ESPN Top 10 G5 that can make playoffs

Bigdaddyg1
School: Appalachian State

Re: ESPN Top 10 G5 that can make playoffs

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue May 21, 2024 7:37 am

I've asked this question before as it relates to (mainly the Panthers as I'm trying to hang on with them) but would you, as a fan take a Super Bowl win if you knew you would go 5-12 the next 5 years? As an App fan would you take a trip to the CFP if you knew it would result in a 50-7 blowout loss followed by 5 losing seasons or would you rather have an 12-1 (including a Belt championship) and a NY6 game followed by 5 consistently winning seasons?

In the first scenario do you want 5 good seasons which includes some playoff runs but no SB win? I'd take the Super Bowl win for the pro part but I'm not sure about the App question.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue May 21, 2024 7:56 am

For Panthers fans, seems like a logical question given they are terrible and understand losing on a regular basis.
The question seems illogical for me as an App. St. fan as App. St. has always or almost always been good, very good to great as my time as a fan (mid 90s).
As such, my thought process is why can't we have both..... always be good...in some years get shot at NY6 and occasionally an opportunity at the playoffs.

As a result, I cannot answer your poll as it is a poll that is beyond my comprehension..😂😂😂😂😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:21 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:56 am
For Panthers fans, seems like a logical question given they are terrible and understand losing on a regular basis.
The question seems illogical for me as an App. St. fan as App. St. has always or almost always been good, very good to great as my time as a fan (mid 90s).
As such, my thought process is why can't we have both..... always be good...in some years get shot at NY6 and occasionally an opportunity at the playoffs.

As a result, I cannot answer your poll as it is a poll that is beyond my comprehension..😂😂😂😂😂
I get what you're saying and I'm with you in reality but I really just threw it out there as a what if. Sure why not have it all but if it came down to basically an all or nothing what's the choice? I didn't throw in winning the CFP as that would absolutely be a no brainer. Clemson lived off of 1982 for many seasons. They may not have completely fallen off but they milked that championship for all it was worth. I really just wanted to see how much it's worth to simply make the CFP even if it results in a big loss. A really good G5 who makes that run will get national press for weeks and that's probably really valuable especially for us. Going 12-1 and making the NY6 gets slightly less attention.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue May 21, 2024 10:29 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 8:21 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:56 am

I get what you're saying and I'm with you in reality but I really just threw it out there as a what if. Sure why not have it all but if it came down to basically an all or nothing what's the choice? I didn't throw in winning the CFP as that would absolutely be a no brainer. Clemson lived off of 1982 for many seasons. They may not have completely fallen off but they milked that championship for all it was worth. I really just wanted to see how much it's worth to simply make the CFP even if it results in a big loss. A really good G5 who makes that run will get national press for weeks and that's probably really valuable especially for us. Going 12-1 and making the NY6 gets slightly less attention.
I was just having a little fun with the reply.
It is a good poll question for the off season.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Tue May 21, 2024 11:48 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 3:08 pm
Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:26 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 8:44 am
So to all the folks on this board who have suggested that App making the CFP, doesn’t this demonstrate that there are analyst out there that see App having a reasonable path to CFP? Shouldn’t that be a goal for this year’s team? They show Boise as first but they have three P5 opponents on their schedule and they would have to run table.
don't think Boise has to go undefeated to make it. they could win 1/3 of those P4 games and still make it because the Mountain West has a good reputation.
I will take App with 13-0 against Boise St 12-1 this year all day long. If we don't beat somebody (i.e. Clemson and/or Liberty and others) then we don't deserve to be in CFP. You have to prove you deserve to be there. Back in the old days the top teams had to literally go undefeated and beat somebody to get to top bowls, why is our situation so different?
Are you high? Please go back and read what I typed. Not once did I mention I would take Boise 12-1 over an undefeated App. I don't think any of the G5's are going undefeated though and I do think we need to beat Clemson (and Liberty) and not lose more than one game to make the CFP though.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue May 21, 2024 11:57 am

Tue May 21, 2024 11:48 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
So to all the folks on this board who have suggested that App making the CFP, doesn’t this demonstrate that there are analyst out there that see App having a reasonable path to CFP? Shouldn’t that be a goal for this year’s team? They show Boise as first but they have three P5 opponents on their schedule and they would have to run table.
don't think Boise has to go undefeated to make it. they could win 1/3 of those P4 games and still make it because the Mountain West has a good reputation.
I will take App with 13-0 against Boise St 12-1 this year all day long. If we don't beat somebody (i.e. Clemson and/or Liberty and others) then we don't deserve to be in CFP. You have to prove you deserve to be there. Back in the old days the top teams had to literally go undefeated and beat somebody to get to top bowls, why is our situation so different?
Are you high? Please go back and read what I typed. Not once did i mention i would take Boise 12-1 over an undefeated App. I don't think any of the G5's are going undefeated though.
Nope, I am not high. However, you suggested that Boise could make CFP and still lose 2 games. So the way this works is the 5 highest ranked conference champions get into CFP. Therefore, it appeared you were implying Boise with 2 losses would get in over 4 other G5 conference champions with what records? I don't disagree that if all G5 Champs have 2 losses Boise may get picked over the others but again you seem to be implying that Boise would get picked over another G5 Champ with a better record. Can you explain to what extent you feel Boise gets preference? I would say "it depends" on who others beat and who they lost to.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Tue May 21, 2024 12:19 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 11:57 am
Tue May 21, 2024 11:48 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Are you high? Please go back and read what I typed. Not once did i mention i would take Boise 12-1 over an undefeated App. I don't think any of the G5's are going undefeated though.
Nope, I am not high. However, you suggested that Boise could make CFP and still lose 2 games. So the way this works is the 5 highest ranked conference champions get into CFP. Therefore, it appeared you were implying Boise with 2 losses would get in over 4 other G5 conference champions with what records? I don't disagree that if all G5 Champs have 2 losses Boise may get picked over the others but again you seem to be implying that Boise would get picked over another G5 Champ with a better record. Can you explain to what extent you feel Boise gets preference? I would say "it depends" on who others beat and who they lost to.
You commented on Boise so I did as well. MW is rated the best G5 conference so they'll get the benefit of the doubt unless an App, JMU, Coastal, etc have a big P5 win. Boise could win games vs Oregon State and Wash State but lose to Oregon and maybe a crazy Mountain West game. If things break right, they def could lose two games and get in. If Liberty loses to App but runs their sorry schedule then Boise will get in over them. We App loses to Liberty but beats Clemson then we would get in. If that is flipped then they'll get in, imo. Memphis can't really afford to lose to anyone other than FSU and make it.

This is what it boils down to imo. If the MW winner has two losses, they'll get in over a one loss Liberty(especially after last years ass whooping in their bowl game) or Sun Belt winner with one loss unless it's App with a win vs Clemson or similar win for another team.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue May 21, 2024 2:46 pm

This article couldn’t have come at a better time. For a while now, I was beginning to think people here were running out of stuff to argue about.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue May 21, 2024 10:39 pm

The other wrinkle the CFP committee added last year, is your 12-1 team healthier than the other 12-1 team. An injury at the end of the year could hurt.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed May 22, 2024 11:58 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 10:39 pm
The other wrinkle the CFP committee added last year, is your 12-1 team healthier than the other 12-1 team. An injury at the end of the year could hurt.
Ah, the old moving target
BLACK SATURDAY

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed May 22, 2024 2:52 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 2:46 pm
This article couldn’t have come at a better time. For a while now, I was beginning to think people here were running out of stuff to argue about.
Yeah, and I want to know why Appalachian's colors are Black and Gold.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”