Unread post by App91 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:00 pm

Sunshine Squad is out in full force!!

App91
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2-0

Unread post by App91 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:03 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:28 pm
Aside for a few run fits, we shut down their running game. Reynolds played like an All American today.
Um, they hung 41 on us, only 1 less than they hung on GW who is at the bottom of the FCS. If that doesn’t cause concern then you aren’t paying attention
Last edited by App91 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trock44

Unread post by Trock44 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:08 pm

This was the worst defensive performance I have ever seen from App State. The 4-3 defense obviously doesn’t work. The play calling was terrible and these guys are playing to their weaknesses.

Fire Ted Roof, I’ll take coach Gas or DJ Smith as the DC any day.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:09 pm

Special teams is legit. O did what the coaches wanted them to. D on the other hand USA dumpster fire. No improvement there only regressing. Something about a roof. Definitely some leaks in that roof.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:10 pm

App91 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:03 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:28 pm
Aside for a few run fits, we shut down their running game. Reynolds played like an All American today.
Um, they hung 41 on us, only 1 less than they hung on GW who is at the bottom of the FCS. If that doesn’t cause concern they you aren’t paying attention
That’s what is scaring me. Our D is pretty much the same as GW. We are in trouble.

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:12 pm

Watching Drinks press conference, he seemed very aggravated when they asked about the defense and openly said that offense and special teams won the game.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:31 pm

ukappfan wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:12 pm
Watching Drinks press conference, he seemed very aggravated when they asked about the defense and openly said that offense and special teams won the game.
Yeah, I heard that too. It gave me a little relief that Drink sounded as pissed as I felt at that moment.
The Appalachian State

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:33 pm

Is the whole presser posted yet? I love the pressers. Drink is a good coach ... I believe that. O is doing what it needs to. I hope Drink fixes our D back.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:42 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:45 pm
And we have two of the most important games in our programs history this year.... UNC and USC. Both were winnable games coming into this season. For me, loosing them would be a step back.
Hate to tell ya but even with Satt here it was from from a guarantee we would be one of those two, let alone both. Some have y’all have really become spoiled by 10 wins over 8 SBC school, an FCS school, and another G5 school. We haven’t even beat top G5 teams and y’all think it’s a guarantee we should knock of P5s. Satt wasn’t able to pull off a P5 win in 5 years but it’s taking a step back if Drink doesn’t do it year 1? Makes a ton of sense. I thought ECU fans are delusional, jeez.

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:51 pm

If it weren’t for Darrynton Evans we wouldn’t be close to 2-0 right now. Charlotte fans would be laughing in our face. Ted Roof should buy him steak dinners every night for the rest of the season! Kid is a beast!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:53 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:42 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
And we have two of the most important games in our programs history this year.... UNC and USC. Both were winnable games coming into this season. For me, loosing them would be a step back.
Hate to tell ya but even with Satt here it was from from a guarantee we would be one of those two, let alone both. Some have y’all have really become spoiled by 10 wins over 8 SBC school, an FCS school, and another G5 school. We haven’t even beat top G5 teams and y’all think it’s a guarantee we should knock of P5s. Satt wasn’t able to pull off a P5 win in 5 years but it’s taking a step back if Drink doesn’t do it year 1? Makes a ton of sense. I thought ECU fans are delusional, jeez.
But this is the first time we had this level of talent going into a game against a non ranked P5. If our defense looked like last 2 seasons mixed with this Drink offense (add Sutton), I would be disappointed if we didn’t win by double digits against both Carolinas. I think we are all having amnesia regarding how great this defense was last year. With Zacs injury and some of the tight spots we out our defense last year, they ALWAYS came through. They weren’t perfect, but dang were they special.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 pm

Apple@chin1 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:51 pm
If it weren’t for Darrynton Evans we wouldn’t be close to 2-0 right now. Charlotte fans would be laughing in our face. Ted Roof should buy him steak dinners every night for the rest of the season! Kid is a beast!
Evans added some weight this summer and hasn’t appeared to lose any speed. He recognized his weakness and worked on it in the offseason. He is now an every down back who can run through tackles and doesn’t need the zone blocking scheme to be successful. He has taken a big leap forward as a RB and I am very impressed.
The Appalachian State

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:57 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:53 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:
But this is the first time we had this level of talent going into a game against a non ranked P5. If our defense looked like last 2 seasons mixed with this Drink offense (add Sutton), I would be disappointed if we didn’t win by double digits against both Carolinas. I think we are all having amnesia regarding how great this defense was last year. With Zacs injury and some of the tight spots we out our defense last year, they ALWAYS came through. They weren’t perfect, but dang were they special.
What level of talent? We lost 2 corners to the NFL and Myqoun Stout, our most important defensive piece. You can’t just disregard that to try and prove your point. As I’ve said in another thread, we aren’t Alabama. We’re in the SunBelt. It’s gonna take time to work the new guys in and catch them up to speed. I didn’t see anyone complaining last week. Now everyone freaks out over a one game sample.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:05 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:57 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:
What level of talent? We lost 2 corners to the NFL and Myqoun Stout, our most important defensive piece. You can’t just disregard that to try and prove your point.
OK. But we also have a lot of returning guys with more experience under their belts. We have a QB in his second year with a stout group of receivers. We have an absolutely LOADED backfield (even with Camerun out). The DB losses are big, and so is Stout, but our young DBs can be protected by not putting them on islands like Roof has done. Our original defensive scheme could hide those personnel losses (if we had stuck with it) and our LBs are good enough to compensate for losing that plug in the middle. So yes, we have “that level of talent” to bring to Chapel Hill and Columbia.
The Appalachian State

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:19 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:05 am
Yosef10 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:
What level of talent? We lost 2 corners to the NFL and Myqoun Stout, our most important defensive piece. You can’t just disregard that to try and prove your point.
OK. But we also have a lot of returning guys with more experience under their belts. We have a QB in his second year with a stout group of receivers. We have an absolutely LOADED backfield (even with Camerun out). The DB losses are big, and so is Stout, but our young DBs can be protected by not putting them on islands like Roof has done. Our original defensive scheme could hide those personnel losses (if we had stuck with it) and our LBs are good enough to compensate for losing that plug in the middle. So yes, we have “that level of talent” to bring to Chapel Hill and Columbia.
We lost a ton of production and leadership that you’re just glossing over on the defensive side of the ball while heaping praise on a QB and RB stable on a side of the ball that has done just what we expected, average 52.5 points over 2 games. Everyone’s complaining over the defense, which like i said lost a ton that people are just choosing to gloss over. While also ignoring that Charlotte has made leaps and bounds since we played them last year. I’m not saying what I saw on defense was great, but it wasnt so unpredictable that this could happen early in the season no matter the opponent...the pitchforks shouldn’t already be out after game 2 of which we are 2-0. It’s a pretty bad look for a fan base IMO.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:34 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:19 am
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

We lost a ton of production and leadership that you’re just glossing over on the defensive side of the ball while heaping praise on a QB and RB stable on a side of the ball that has done just what we expected, average 52.5 points over 2 games. Everyone’s complaining over the defense, which like i said lost a ton that people are just choosing to gloss over. While also ignoring that Charlotte has made leaps and bounds since we played them last year. I’m not saying what I saw on defense was great, but it wasnt so unpredictable that this could happen early in the season no matter the opponent...the pitchforks shouldn’t already be out after game 2 of which we are 2-0. It’s a pretty bad look for a fan base IMO.
For the record, I still love Drink. I think he’s a brilliant mind that will do great things here. However, when he got hired a lot of us thought his only mistake was making Ted Roof DC. Seriously, that’s the only thing I complained about. Those complaints already have validation. So many of us saw that being a disaster hire from a mile away.

With that being said, we are indeed 2-0 and could have a dominant offense

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:07 am

2-0 never felt so... unsettling
Yes, we have put up points, but it is against FCS level defenses. Charlotte let Gardner Web put up 4 TDS and we only pulled away from ETSU in second half when depth differences from less scholarships became noticeable.
We aren’t taking many shots downfield. We were successful when we did, but if we wait as long as we did today to go downfield, we will be way behind with better competition. Sutton out has hurt somewhat, but we have plenty of downfield threats.
There is no excuse or reasoning for the falling off of the defense other than changing schemes. Yes we lost some great players after last season, but their back ups have plenty of reps and are often jrs and srs themselves, so it’s not like we are breaking in freshmen.
Drink needs to seriously evaluate our defensive philosophy during the off week and make some real changes or it will be a long season.
Ga St beat UT, ULM is a missed PAT away from 2OT with FSU. There will be no cupcakes on the rest of our schedule this year.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:12 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:19 am
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

Sorry. If you think I "gloss" over anything, go read my thorough breakdown of why Roof's scheme is killing us. I'm not trying to be "high and mighty", but I am blessed to have a lot of "inside" info on the team and I try to post a lot of what I can on here because I love all of you who have a passion for App like I do. This team is not a rebuild, and yes, UNCC is a lot better (I went to their home. Opener), but there is simply no reason why we gave up 40+ to them. We have every right to bring our the pitchforks. I'm not even denying the fact that Roof can do a better job, but with the talent we had for a 3-4 scheme, there is no reason why we should be playing his version of a 4-3 hybrid at this point. It's asanine.
The Appalachian State

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 am

YosefsMarchToTheSea wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:27 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:17 pm
Improving??? On defense? What game did you watch?
Defense needs work, but we are still 2-0. UNCC can puff out their chests and brag about how they only lost by 15 points when they’re sitting at home this bn.owl seaso It’s really the only tradition that program has been able to put together.
IF they are sitting at home during bowl season. It's possible they are better than we think. Not probable, but possible.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:36 am

The 4-3 worked well enough to get a couple or more sacks.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”