Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Is it time to rethink the sports we offer ?

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Is it time to rethink the sports we offer ?

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed May 08, 2024 11:50 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:31 am
I am going to go back to golf because Stonewall is speaking golf often on this thread. It would not kill us if we gave up golf but raising money for golf in the area App is located should be easy. You could literally get each country club in the area to sponsor a golf scholarship. I bet each course would offer the use of their course and practice facilities for free and they would pile money in. I am just guessing on this but I would be very surprised if I were wrong. Also as far as exposure...CBS and the golf channel routinely put the pga leader board up with the school they attended. I hope one day to see a former App player on that board.
A fair take . My question now: Are we doing this? Have we tried and been rebuffed ? A Trustee told me that he brokered a deal some years ago where a golf course would be donated to the us if we would maintain and operate it. The owner would retain the housing development rights. It was before Doug Gillin. Anyway , we said no.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 08, 2024 11:54 am

Stonewall wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:50 am
spacemonkey wrote:
I am going to go back to golf because Stonewall is speaking golf often on this thread. It would not kill us if we gave up golf but raising money for golf in the area App is located should be easy. You could literally get each country club in the area to sponsor a golf scholarship. I bet each course would offer the use of their course and practice facilities for free and they would pile money in. I am just guessing on this but I would be very surprised if I were wrong. Also as far as exposure...CBS and the golf channel routinely put the pga leader board up with the school they attended. I hope one day to see a former App player on that board.
A fair take . My question now: Are we doing this? Have we tried and been rebuffed ? A Trustee told me that he brokered a deal some years ago where a golf course would be donated to the us if we would maintain and operate it. The owner would retain the housing development rights. It was before Doug Gillin. Anyway , we said no.
Methodist College has a similar arrangement with Kings Grant Golf Course in Fayetteville. Granted, they have a top notch golf management program, so it makes sense for OJT.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed May 08, 2024 12:03 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:38 am
bcoach wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:19 am
The question was would you notice and not who is winning championships. The fact that they are winning championships and people would not notice is actually kind of telling.
Wrestling adds more seats every year and has grown attendance after going to ticketed entry with rising prices. People would notice even if you don't care.
Don't take my comment so personal. I have nothing against wrestling, it's just that I and many others would not notice. That does not mean I feel we should get rid of it. I hope it flourishes for those who follow it. I regret it when we eliminate any sport because it is an opportunity for the kids. There are just some I and others would not notice. The question was not should we eliminate it, was would some notice.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed May 08, 2024 12:05 pm

Stonewall wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
Opperating a golf course is way too expensive.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed May 08, 2024 2:49 pm

Golf courses can generate revenue , especially when they are tax exempt. It also opens up significant opportunities for various majors and classes to utilize. Furman does a really nice job with theirs. They leverage it heavily in fundraising with events. The point though is having a team that plays every match “away” and has no real home. Imagine any other sport with that scenario. I’m not saying we need a golf course, or frankly, a golf team .

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Wed May 08, 2024 3:41 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 2:49 pm
Golf courses can generate revenue , especially when they are tax exempt. It also opens up significant opportunities for various majors and classes to utilize. Furman does a really nice job with theirs. They leverage it heavily in fundraising with events. The point though is having a team that plays every match “away” and has no real home. Imagine any other sport with that scenario. I’m not saying we need a golf course, or frankly, a golf team .
we don't need a women's golf team

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed May 08, 2024 3:58 pm

bcoach wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 12:05 pm
Stonewall wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
Operating a golf course is way too expensive.
In a bubble, yes. However, if you have an existing grounds crew (like we have on campus) and you have the opportunity to use the clubhouse to generate revenue with both campus and social events, it could be break even to profitable. NC State and UNC-Cheat both have their own courses.

Also, could an agreement be reached to use part of the land for Cross Country, Mountain Biking, as a disc golf course for App Students, etc. Can you put in covered practice facilities (UNCC has one at Rocky River GC in Concord)

It could be a very good fit for the university. Just takes the right vision.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 08, 2024 4:07 pm

The Spring season is almost over before most courses in the high country open.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Wed May 08, 2024 4:26 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 3:58 pm
bcoach wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
In a bubble, yes. However, if you have an existing grounds crew (like we have on campus) and you have the opportunity to use the clubhouse to generate revenue with both campus and social events, it could be break even to profitable. NC State and UNC-Cheat both have their own courses.

Also, could an agreement be reached to use part of the land for Cross Country, Mountain Biking, as a disc golf course for App Students, etc. Can you put in covered practice facilities (UNCC has one at Rocky River GC in Concord)

Golf courses are a whole package financially in my experience. They either make a majority of their from a combination of membership dues, food and beverage and clubhouse events (weddings, parties ect). The golf itself maybe breaks even. But that’s if you’re playing year-round.

Could the school make money with its extensive resources if they right course was available close to Boone? Probably, but I think it could also be a wash and has a high enough probability to be a black hole of money that I’d shy away from it. There is a reason courses are getting bought out left and right by club corp and other like minded business.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed May 08, 2024 4:40 pm

Golf should go, men and women. With all the travel and equipment, it has to be expensive. I’m sure it’s just a drop in the bucket though. There’s no way we are recruiting the best golfers. We don’t need to have sports teams just to have sports teams. Field teams that fit our region.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Wed May 08, 2024 7:17 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

We've had multiple positions in landscaping open for years. I wouldn't put an 18 hole golf course on them, as well.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed May 08, 2024 9:49 pm

Do we not still have the golf practice area in varsity (old handball courts) ? The local courses used to offer free play to golf team.
Bring Your A Game!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed May 08, 2024 11:35 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

Golf courses are not run by a landscape crew so I am very sure we do not have the people to properly take care of a course. It is no simple task to run a golf course. I have worked with experts on the subject and in the 4 development cases I have brought to them they have highly recomended that we put any thought of a golf course out of our thoughts. They are a money pit. The proper vision in the eyes of the experts is to look the other way.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Thu May 09, 2024 12:16 pm

As of about 5 years ago when I looked in to buying a course with a couple buddies, golf course superintendents are making 100k-120k a year for a public course. The grounds managers are at 60-80k. There are usually 3 of these. And this doesn't include any supplies/material or other employees. That's simply to manage keeping the facility looking nice. Not the labor or supplies, equipment, and material to actually make it look nice.

Our research stopped there as the machinery to maintain a high quality course is even more!

Starting the management of a golf course is not cheap. But, once it becomes a well oiled machine, it's a cash cow.

Does App have the resources to make it become a well oiled machine though?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu May 09, 2024 1:25 pm

Stonewall wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
Now why do you think he was willing to give it away?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu May 09, 2024 4:35 pm

The package included all the buildings, maintenance equipment, stock , carts and most of all , no debt. The gentleman was older and wanted a tax write off spread over several years . The real estate was worth millions. Best I recall anyway.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Fri May 10, 2024 7:36 am

If college athletics begins the 'revenue sharing" that is being tossed around at the P5 level and like new AD at Texas A-M recently made staff cuts/layoffs is happening, you best believe App State will be cutting 2/3 sports in the future.

DG wanted to cut Golf in 2020, Big Money Man Ricks said no.

I could very well see non scholarship sports in the department if this transpires or it will be bare min to meet title 9 requirements, non revenue / country club sports will get the slash.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:43 am

Cutting golf as a budgetary need is like putting a band aid on a gun shot wound.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri May 10, 2024 7:47 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:36 am
If college athletics begins the 'revenue sharing" that is being tossed around at the P5 level and like new AD at Texas A-M recently made staff cuts/layoffs is happening, you best believe App State will be cutting 2/3 sports in the future.

I could very well see non scholarship sports in the department if this transpires or it will be bare min to meet title 9 requirements, non revenue / country club sports will get the slash.
You have to have revenue to be able to share it. We and many others survive on student fees. In the wake of heavy student debt those fees are being looked at very seriously. Boy wasn't paying players more than we have been a great idea?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:51 am

bcoach wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:47 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:36 am

You have to have revenue to be able to share it. We and many others survive on student fees. In the wake of heavy student debt those fees are being looked at very seriously. Boy wasn't paying players more than we have been a great idea?
For the big schools specifically, hopefully revenue sharing slows dow facility enhancements and the bells and whistles to attract kids.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”