Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

GAME THREAD - MBB vs James Madison, Sat 2/4 4pm

AppFan11
School: Appalachian State

Re: GAME THREAD - MBB vs James Madison, Sat 2/4 4pm

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:06 pm

Again, lose a winnable game. Free throw percentage is terrible. And tonight, that's on Brown but at least he made significant other contributions. Also, how can you play for 30 minutes like CJ Huntley and be a freakin ghost out there..... your team needs you to step up. The same goes for Mantis at 15 minutes and Walker.... you guys have to contribute more... just average production from a couple of them and we win. We need to take more shots as a team... whether those are 3's or two's..JMU shot 7 more times than we did.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:36 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:06 pm
Again, lose a winnable game. Free throw percentage is terrible. And tonight, that's on Brown but at least he made significant other contributions. Also, how can you play for 30 minutes like CJ Huntley and be a freakin ghost out there..... your team needs you to step up. The same goes for Mantis at 15 minutes and Walker.... you guys have to contribute more... just average production from a couple of them and we win. We need to take more shots as a team... whether those are 3's or two's..JMU shot 7 more times than we did.
One reason we take fewer shots is that we seem to always take up the full shot clock damn near every possession. Is there a stat on how many shot clock violations we get every game? And that doesn’t include how many crap shots we’re forced to take because the shot clock is about to run out on us.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:48 pm

We need to all burn our white t-shirts in a sacrificial ceremony and pray to our deity/deities of choice that our offerings will improve Xavion's free throw shooting.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:30 am

Apparently, as has been the case every Kerns year, we are a .500 team. There are conference teams that are surging and there are teams that are fading. We are faders. As in past years, terrible few throw shooting team. Fairly good defense keeps us close in games but what ever type of offense we’re running is unwatchable. The saddest part of all this, is that next year is sizing up to be more of the same.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:44 am

Was at the game yesterday, while we had fun, it’s quite alarming to see the difference in the flow of our offense vs JMU’s offense. I’ve noticed it on TV, but it is impossible not to notice in person. Our offense consists of 3 or 4 guys basically standing around while 1 maybe 2 guys are moving. JMU’s offense was constantly moving. I will commend our defense, it is good, minus a couple slip ups. Mainly giving up that wide open 3 at the end. JMU’s constant movement and motion is what created that defensive lapse.

Our bland offense needs Mantis to hit shots. Dude is struggling mightily right now. I said multiple times he needs to see some shots fall cause his confidence is seriously lacking right now. CJ has been nonexistent the past few games as well. Donovan and Harcum are our only offense right now.
Xavion is an incredible defender, and his athleticism and ability to drive to basket is top notch. His free throw shooting is abysmal, which is terrible when his game is all about driving to the basket. I do believe it’s in his head at this point, none of the shots are even close. Something has to change.
Abson is a monster down low on both ends. Very excited about him.

We needed these last two, or at least a split. Time to rally.

GO APPS!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:53 am

Did we not start off the season hitting free throws or was that just a fever dream I had and imagined it all?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:07 am

What was the attendance?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:16 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:53 am
Did we not start off the season hitting free throws or was that just a fever dream I had and imagined it all?
Our best ft shooter is out and all of his 35
minutes per game are going to our worst ft shooter. That’s pretty much the difference. We’re an easy team to defend, opposing teams don’t have to chase X or abson outside of 5’. no one worries about mantis inside the arc. no one chases gregory outside of 15’. really boykin and sometimes harcum are the only true scoring threats at all levels. Teams can just pack the defense in on us and force us to take outside shots or just hack our 2 bad FT shooters and steal 4-5 possessions.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:31 am

311neers wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:16 am
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:53 am
Our best ft shooter is out and all of his 35
minutes per game are going to our worst ft shooter. That’s pretty much the difference. We’re an easy team to defend, opposing teams don’t have to chase X or abson outside of 5’. no one worries about mantis inside the arc. no one chases gregory outside of 15’. really boykin and sometimes harcum are the only true scoring threats at all levels. Teams can just pack the defense in on us and force us to take outside shots or just hack our 2 bad FT shooters and steal 4-5 possessions.
Pretty much says it all.

Obviously we (or most any team) would want balanced scoring and an all around solid team with good bench depth but the injuries and defections have put a hurt on us. What I see as baffling is when a guy lights it up one game, looks incredible and then the next game is almost nonexistent.
I also checked and we rank 280th in FT shooting. We most certainly have to be highly ranked in terms of shot clock violations.

ncman071

Unread post by ncman071 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:21 pm

looking ahead at next week...even though ulm and s alabama are road games...those are definitly winnable. it will be tough...but we can get it done...i sure hope so anyway...would get us to 15 -12...which really would be .500 against D1 programs....at this point a winning record in conference and winning record against d1 programs would be great for a team with so much inconsistency...never know what could happen in sunbelt tourny as well

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:22 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:07 am
What was the attendance?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:25 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:22 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:07 am
What was the attendance?
Have we ever won a game in Holmes when attendance was over 45% capacity? This was 46.5% capacity.

Bring a decent crowd and lay an egg. Rinse and repeat.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:43 pm

Feb. 2007, 5,000 people vs UNCG was the biggest home crowd that saw an App win IIRC. That was a Thursday too.

That was the game a group of students (myself included) dorm stormed before the game and put fliers under most dorm room doors. This was after a season of mostly 2k crowds.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /270532026

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:18 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:43 pm
Feb. 2007, 5,000 people vs UNCG was the biggest home crowd that saw an App win IIRC. That was a Thursday too.

That was the game a group of students (myself included) dorm stormed before the game and put fliers under most dorm room doors. This was after a season of mostly 2k crowds.

Was DJ Thompson’s senior night I believe. Soundly beat a good UNCG team with Kyle Hines.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:26 pm

2007 the year of "the Great North Charleston Choke Job"

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:07 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:26 pm
2007 the year of "the Great North Charleston Choke Job"
Annnnnnnddd end on a bad memory with App State basketball. Per usual.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:23 pm

T-Dog wrote:

Speaking of UNCG; they are having a good season. To get a big crowd at home vs ETSU on Tuesday they are offering discounted tickets to faculty and staff. Not a bad promo. Does App ever do anything like this?

After the loss after the free admission game after the football game I made a comment on this very board that I felt the ticket price did not match the game day experience in my view. I hate to say that but I hold true to that feeling still. I do think doing something to bring in locals would be a good marketing program. Offer cheap tickets to faculty, staff and locals. Couple it with a donation to a food bank to make it look like the ticket price is not as low as it is but the attendance speaks for itself. I would rather have a larger crowd at $5 than the smaller crowds at $15.

And stop laying eggs when a crowd is there.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:58 pm

Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:23 pm
T-Dog wrote:

Speaking of UNCG; they are having a good season. To get a big crowd at home vs ETSU on Tuesday they are offering discounted tickets to faculty and staff. Not a bad promo. Does App ever do anything like this?

After the loss after the free admission game after the football game I made a comment on this very board that I felt the ticket price did not match the game day experience in my view. I hate to say that but I hold true to that feeling still. I do think doing something to bring in locals would be a good marketing program. Offer cheap tickets to faculty, staff and locals. Couple it with a donation to a food bank to make it look like the ticket price is not as low as it is but the attendance speaks for itself. I would rather have a larger crowd at $5 than the smaller crowds at $15.

Not to mention them bumping up the price to $20 yesterday.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:46 pm

T-Dog wrote:

I was there as well. That was a heck of a team. Pretty sure we were on ESPN Bracket busters that season and lost by a point but I can’t remember who we played.
YNWA

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:59 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:58 pm
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:23 pm
T-Dog wrote:

Not to mention them bumping up the price to $20 yesterday.
I know they have bills to pay but this is NOT a good look in my view. If it was a sellout, then sure, take advantage of the fan base, but less than 1/2 capacity then it should be a case of lowering prices to get more fans in.

I hate to say this I can drop $15 for a ticket to Carolina Thunderbirds, see a winner more often than not AND see at least one fight and likely a bench clearing brawl in the 3rd period. :-) (I am only half joking, but with so many alums living two hour away the cost for so many of us is not just ticket cost (over-priced or not) but travel and the need for at least one meal and likely two. It adds up and there are some costs out of the control of App State but they can control some of it with a better deal on the ticket and a better experience in Holmes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”