Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Luke Combs and Eric Church Opinions of

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Luke Combs and Eric Church Opinions of

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:46 pm

Putting this in the football folder because there is often discussions about their representing Appalachian on the tours and interviews as well as appearing in our stadium. Country or country pop is not my genre and have never heard any of their songs in entirety, but I know App students, fans, and alumni are proud of their success.

All I want are subjective or objective opinions of the best recordings or performances of their music, lyrics as well as music.

My opinion of their genre is that I like Doc Watson's blue grass music better than each since I have never heard a full song or performance of Luke nor Eric especially of what I've heard mention of their genre.
I'll bow out of this discussion except to comment on this post as being called pointless. And no, I don't care if this thread is two posts long or a hundred.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

MtnMan14

Re: Luke Combs and Eric Church Opinions of

Unread post by MtnMan14 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:03 pm

“I’ve never listened to their music but I don’t care for it. What do you think? Btw get off my lawn.”

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:10 pm

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:27 pm

If this subject is so interesting to you then why don’t you take the time to listen to a fair sampling of their songs? Then you can decide whether you like them or not.

There are many musicians I like and don’t like across the board in all genres. I typically try them out before I pass judgement or say I don’t know if I haven’t heard their stuff. I don’t use the genre tag to determine whether I like ir don’t like a performer without listening to them. I recommend same to anybody.

I like some songs from both these guys but not everything they put out.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:29 pm

MtnMan14 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:03 pm
“I’ve never listened to their music but I don’t care for it. What do you think? Btw get off my lawn.”
I never said I never listened to it. I said I had never listened to a whole song. Basically what I have heard were links on here referencing his interviews and when one of them talked in the coverage of Game Day. I'm just proud of them no matter what they sing. Just wanted to know why folks liked their music. Now if some one wouldn't mind recommending one song from each, I might sacrifice listening to songs I know I like. The whole point is for me to find out why fans like them so much. RIF. Carry on.
Google SUX

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:22 am

Doing This by Luke Combs is really good.
I have all types on my Spotify separated into different libraries.. alternative, rock, etc.. Country is one of them, however I listen to it the least as I am more of an alternative guy.
I do not have Eric Church on Spotify....not that I have an opinion one way or the other...I just have not listened to him as I do not listen to country channel on SiriusXM very often. More fans of country music would have to chime in.
I posted about the Luke Combs interview as he is an App guy and I did not know anything about him. It is a good interview regardless of whet people think about Rogan. I listened to it because Combs posted about it on social media...I went for interviewee..all I knew is that Rogan does very long interviews with his guests....and the Combs interview is long and they come across as having a conversation and Combs as a regular guy.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:14 am

There will be a lot of Church critics because of his ties the UNC. And that’s fair. But if you just let the music stand by itself he is an awesome songwriter and performer. His music crosses boundaries and while it is mostly country it really doesn’t fit completely in any category. In concert he always covers rock songs and his studio albums include songs that fuse country, rock, Motown and the blues. If you think you wouldn’t like his music because you don’t listen to country you’re missing out. I like Combs too and I’m not a huge country fan. I am moving more and more in that direction.
Last edited by Mjohn1988 on Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:59 pm

Country music is not really my thing. That said, I have listened to both Eric Church and Luke Combs and I have some songs by both. Both have done songs I like. Church has a little more Rock influence it seems. I think Combs is a little more consistent in his style. The nod for me goes to Luke...maybe it's influenced by the personality issues. He just seems to be a great guy. I've seen interviews with him and I think he would be a great guy to hang out with. I'm not an Eric Church hater, by the way. I think it sucks that he supports UNC but I appreciate the money he gives to App and at the end of the day, he has the right to pull for anyone he wants, even if it's a terrible choice.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:44 pm

FWIW, I'm not looking to be a connoisseur of their music. I just want to see what the fascination is with their music aside from the pride with them being two of our own. I already have too much music that I like already. The only real country music I prefer is the older crossover and the really older pure country music like Hank Williams,Sr and much more recent such as Alan Jackson. . In addition, Tom T Hall whom I was fortunate to meet and talk to for almost an hour back in 1989. Really down to earth country gentle man.
Google SUX

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:53 am

Johnny Cash -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:47 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:53 am
Johnny Cash -
Indeed and Chris Christopherson. They collaborated. Plus Chris was a Rhodes Scholar.
Google SUX

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:45 am

Here is another take on music, at least for me. There have been songs I hear and immediately like it. I have also heard songs that didn't catch my ear immediately and then upon hearing it a few more times I really liked it. So for me, sometimes I need to get a few test runs before I pass final judgement. Just me and maybe not everybody. Also as has been said above, both these guys don't fit into a specific mold with all their songs. They cross genres or mix in multiple sounds across their portfolios, therefore you may like some songs and hate others. Any how can someone else tell you why you should like an artist. It is what works for you.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:17 pm

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:16 pm

I don't much care for his or what's his name's genre of music, but I care for the way he is down to earth and loves kids. From now on, I'm a fan. No questions asked. End of discussion.
Google SUX

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:32 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:59 pm
Country music is not really my thing. That said, I have listened to both Eric Church and Luke Combs and I have some songs by both. Both have done songs I like. Church has a little more Rock influence it seems. I think Combs is a little more consistent in his style. The nod for me goes to Luke...maybe it's influenced by the personality issues. He just seems to be a great guy. I've seen interviews with him and I think he would be a great guy to hang out with. I'm not an Eric Church hater, by the way. I think it sucks that he supports UNC but I appreciate the money he gives to App and at the end of the day, he has the right to pull for anyone he wants, even if it's a terrible choice.
I graduated from App and love Carolina. My favorite teams growing up. With that said, App was the best choice for me and it was a fantastic experience. Expect Eric grew up the same. Hating on him for being a Carolina fan is pretty weak.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:29 am

NewApp wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:47 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:53 am
Johnny Cash -
Indeed and Chris Christopherson. They collaborated. Plus Chris was a Rhodes Scholar.
I also like Wheelie Knelson and Weighlen Ginnings.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:07 am

Pikapp79 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:32 am
Yosef84 wrote:
I graduated from App and love Carolina. My favorite teams growing up. With that said, App was the best choice for me and it was a fantastic experience. Expect Eric grew up the same. Hating on him for being a Carolina fan is pretty weak.
This would have been a lot easier thing to “digest” before our move up. Once we became full-fledged FBS then, IMHO, the love of another competing FBS must end. Especially one that is in-state, battling often for the same recruits and dollars…and when the deck is stacked heavily in the favor of one. I’m not saying you shouldn’t pull for UNC in the National Championship game versus say, Kentucky…knock your socks off. But to put dollars behind it, when your alma mater has more pressing needs, that’s the line in the sand for me. I grew up loving UT but if it came to buying a UT Jersey or an App jersey…there is no thought there. UT was my childhood crush, App was my adult choice - my love. If it came to casually pulling for UT against UCLA in a bowl game, with a bit more of a rooting interest than normal, okay. I think the regional thing also plays a big part. I’ve always had an eye on Oregon. Liked visiting out there as a kid, still do. Love the campus, the colors, all the uniforms…”those” things. I pay attention to them and I admittedly have a few pieces of clothing that I bought at a discount, and not at the expense of money spent on the mountain. But they, for all real and practical purposes due to location and logistics, compete against App in no way for really anything. Not financially, not recruits, not status or standing. Now, if they were to join the ACC for some crazy reason and bring their presence more into our backyard or begin voting for moves that would in essence relegate our Mountaineers back to second-tier status…then I’d have to reevaluate my casual interest in the Ducks. So, that to say, obviously UNC would be a no go…and that’s with numerous family members having went there, friendship connections, etc. It’s not a blue thing either - same goes for State or Wake or Clemson or VT or GT. Just my two cents and it doesn’t mean anything in the grand scheme, just how I look at allegiance and loyalty and concern for all things Black & Gold.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:40 am

" I admittedly have a few pieces of clothing that I bought at a discount, and not at the expense of money spent on the mountain."
How can this be unless you have unlimited income...🤣🤣

Overall,. I disagree that one has to stop allegiances to a university they grew up being a fan due to the fact they attended App. St ...no matter what geographic location ....or even if in same conference. Do I hope they put App. St. first in their fan heart, you bet I do ..and I hope all their money goes to App. St. versus another school they are a fan. ...my only exception is Stink...if you were a fan of Stink growing up...you definitely had some mental instability in your youth🤣🤣🤣.
However, when not playing App. St, I will pull for the team I grew up as a fan.
People do what people want to do. Do what one wants to do. I do not give this much thought..
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:06 am

Pikapp79 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:32 am
Yosef84 wrote:
I could care less who he pulls for until I see him on their video board when they are playing us. That is when I decided I would not spit on him if he were on fire.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:11 am

People just naturally want something or someone to root for. If App had a respectable basketball program and made headlines every once in a while in the tourney, we would certainly have a bigger fanbase and convert some App Football/UNC basketball people to be fully App.

The bball program has certainly improved but it still just doesn't have consistent following with students and casual alumni because historically it has been below average. We need excitement, development and SUSTAINED competition for championships to draw in the fans. Entertainment plays a big role into this imo and that is why I am personally not a fan of Kerns at this juncture (but that is a topic for another day).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”