Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Renewing Season Football Tickets

appstate5
School: Appalachian State

Re: Renewing Season Football Tickets

Unread post by appstate5 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:38 pm

Group of 8 to 10 behind me have had season tix for 30+ years but I think they only have 1 yosef club member. They get their own parking. How many new yosef club memberships will they need to continue in those seats?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:42 pm

appstate5 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:38 pm
Group of 8 to 10 behind me have had season tix for 30+ years but I think they only have 1 yosef club member. They get their own parking. How many new yosef club memberships will they need to continue in those seats?
What section? A $100 section would require a donation of $800 to $1000. Seats in the $400 section will require a donation of $3200 to $4000.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:47 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:52 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:39 am
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:24 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:24 am
So you can join the Rams Club at the lowest level, $100 and get 3 tickets in the end of the wings for $290 per for a total of $970. You can join Yosef Club for $300 and get three seats on the ends for $250 per for a total of $1050. If $80 is a deal breaker then maybe season tickets aren’t something that needs to be prioritized.
You have to consider this also. They have MUCH more TV money. I am VERY sure they are also the recipient of MUCH more giving. They have a larger stadium also. Here is the plain and simple fact. We wanted to play at this level so we have to pay for it. I agree it sucks that some who have been loyal for a long time may lose their seats but it also should not be a surprise. This is a very expensive undertaking and all the "Hundreds of millions" that football supposedly brings in just does not apply to G5.
100% agree and I said as much earlier in the thread. Comparison between App and a P5 just isn’t fair for the points stated. The chosen pricing model by the administration is the one that they feel is the one in the best interest of the needs of the program. Does it rub some people the wrong way? Sure. Is it fair and equitable to everyone? Not even close. But at the end of the day, they have expenses “X” and they need to do what they have too in order to cover them.
You guys are spot on.FBS is expensive and getting only moreso.There is another option -drop back down to FCS.I don't see an appetite for that on here ,I could be wrong.When we made the move up I doubled my annual giving as I told them I would , and have more than doubled that amount again including an increase this year . There are things I no longer spend money on to offset the difference.Everyone is free to choose but if we want to compete , we have to invest.
It's like the brouhaha over parking last year. We all want Yosef to raise more money, and many of us want them to find new sources of revenue rather than constantly coming back to the same rank-and-file members for more and more. Well, this is what that looks like. When you attract new season ticket buyers and new donors, you have to give them something. That might mean a longtime member gets squeezed out of their old seats or parking spot because a newer member can afford to give more. It's unfortunate, but that's the tradeoff.

So far it does seem like App is doing what they can to at least create options for everyone. When some folks were left without parking last year, they opened up new campus lots for gameday parking (even though it was never guaranteed with YC membership).

Now with the new minimums, you can be eligible to buy four season tickets with as low as a $400 donation. The lowest donation to be eligible for parking (other than the HHS shuttle lot) is $350, so won't most season ticket holders already be giving that much?

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:55 pm

We have to give the decision makers some time to identify issues and react. This is the first year and I appreciate them giving us a year of advanced notice. It does suck that people may have to move or priced out all together but with ranges from $100 - $400 per seat, there are a lot of options financially. Not to mention, just buying multiple single game tickets. We have to find ways to grow our football budget so we can continue to invest and grow our program. Right now, our leaders believe this is one way to do that. I identified last spring that it would be tough financially so I moved to a "lesser" section and this year reduced from 4 to 2 tickets. I pay more in donations but less in ticket cost. I don't mean to sound rude or privileged, but some sacrifices will have to be made within reason (not Christmas or food) for most of us to continue being season ticket holders and I am okay with that if it helps in recruiting and retaining coaches.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:55 pm

I am definitely sympathetic for how this affects families, especially larger ones. That being said, season tickets themselves are $250 each. So a family of four is $1,000 for the tickets alone; a family of six is $1,500. If you've determined you can afford to pay that much, is the extra money to YC (maybe a couple hundred bucks or so, depending on your previous giving level) really going to be the deal breaker?

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:21 pm

I just think it would be interesting to see the numbers. If someone is going to less expensive seats and moving from 4 to 2 seats as stated above....did the revenue increase. On the other hand the group of 10 splitting one YC membership is ridiculous as well. I have said it ad nauseum but the answer is a family section where immediate families have one YC membership and then can buy tickets for their immediate family. Husband/Wife and four children should not have to buy 6 YC memberships they are already buying 6 tickets. Also their should be a recent alumni section near the student section. 25 year old singles don't want to sit with my OLD SELF. And families with young children don't want to sit with 25 year old wild things.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:49 pm

Hypothetical for a family of 4 wanting to sit on west side.

YC donation $1600 + (4 x $250) = $2600 get 4 season tickets in section 204 & parking
YC donation $1000 + (4 x $250) = $2000 get 4 season tickets in section 203 & parking
YC donation $700 + (4 x $250) = $1700 get 4 season tickets in section 202 & parking
YC donation $400 + (4 x $250) = $1400 get 4 season tickets in section 201 & parking

Seems pretty accommodating to me. There’s certainly options for a family of 4. Besides no matter where you sit there really are no bad seats in KBS.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

IM4ASU

Unread post by IM4ASU » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:53 pm

There will be 6 season tickets available in section 203, row QQ and RR as everyone in our party has reached the ripe old age of 70. We are living on a fixed income and what little disposable income we have left will have to be spent wisely. We still plan on supporting App but not at the same level we have in the past. Several other season ticket holders in my age group have expressed the same.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:17 pm

Same subject , different angle , did my weekly grocery store run today. People are making tough choices .I see it everywhere. So add to the above the cost of getting to Boone , feeding the crew before, after or both.I hate to lose people but I understand where you are coming from.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:18 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:28 pm
Here’s the thing. It’s easy to sit here and say that raising ticket prices and donations per seat will alienate parts of the fanbase and will prevent us from growing. My counterpoint is that nothing that we have tried over the last 15 years has appreciably grown the donor base.

We really like to show off our student section at home football games. Statistically speaking, it isn’t difficult to expect that the “active” donor base should have grown by 160-200 donors per year over the last 10 years. But it hasn’t. So how do we create demand to get people to donate?
By creating Young Alumni and Family programs that are attractive to the this demographic without requiring a commitment of a full season in every instance.
By having sign-up programs and prominent signage in stadium on game days.
By creating football/basketball combo packages to get families up the mountain a few times a year.
By making the Student Yosef Club a bigger deal (more freebies/more fun) and having an active recruitment program to convert a % of those immediately into Young Alumni Yosef Club Members (maybe create a Young Alumni Beer Garden in Football and Basketball Games that requires membership of all attendees, but it can be purchased on the spot like Top Golf/Andretti Karting and other Entertainment Options are already doing.
Yosef Club exclusive gear
Put together a once a year, exciting Young Alumni Road Game like the Panthers Fan Club, The Roaring Riot does every year.

Be Intentional, Make it Easy, Make it Affordable, and Make it Fun........then, focus on retention.

BurkeGrad

Unread post by BurkeGrad » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:45 am

CoachRob wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:34 pm
No, I get it, it's just frustrating. Wish I was rich. My own fault as I decided(called) to go into education.

I love App, but family comes 1st. I can make it work now, but at the end of the day if it comes down to a decision in the future, family wins as App tickets are a luxury.
I am a retired educator and this change is disturbing. I realize to compete on the field isn’t cheap but does App need to price out some longtime Yosef donors and season ticket holders. Maybe the athletic administration is courting alums and others that earn six figures annually; however, those aren’t the fans that have been filling the stadium in the last 15 years.
If making a Y.C. donation and therefore qualifying for 8 season tickets was an issue why couldn’t they cap the number of tickets per giving level? What am I missing here?

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:28 am

Does anyone know what the median Yosef Club donation is now?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:21 am

BurkeGrad wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:45 am
CoachRob wrote:
No, I get it, it's just frustrating. Wish I was rich. My own fault as I decided(called) to go into education.

I love App, but family comes 1st. I can make it work now, but at the end of the day if it comes down to a decision in the future, family wins as App tickets are a luxury.
I am a retired educator and this change is disturbing. I realize to compete on the field isn’t cheap but does App need to price out some longtime Yosef donors and season ticket holders. Maybe the athletic administration is courting alums and others that earn six figures annually; however, those aren’t the fans that have been filling the stadium in the last 15 years.
If making a Y.C. donation and therefore qualifying for 8 season tickets was an issue why couldn’t they cap the number of tickets per giving level? What am I missing here?
Aren’t they essentially putting caps on tickets with this model? If they said that giving $500 allows you to buy 4 tickets in these sections, would that not be the same thing?
Last edited by AppSt94 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:30 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:18 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Here’s the thing. It’s easy to sit here and say that raising ticket prices and donations per seat will alienate parts of the fanbase and will prevent us from growing. My counterpoint is that nothing that we have tried over the last 15 years has appreciably grown the donor base.

We really like to show off our student section at home football games. Statistically speaking, it isn’t difficult to expect that the “active” donor base should have grown by 160-200 donors per year over the last 10 years. But it hasn’t. So how do we create demand to get people to donate?
By creating Young Alumni and Family programs that are attractive to the this demographic without requiring a commitment of a full season in every instance.
By creating football/basketball combo packages to get families up the mountain a few times a year.
By making the Student Yosef Club a bigger deal (more freebies/more fun) and having an active recruitment program to convert a % of those immediately into Young Alumni Yosef Club Members (maybe create a Young Alumni Beer Garden in Football and Basketball Games that requires membership of all attendees, but it can be purchased on the spot like Top Golf/Andretti Karting and other Entertainment Options are already doing.
Put together a once a year, exciting Young Alumni Road Game like the Panthers Fan Club, The Roaring Riot does every year.

Be Intentional, Make it Easy, Make it Affordable, and Make it Fun........then, focus on retention.
All great ideas. You had me up until the end when you said, “make it affordable.” Incentives and “free” gifts are great but the cost of free cuts into the bottom line.

They tried the Yosef Club exclusive apparel last year and it didn’t take off. They grew the SYC exponentially this year with UNC in town. Let’s see how renewals work out this year. The YC Hospitality room went away because it was under utilized and now that it’s gone, people want to complain about its absence. It’s just hard to satisfy the masses.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:03 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:30 am
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

All great ideas. You had me up until the end when you said, “make it affordable.” Incentives and “free” gifts are great but the cost of free cuts into the bottom line.

They tried the Yosef Club exclusive apparel last year and it didn’t take off. They grew the SYC exponentially this year with UNC in town. Let’s see how renewals work out this year. The YC Hospitality room went away because it was under utilized and now that it’s gone, people want to complain about its absence. It’s just hard to satisfy the masses.
You asked how we grow the donor base. My answer was to make an intentional investment in the future.
These ides are about changing the giving culture and building the base for the future. (Keep in mind that not everyone will donate at the minimum)
Also, new ideas fail backside they need longer than a year to take root. I personally don’t remember seeing any Yosef Club soecifc gear. (In my business, we plan for an 18 month period for any new product to take hold and begin making an impact).

Student Yosef grew because it was required to ensure a ticket for Carolina. Hopefully we have a plan to retain those members, convert graduating members to Young Alumni and recruit the next crop of Frashmen and Transfers.

If you convert 100 Student Yosef to Young Alumni per year……..

AppSt91

Unread post by AppSt91 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:01 am

Where was the Yosef Club apparel? Never saw that.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:04 am

AppSt91 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:01 am
Where was the Yosef Club apparel? Never saw that.
I’ll ask what happened to the project on Saturday at the basketball game. I was sent the link to the items last year. Haven’t heard much about it since.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:12 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:03 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:30 am
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

You asked how we grow the donor base. My answer was to make an intentional investment in the future.
These ides are about changing the giving culture and building the base for the future. (Keep in mind that not everyone will donate at the minimum)
Also, new ideas fail backside they need longer than a year to take root. I personally don’t remember seeing any Yosef Club soecifc gear. (In my business, we plan for an 18 month period for any new product to take hold and begin making an impact).

Student Yosef grew because it was required to ensure a ticket for Carolina. Hopefully we have a plan to retain those members, convert graduating members to Young Alumni and recruit the next crop of Frashmen and Transfers.

If you convert 100 Student Yosef to Young Alumni per year……..
To be completely honest, I can’t say that anything that you suggest isn’t being done in some manner. I agree with you that ideas take time to grow into fruition and we are in the infancy for some of those now. I still challenge the position that it isn’t affordable. We have increased attendance over the past two years when many programs are experiencing a decline. The demand for after market tickets is there. I haven’t had an issue selling my extra tickets from last year. I will continue to question the affordability piece. Why sell a product for $100 when you can get $250 for it doesn’t sound like good business.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:58 am

IM4ASU wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:53 pm
There will be 6 season tickets available in section 203, row QQ and RR as everyone in our party has reached the ripe old age of 70. We are living on a fixed income and what little disposable income we have left will have to be spent wisely. We still plan on supporting App but not at the same level we have in the past. Several other season ticket holders in my age group have expressed the same.
Yes it was a sad day when we came to the conclusion we couldn't keep doing this - it happened several years ago for us - we had 6 season tickets, - 1st row, Section 216 - great seats, we had the entire row (had season tickets before the deck was built) - we got old and on limited income, our daughter and son-in-law had a baby as did their friends who had the other 2 seats --- miss the good old days at KBS
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:20 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:21 am
BurkeGrad wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:45 am
CoachRob wrote:

Aren’t they essentially putting caps on tickets with this model? If they said that giving $500 allows you to buy 4 tickets in these sections, would that not be the same thing?
This is way more expensive than a cap.

So my section last year was at the $250 lvl (sec 113) . Let's say they cap that section at 4 tickets. That would be at most $1250 total with tickets still at $250 a seat.
However, donation per ticket would mean now to keep those same 4 tickets the total cost would be $2000. (Assuming the minimum is still $250, but I'm not sure anymore). That's a $750 dollar difference between the two scenarios.

Let's say I want to purchase 8. Cap of 4 requires 2 donations. That equals $2500. vs per donation which would equal $4000 total. A $1500 difference.

I know $750 difference doesn't seem like much to several, but for some of us, it the difference in staying with 4 tickets and reducing to 2. Not to mention the inflation isn't making things better either.

Are there enough people waiting for season tickets that will take up all the lost season tickets from those like me who are reducing the total number of tickets??? I hope so from a revenue standpoint.
Worst case scenario though is that there isn't more demand than there is supply, bringing a reduction in season tickets sold. Not only are you hurting several season ticket holders but also losing revenue for the program, which is a double wham.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”