Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2023 Baseball Mega Thread

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:15 am

Go Apps! Beat Marshall.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:06 am

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha.....App. St. Sweeps!!
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:15 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:02 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:25 pm
If an artificial mound was the issue opposing teams would have equal (if not more) issues pitching from it because they’re far less familiar with pitching from it than we are.
True. I’m not saying it doesn’t equally affect both teams, but I’m saying it may hurt us in recruiting. I know if I was being recruited as a pitcher and had a scholarship offer to two relatively equal teams, I’d choose the one with the dirt mound to better prepare me for pitching at the next level. As far as I know, there aren’t any turf mounds in the majors or minors. There are a few turf fields but they all have dirt mounds.
If I were a pitcher I would also take into consideration the weather
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:23 am

Just think what a giant bubble dome on top of that mountain would look like.

You could see it from outer space!!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:31 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:29 am
APPdiesel wrote:
If an artificial mound was the issue opposing teams would have equal (if not more) issues pitching from it because they’re far less familiar with pitching from it than we are.
App has only had 4 games at home. Most games have been away so far. Obviously there are several debatable reason why things are going awry and most are out of our control. Like I said it was just an observation on my part. Love the banter though.

3 games (maybe) this weekend. All on a dirt mound :D

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
See here's the difference...so many people on this board argue that the factors "out of our control" are insurmountable. I patently disagree with that.

Weather is out of our control, yet programs like Western Carolina and ETSU have had elite mid-major programs in the last decade. Both play in nearly identical weather conditions but find ways to be great...and we have demonstrated the option to move games to Hickory if need be.
Altitude? C'mon. Boone is 3,300 feet. We aren't in the rockies. Besides, studies have proven that altitude doesn't affect physical output until much higher elevations.
Artificial mound? Dig it up and replace it with dirt. That kind of grounds keeping can be done in a week.

10 of the top 25 teams in the country are in North Carolina or contiguous states. 2 are mid-majors.

Pollard won at App. The last two coaches haven't. We stink because 1) the University hasn't made baseball a priority and 2) we have the wrong coach who hasn't succeeded at building the right staff or recruiting the right players. He's a nice guy, graduates his players, and keeps them out of trouble...great...but he's a .300 coach at App State. 1 out of 3 and no police reports will get you a cup of coffee at Espresso News.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:36 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:31 am
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
App has only had 4 games at home. Most games have been away so far. Obviously there are several debatable reason why things are going awry and most are out of our control. Like I said it was just an observation on my part. Love the banter though.

See here's the difference...so many people on this board argue that the factors "out of our control" are insurmountable. I patently disagree with that.

Weather is out of our control, yet programs like Western Carolina and ETSU have had elite mid-major programs in the last decade. Both play in nearly identical weather conditions but find ways to be great...and we have demonstrated the option to move games to Hickory if need be.
Altitude? C'mon. Boone is 3,300 feet. We aren't in the rockies. Besides, studies have proven that altitude doesn't affect physical output until much higher elevations.
Artificial mound? Dig it up and replace it with dirt. That kind of grounds keeping can be done in a week.

10 of the top 25 teams in the country are in North Carolina or contiguous states. 2 are mid-majors.

Pollard won at App. The last two coaches haven't. We stink because 1) the University hasn't made baseball a priority and 2) we have the wrong coach who hasn't succeeded at building the right staff or recruiting the right players. He's a nice guy, graduates his players, and keeps them out of trouble...great...but he's a .300 coach at App State. 1 out of 3 and no police reports will get you a cup of coffee at Espresso News.
I should have clarified - Out of are control as fans (we can just debate them)

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:42 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:31 am
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

Until 1) changes, does changing 2) make a difference?
Last edited by AppSt94 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:51 am

I did say that taking the weather into consideration would be done if I were a pitcher - I didn't say it was insurmountable - however I am 100% sure it does App nothing to help in the recruiting of mid to top line pitchers
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:02 am

I'm sure that some stat geek here could find or compile this information- over the past, say 10 years how many mid level teams whose school is located in a similar location as App have had what is considered a good record or results? Western Carolina and ETSU were used as similar examples. Over that time period how have they fared? I would say if either won the SOCON and got a post season bid that would mean success. Is a .500 overall record success? I'm just not sure what the measuring stick is for most college baseball teams. Obviously Coastal was king that one year and has maintained a solid program but their geography is a huge selling point.

If I understand how baseball scholarships work we are really equal with everyone else. If virtually none of the App players receive NIL and players at NC State or ECU are that's a huge disadvantage for in state recruiting. There simply isn't enough quality players and more specifically pitching to go around.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:19 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:02 am
I'm sure that some stat geek here could find or compile this information- over the past, say 10 years how many mid level teams whose school is located in a similar location as App have had what is considered a good record or results? Western Carolina and ETSU were used as similar examples. Over that time period how have they fared? I would say if either won the SOCON and got a post season bid that would mean success. Is a .500 overall record success? I'm just not sure what the measuring stick is for most college baseball teams. Obviously Coastal was king that one year and has maintained a solid program but their geography is a huge selling point.

If I understand how baseball scholarships work we are really equal with everyone else. If virtually none of the App players receive NIL and players at NC State or ECU are that's a huge disadvantage for in state recruiting. There simply isn't enough quality players and more specifically pitching to go around.
Stats would also need to consider relative in conference competition...if all teams in NE where it is cold.... someone has to rise to top to win but may not be any good. Be interesting to see who has been good in conference where you have a disperse competition that includes cold weather teams and warm weather teams. That may be a little more challenging to analyze.
Last edited by BambooRdApp on Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:23 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:19 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:02 am

Stars would also need to consider relative in conference competition...if all teams in NE where it is cold.... someone has to rise to top to win but may not be any good. Be interesting to see who has been good in conference where you have a disperse competition that includes cold weather teams and warm weather teams. That may be a little more challenging to analyze.
I was thinking the same thing. As of the beginning of the week the SBC was ranked 5th best

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:25 am

Boone 3333
Johnson City 2116
Cullowee 1634

Altitude is negligible
Bring Your A Game!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:34 am

If we had a great disparity in home versus away pitching stats (like the Rockies at Coors) then altitude could be an issue. It's March 17 and it's still cold as crap in Boone and we just had more snow. We have played close to a third of the season. Given the choice to play (and pay my way) to school even a good D2 in a nice climate might be a choice to consider. I'm not saying I'd do that but there are a whole bunch of lower level programs who are generally pretty good. Baseball seems to be a different animal compared to football and basketball.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:42 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:34 am
If we had a great disparity in home versus away pitching stats (like the Rockies at Coors) then altitude could be an issue. It's March 17 and it's still cold as crap in Boone and we just had more snow. We have played close to a third of the season. Given the choice to play (and pay my way) to school even a good D2 in a nice climate might be a choice to consider. I'm not saying I'd do that but there are a whole bunch of lower level programs who are generally pretty good. Baseball seems to be a different animal compared to football and basketball.
D2 baseball in a lot cases are just as good especially in the south/west. The SSC in Florida is no joke

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:56 am

I don’t know for sure, but I think the baseball field is close to 4000 feet.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:02 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:51 am
I did say that taking the weather into consideration would be done if I were a pitcher - I didn't say it was insurmountable - however I am 100% sure it does App nothing to help in the recruiting of mid to top line pitchers
Yeah man I got you. I was sort of aggregating all the concerns voiced here on YC over the past 2 seasons.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:43 am

Winning baseball has been historically difficult at App. Whether you want to call it an excuse, or lack of coaching, talent or priorities, it is what it is. Pollard was lightening in a bottle and we see what he was able to parlay that success into. We are going to continue to lose good coaches through either their success through over achieving or their frustration with the lack of support.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:37 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:56 am
3485 ft according to the GPS coordinates at 36.211492, -81.693169

I had to :lol:

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:27 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:37 pm
Oldlknapp wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:56 am
3485 ft according to the GPS coordinates at 36.211492, -81.693169

I had to :lol:
Yup, I got 3500’ at home plate off Watauga County GIS elevation maps.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:08 pm

1-0 Apps. Bottom 3

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”