Troy Discussion

biggie
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Troy Discussion

Unread post by biggie » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:41 am

Troy I thought was missing a few starters to injury vs ULL, not sure what their health looks like for Saturday.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:19 am

From a purely statistical point of view, prior to last week, Troy had the best defense in the Sun Belt. That honor now goes to South Alabama and Troy is second. The good news is that Troy's rushing defense isn't as strong as that of South Alabama but it is only like 4 yards a game off. Troy has the #3 rushing defense and #2 passing defense in the Sun Belt. If you look at individual defensive stats in the Sun Belt, it is littered with Troy players including the leader in tackles, sacks, tackles for loss. This will be a tough game for sure.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:49 am

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:50 am

Helms apparently tried to go last week.

Jolly seems like he should be good for this week.

Nothing on Spurlin currently, they are investigating.

I didn't get to hear the live broadcast before that, I'll have to wait until it ends.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:09 pm

What was with Clark’s last statement “where’s Ethan “?
Bring Your A Game!

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:10 pm

Did Helms not break his foot?

What is their to investigating? The ONLY items to investigate are: the multiple late hits clearly out of bounds not called on SO AL, the mystical flag when SO AL fumbled the punt...

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:14 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:09 pm
What was with Clark’s last statement “where’s Ethan “?
Think he’s getting frustrated that the WSJ is making Ethan focus on WF

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:19 pm

appgrad2010 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:10 pm
Last I heard it was a knee issue. Clark said last week that he thought it was going to be good news. I haven’t seen anything official though. But apparently it’s not too bad.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:57 pm

biggie wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:40 am
Peoples is probably banged up a little.

I assume Harrington had a set back.

Haven't heard any update on Jolly.

We haven't heard anything on Helms.

We haven't heard if there will be anything further on Spurlin.
Jolly was a sprained left ankle. He should have been back by now so it will be interesting to see if he indeed plays this week. Helms was walking on the sideline so I wonder if he has a chance to return by GSU or the SBC title game?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:20 pm

Is there anything, given we lost to ULL, that can happen which will allow the championship game to be played in Boone?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:35 pm

biggie wrote:

I did see Helms on the sidelines and he seemed to walking normally. That, of course, doesn't mean he's ready to play but obviously the injury was not as severe as it initially seemed.

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:44 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:20 pm
Is there anything, given we lost to ULL, that can happen which will allow the championship game to be played in Boone?
Nope. They only have 1 conference game left, are 7-0 and hold the tie breaker(H2H) against us.
Last edited by JPatH3292 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:45 pm

NewApp wrote:
No, they have two games left but only 1 conf game (ULM) so even if they loose, they would be tied with us (if we win our last 2) and they have the 1v1 tie breaker. I believe they are already selling tickets for the SB title game.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:48 pm

NewApp wrote:
I don't believe so. UL only has one more conference game left, so the worst they could do in 7-1 and the best we can do is 7-1 in the conference if we win both of our games. They, of course, hold the tie-breaker against us.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:51 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:05 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:59 pm
If we keep our interceptions and fumbles rolling all our opponents have a chance if they can stop our zone runs, thankfully our D has been playing like a champion since Louisiana.

First half of the season we couldn’t buy a turnover, lately the flood gate has opened.
I share your concern but deep ball interceptions are not as concerning to me.

I felt that we forced the deep ball more than we should have. The intermediate passing game was very successful this week and I hope it is included more against Troy...Get the ball in Sutton & Hennigans hands and let them get yards after the catch.
This! USA's run defense was their strength. We kept running straight into that. When we passed, seems we threw downfield an awful lot. I think we could have marched all day throwing intermediate passes. I'm not sure why we didn't. Ponce has had a good plan most of the year, so I don't see a negative pattern. Hopefully against Troy our plan is more cohesive. I don't think we ever see Hennigan fumble twice again. That was a total anomaly. I hate it for him. On to Troy! GO APPS!
I was saying the same thing sitting in the stadium. We had very good success with intermediate throws (except the overthrow to a wide open Gibbs on about the 10 yard line). Seems like it was run, bomb, run bomb most of the game. I like deep shots (not as many as Saturday) but with the LB's sucking up to support the run, the middle of the field is open for WR's and TE's and so are quick outs bc our Receivers get good cushion at the line. Chase is very accurate usually on these throws, any issues with his abilities should be put to rest on that reception deep into the 4th where he went threw his progressions, threw it on the money on his 3-4 read, while getting rocked. brilliant play.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:46 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
If we keep our interceptions and fumbles rolling all our opponents have a chance if they can stop our zone runs, thankfully our D has been playing like a champion since Louisiana.

First half of the season we couldn’t buy a turnover, lately the flood gate has opened.

I felt that we forced the deep ball more than we should have. The intermediate passing game was very successful this week and I hope it is included more against Troy...Get the ball in Sutton & Hennigans hands and let them get yards after the catch.
Facts. And alternating out receivers every other drive and expecting it to not throw off Chase's timing on the deep throws is short sighted. The young guys will grt there chance, no need to force it like some rec league football
The Appalachian State

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:03 pm

biggie wrote:

I caught Clark's press conference this morning. He said he expects Jolly to be back Saturday. He was disturbingly tight lipped about Spurlin and the second time he was asked about it he was a little bit cranky with his answer which was basically "we're looking into it and that's all I'm going to comment on it now."

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:28 pm

Troy's defense the last two years was the slowest in the Sun Belt IMO. Especially after you get to the second level. I wonder if most of their tackles and defensive stats come from having teams in front of them or if they're really that different.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:53 pm

appgrad2010 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:10 pm

What is their to investigating? The ONLY items to investigate are: the multiple late hits clearly out of bounds not called on SO AL, the mystical flag when SO AL fumbled the punt...
A HALO violation of the punt receiver is a foul you can see in every game you watch and never called either, just happen to called when South Al gaffed.
BLACK SATURDAY

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:51 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:51 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

This! USA's run defense was their strength. We kept running straight into that. When we passed, seems we threw downfield an awful lot. I think we could have marched all day throwing intermediate passes. I'm not sure why we didn't. Ponce has had a good plan most of the year, so I don't see a negative pattern. Hopefully against Troy our plan is more cohesive. I don't think we ever see Hennigan fumble twice again. That was a total anomaly. I hate it for him. On to Troy! GO APPS!
I was saying the same thing sitting in the stadium. We had very good success with intermediate throws (except the overthrow to a wide open Gibbs on about the 10 yard line). Seems like it was run, bomb, run bomb most of the game. I like deep shots (not as many as Saturday) but with the LB's sucking up to support the run, the middle of the field is open for WR's and TE's and so are quick outs bc our Receivers get good cushion at the line. Chase is very accurate usually on these throws, any issues with his abilities should be put to rest on that reception deep into the 4th where he went threw his progressions, threw it on the money on his 3-4 read, while getting rocked. brilliant play.
I feel like he's accurate but it seems like he's throwing it a step or 2 late. If were running route combinations with just 1 or 2 deep routes, those need to be his first options in the progression and then check it down to backs or crossers. 3 or 4 times Saturday I feel like Malik had his corner beat with no safety help and the throw was made late allowing the corner to close the gap. That's why we only hit 1 real bomb. If he can find that timing again, he's gonna light em up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”