Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

G5 Poll

Bigdaddyg1
School: Appalachian State

Re: G5 Poll

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue May 07, 2024 9:55 am

It's a shame that the enjoyment of even a regular season has diminished due to the obsession with the playoffs. While that's the ultimate goal along with being the champ the reality is something that many refuse to accept. One of the really big obstacles that an App faces is injury and depth (or lack there of). We basically have to go (at minimum) 11-1 in the regular season, then beat a quality Belt team for our conference championship. Then we have to hope for enough healthy dudes to win the next game at the home of a (probably) 10-2 P5. If we make that game and get smashed is that it for the season? No bowl or anything else? I've asked this many times, who had the authority to delete conferences and teams as P or G? Someone once sent a link to something but to me the designations don't seem legal. We are D1 and on the same post season level with Alabama in baseball and basketball even if the Belt is a one bid league. The fact remains that we have the same shot in both sports. Why is football different for 130 teams who are theoretically the same level? I'd be ok with letting the top 4 G5's play for a championship if none of them made the CFP. To me playing a top G5 is better then going to Mobile and playing an 8-4 MAC team for the Fritos Salsa Bowl on December 19 in front of 13,000 people.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue May 07, 2024 11:08 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 9:55 am
It's a shame that the enjoyment of even a regular season has diminished due to the obsession with the playoffs. While that's the ultimate goal along with being the champ the reality is something that many refuse to accept. One of the really big obstacles that an App faces is injury and depth (or lack there of). We basically have to go (at minimum) 11-1 in the regular season, then beat a quality Belt team for our conference championship. Then we have to hope for enough healthy dudes to win the next game at the home of a (probably) 10-2 P5. If we make that game and get smashed is that it for the season? No bowl or anything else? I've asked this many times, who had the authority to delete conferences and teams as P or G? Someone once sent a link to something but to me the designations don't seem legal. We are D1 and on the same post season level with Alabama in baseball and basketball even if the Belt is a one bid league. The fact remains that we have the same shot in both sports. Why is football different for 130 teams who are theoretically the same level? I'd be ok with letting the top 4 G5's play for a championship if none of them made the CFP. To me playing a top G5 is better then going to Mobile and playing an 8-4 MAC team for the Fritos Salsa Bowl on December 19 in front of 13,000 people.
I am very hopeful that this new bill in the legislature works out and we get to play UNC, NCSU, Charlotte and ECU on a regular basis. You add in our Belt games with GSU, Marshall, JMU and CC and that’s one hell of a regular season. Point is I feel like that gives us a shot every year at a very satisfying regular season. And a chance to claim to be the best in NC.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue May 07, 2024 2:41 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
That is the point, the current system is unfair. It is especially unfair to teams like Appalachian, Marshall, Georgia Southern, James Madison, and even ULM. These schools have been on top of the mountain, with the exception of ULM, multiple times. The haves do not want everyone to know what frauds they really are and the return on investment is not there. Take Texas A&M, Michigan and every team from an autonomous conference that has lost to a nonautonomous conference and that shows you what kind of fraud has taken place. This is the real reason the current system is unfair to keep from revealing the fraud.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 07, 2024 2:49 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:43 am
Seems like the first salvo towards separation.
It does and I feel like with all of these teams moving up that there is becoming more and more of a separation in the schools at this level. They feel that Michigan, Georgia, etc do not belong in the same level as Kennesaw State, Sam Houston, Akron, etc. I do wish there was minimum requirements on FBS that would force a group of them to drop down. Even if that did happen I think we are still going to end up in tier two. One of the big reasons I supported our move up from the start was knowing that if we stayed in FCS we would be in the third tier of college football.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 07, 2024 3:05 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:49 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
It does and I feel like with all of these teams moving up that there is becoming more and more of a separation in the schools at this level. They feel that Michigan, Georgia, etc do not belong in the same level as Kennesaw State, Sam Houston, Akron, etc. I do wish there was minimum requirements on FBS that would force a group of them to drop down. Even if that did happen I think we are still going to end up in tier two. One of the big reasons I supported our move up from the start was knowing that if we stayed in FCS we would be in the third tier of college football.
I don’t disagree with their rationale as it applies to schools like Michigan, Georgia, Ohio State, and Alabama. But one could argue that it doesn’t apply to schools like Minnesota, Rutgers, Maryland, Missouri, Kansas St. and the like. The gap between 1-10 and everyone else is larger than the one between 11-132.

KentHogan

Unread post by KentHogan » Tue May 07, 2024 4:32 pm

For a while I felt App’s goal should be to make a New Year 6 Bowl game. Now that things have changed, the goal should be to make the playoff, whether we can win it or not.

We can’t win the NCAA tournament but we desperately want to get a bid, so why not feel the same about the football playoff.

Don’t care for the idea of a G5 playoff, have always hoped we would end up in a Power conference one day. I can hope!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 07, 2024 4:51 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:05 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
I don’t disagree with their rationale as it applies to schools like Michigan, Georgia, Ohio State, and Alabama. But one could argue that it doesn’t apply to schools like Minnesota, Rutgers, Maryland, Missouri, Kansas St. and the like. The gap between 1-10 and everyone else is larger than the one between 11-132.
Even if they break away into two power leagues then I think we might see about 40-50 separate and a lot of schools like Rutgers, Kansas State, etc get left behind in tier two. I wonder if the gap between Georgia and Missouri is as big as the gap between Missouri and App or App and say Akron?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 07, 2024 5:31 pm

KentHogan wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:32 pm
For a while I felt App’s goal should be to make a New Year 6 Bowl game. Now that things have changed, the goal should be to make the playoff, whether we can win it or not.

We can’t win the NCAA tournament but we desperately want to get a bid, so why not feel the same about the football playoff.

Don’t care for the idea of a G5 playoff, have always hoped we would end up in a Power conference one day. I can hope!
You can’t make the NY6 unless you win the conference. You can’t make the CFP unless you win the conference. Winning the CCG is the ceiling for the controllable. Unless you do, nothing else is possible.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 07, 2024 5:39 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:51 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:05 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Even if they break away into two power leagues then I think we might see about 40-50 separate and a lot of schools like Rutgers, Kansas State, etc get left behind in tier two. I wonder if the gap between Georgia and Missouri is as big as the gap between Missouri and App or App and say Akron?
Probably not at the moment but if say a Missouri or a South Carolina get relegated to a tier 2 school, what does that do the motivations to keep up with the spendings to keep up?

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue May 07, 2024 5:50 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:53 am
kornegaylw wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:35 am
Josh Pate on his show Late Kick made a great point about the G5... Realistically the G5 has no shot at winning an expanded playoff. At best you win 2 games. So why participate?

If that's the case then have a separate playoff based on spending/revenue. Have it run concurrently as the P5 playoff and have P5 & Networks buy in to its promotion with the understanding that during the regular season we both P5/G5 match ups still occur.

Relegation will never happen but in 10 years CFB will shake its self up again and we'll good teams can make it then.
Couldn’t you say the same thing about half of the teams in the P5 sect?
Yeah you could...which is why the entire argument is ridiculous.

I don't want another I-AA situation but to me it's inevitable. When the top of the P5 do break away they are going to leave a bunch of schools behind who will all be grouped into what is the G5 now so why wait around. Let's go ahead and do it.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue May 07, 2024 9:02 pm

No.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed May 08, 2024 5:13 am

KentHogan wrote:

I've hoped that we'd end up in a P5 too, but it appears to me enough dominoes will never fall for that to happen,

{edited} but I am for a G5 playoff since we have been made second-third class programs with minimal to no hope above a conference championship and a toilet bowl. Given our programs success and strength, I think G5 championship would be realistic and obtainable - ie. Alabama, LSU, Clemson, etc. on THEIR level. Our 2018 team could have won a G5 playoff National Championship. Conference championships should be a main goal. National Championships are a pinnacle, the bowls we are relegated to are not.

FCS Championships played a big part in the boom to get where the University is now, not sold on the current alignment-structure and toilet bowl or a chance to lose to Alabama by 30 points in an NY6 moves the needle.
Last edited by Black Saturday on Wed May 08, 2024 6:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
BLACK SATURDAY

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed May 08, 2024 5:23 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 5:13 am
KentHogan wrote:

I've hoped that to, but it appears to me enough dominoes will never fall for that to happen.
I think setting goals for a sports team is much like creating a budget for a corporation. You create your realistic budget based on current market conditions and what you believe will happen over the budget period. Then, you set stretch goals that are not unrealistic, but require everything to fall into place. To me, the SunBelt championship game should be the realistic budget for every season, and making the CFP should be the stretch goal, not unattainable, but requires some fortuitous bounces.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed May 08, 2024 6:23 am

AppWyo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:41 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
That is the point, the current system is unfair. It is especially unfair to teams like Appalachian, Marshall, Georgia Southern, James Madison, and even ULM. These schools have been on top of the mountain, with the exception of ULM, multiple times. The haves do not want everyone to know what frauds they really are and the return on investment is not there. Take Texas A&M, Michigan and every team from an autonomous conference that has lost to a nonautonomous conference and that shows you what kind of fraud has taken place. This is the real reason the current system is unfair to keep from revealing the fraud.
This is a lot of the same argument that was had when considering jumping from FCS to FBS. I don't know the answer, and honestly, I'm tired of thinking about it.
But you've both nailed it with how it is intentionally built to be unfair. This is the biggest reason I get mad when people start talking about NIL and transfer rules "ruining" college sports. The unending greed of the top power conferences teams has led to completely unfair playoff formats and the creation of super conferences. THAT is ruining college sports, not Joe Schmo o-lineman transferring twice and getting $1,000 to make a doughnut commercial or whatever.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed May 08, 2024 6:51 am

That’s why I I agreed with Rekdiver, that it’s time for someone to sue the SEC and Big10 for collusion… there has been definite harm done to the majority college football…… there is $$$$ to be made doing this… probably won’t stop the realignment but at least make them pay significantl damages…. Oh and spread the money around better.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 08, 2024 7:13 am

Is there evidence of collusion? I’m not talking about, “well, look at the disparity.” Is there tangible evidence that these two conferences conspired amongst each other, along with ESPN and FOX to create an unfair equity system among college athletics? Unfair doesn’t mean that a foul has occurred. It’s called life, and life isn’t always fair.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed May 08, 2024 7:22 am

Y'all the only G5 team that's got a shot at the P5 is SMU and it's b/c they have the money. They are loaded to the hills and using the left over to wipe their butts. I see it first hand living here in Dallas and listening to their alums

If UCF and Boise can't make it then we can't either. Football is a different beast and a playoff against the best of the G5 and the P5s that got left out will be what we get.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed May 08, 2024 7:28 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 7:13 am
Is there evidence of collusion? I’m not talking about, “well, look at the disparity.” Is there tangible evidence that these two conferences conspired amongst each other, along with ESPN and FOX to create an unfair equity system among college athletics? Unfair doesn’t mean that a foul has occurred. It’s called life, and life isn’t always fair.
Every decision they make elevates themselves and makes it more difficult for the rest. Hard to prove actual "collusion" when two parties are acting in their best interest even if it is occurring. However to pretend the good ole boys club effect isn't at play in college athletics (turned business) would be naive.

Fair is relative as well based upon one's perspective and their goals. The goals of college football today vary by program are much different than 50, 20, or even 5 years ago.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Wed May 08, 2024 7:39 am

It would be quite difficult to prove collusion, especially given that the entity controlling it all (ESPN) perpetually stacks the deck in favor of the SEC/B10 because it aligns with their objectives (increasing ad revenue). The Mothership doesn't have to collude with anyone in this.

So maybe the legal angle isn't conference collusion, but monopoly/restriction of trade?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed May 08, 2024 7:45 am

Can't prove that either, there is no restriction of trade. Other networks don't see the value in the other conferences/programs due to lack of viewers. The game board is set and we have and will in my lifetime always be playing a few pieces short of a full set. It's ok though, that makes the upsets even better.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”