Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Renewing Season Football Tickets

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Renewing Season Football Tickets

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:05 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:45 am
Is the seat that you get at UNC-CH for $970 comparable to our seats for $1000.. Prior to NEZ, I did not have season tickets. As such, I have sat all over the stadium...but primarily home side. I have never really had a bad seat at App. I do wonder, given larger stadium at CH, that you could have a bad seat from a viewing perspective. I have sat low rows near field at CH and sight lines are not good. Maybe all those go to single game tickets sales...and all CH season ticket holders have good seats. I have no clue.

I completely understand the increase in cost is a significant factor for many people. It is a personal decision that everyone has to make for themselves and their family.
To be clear, $970 is for three seats minus the $100 donation to the Rams Club. The seats are in the wings along the sideline the farthest away from the 50.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:29 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:52 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:39 am
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:24 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:24 am
So you can join the Rams Club at the lowest level, $100 and get 3 tickets in the end of the wings for $290 per for a total of $970. You can join Yosef Club for $300 and get three seats on the ends for $250 per for a total of $1050. If $80 is a deal breaker then maybe season tickets aren’t something that needs to be prioritized.
You have to consider this also. They have MUCH more TV money. I am VERY sure they are also the recipient of MUCH more giving. They have a larger stadium also. Here is the plain and simple fact. We wanted to play at this level so we have to pay for it. I agree it sucks that some who have been loyal for a long time may lose their seats but it also should not be a surprise. This is a very expensive undertaking and all the "Hundreds of millions" that football supposedly brings in just does not apply to G5.
100% agree and I said as much earlier in the thread. Comparison between App and a P5 just isn’t fair for the points stated. The chosen pricing model by the administration is the one that they feel is the one in the best interest of the needs of the program. Does it rub some people the wrong way? Sure. Is it fair and equitable to everyone? Not even close. But at the end of the day, they have expenses “X” and they need to do what they have too in order to cover them.
You guys are spot on.FBS is expensive and getting only moreso.There is another option -drop back down to FCS.I don't see an appetite for that on here ,I could be wrong.When we made the move up I doubled my annual giving as I told them I would , and have more than doubled that amount again including an increase this year . There are things I no longer spend money on to offset the difference.Everyone is free to choose but if we want to compete , we have to invest.
Is investing a "only this way" kind of street??? And I ask that in thinking of outside the box to bring in revenue that doesn't count on the rich to give more money.
Selling more season tickets would bring in more revenue I assume, I feel this can be done by: a) promoting App State football to alumni & fans to buy season tickets. (Curious as to what % of Alumni purchase season tickets) & b) making tickets affordable for a larger # of fans to purchase. I'm not an economist here, but I feel there's a point where we're going to set a demand that's too high even for some of the most loyal.

PS: Since you mention cutting back, how do y'all explain to your wife that we aren't going out to eat this weekend, or let's not do Christmas presents, so we can save for App State football tickets? lol

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:48 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:29 pm
Stonewall wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
So you can join the Rams Club at the lowest level, $100 and get 3 tickets in the end of the wings for $290 per for a total of $970. You can join Yosef Club for $300 and get three seats on the ends for $250 per for a total of $1050. If $80 is a deal breaker then maybe season tickets aren’t something that needs to be prioritized.
You have to consider this also. They have MUCH more TV money. I am VERY sure they are also the recipient of MUCH more giving. They have a larger stadium also. Here is the plain and simple fact. We wanted to play at this level so we have to pay for it. I agree it sucks that some who have been loyal for a long time may lose their seats but it also should not be a surprise. This is a very expensive undertaking and all the "Hundreds of millions" that football supposedly brings in just does not apply to G5.
100% agree and I said as much earlier in the thread. Comparison between App and a P5 just isn’t fair for the points stated. The chosen pricing model by the administration is the one that they feel is the one in the best interest of the needs of the program. Does it rub some people the wrong way? Sure. Is it fair and equitable to everyone? Not even close. But at the end of the day, they have expenses “X” and they need to do what they have too in order to cover them.
You guys are spot on.FBS is expensive and getting only moreso.There is another option -drop back down to FCS.I don't see an appetite for that on here ,I could be wrong.When we made the move up I doubled my annual giving as I told them I would , and have more than doubled that amount again including an increase this year . There are things I no longer spend money on to offset the difference.Everyone is free to choose but if we want to compete , we have to invest.
Is investing a "only this way" kind of street??? And I ask that in thinking of outside the box to bring in revenue that doesn't count on the rich to give more money.
Selling more season tickets would bring in more revenue I assume, I feel this can be done by: a) promoting App State football to alumni & fans to buy season tickets. (Curious as to what % of Alumni purchase season tickets) & b) making tickets affordable for a larger # of fans to purchase. I'm not an economist here, but I feel there's a point where we're going to set a demand that's too high even for some of the most loyal.

PS: Since you mention cutting back, how do y'all explain to your wife that we aren't going out to eat this weekend, or let's not do Christmas presents, so we can save for App State football tickets? lol
Allow me to ask this question. What is so unreasonable about the current pricing model? It is one of the cheapest season ticket prices currently out there. Even with the $100 per seat donation, it is on par with ECU.

Given that we just had a record year in season ticket sales and we sold out 6 of 7 home games, and there is a waiting list (allegedly) for season tickets, I don’t see where we have reached past demand. Again, we understand your situation and there is empathy for you. But to say that we aren’t making it affordable for a larger # of fans is simply not true.

Again let me say that I understand your position and current circumstances. It really seems that your entire argument centers around your wants. If you can’t afford the price tag, that’s understandable and no one should fault you for putting family first. If you need tickets for a game, I’ve got a couple in 212 that I would be more than happy to sell you whenever you can go.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:02 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Is it fair and equitable to everyone? Not even close.
How is it not fair and equitable?

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:03 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:45 am
Is the seat that you get at UNC-CH for $970 comparable to our seats for $1000.. Prior to NEZ, I did not have season tickets. As such, I have sat all over the stadium...but primarily home side. I have never really had a bad seat at App. I do wonder, given larger stadium at CH, that you could have a bad seat from a viewing perspective. I have sat low rows near field at CH and sight lines are not good. Maybe all those go to single game tickets sales...and all CH season ticket holders have good seats. I have no clue.

I completely understand the increase in cost is a significant factor for many people. It is a personal decision that everyone has to make for themselves and their family.
In 2019, I purchased 4 season tickets to Chapel Hill (only for the App game and sold the rest), with no donation. They were 10 rows up, visitors side, stadium seats. $875.00 including fees.
The view was as good, if not better than our East Side (which I love my top row seats) and we had stadium seats instead of benches.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:12 pm

Here's a good article explaining why CFB is expensive. https://gamedayculture.com/football-tickets-expensive/

The average cost of tickets range from 20 - 400 dollars depending on the team. APP is probably around 50$ not including a YC donation that goes to the ENTIRE athletic department. One of the best bargains in CFB

BTW most schools that have tickets left over up price them anyway so you are paying a premium instead of a donation.
Last edited by Appmountaineers19 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:48 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Allow me to ask this question. What is so unreasonable about the current pricing model? It is one of the cheapest season ticket prices currently out there. Even with the $100 per seat donation, it is on par with ECU.

Given that we just had a record year in season ticket sales and we sold out 6 of 7 home games, and there is a waiting list (allegedly) for season tickets, I don’t see where we have reached past demand. Again, we understand your situation and there is empathy for you. But to say that we aren’t making it affordable for a larger # of fans is simply not true.

Again let me say that I understand your position and current circumstances. It really seems that your entire argument centers around your wants. If you can’t afford the price tag, that’s understandable and no one should fault you for putting family first. If you need tickets for a game, I’ve got a couple in 212 that I would be more than happy to sell you whenever you can go.
Coach Robb isn't the only "Coach Robb" in the world. Not to mention, I want Coach Robb in the stands with his young family now, because he's going to be the future.

Yes, we need to invest in our program. But, there's several ways to invest. For instance, prior to the per seat donation, some season ticket holders may have bought extras, so they could invite friends or family to sit with them at the game on a rotating basis (you only need 4, but you buy 6). Or maybe, a few fans bought tickets to the NEZ, but kept their original season tickets in case they didn't like sitting in the end zone and wanted to move back later.

Personally, I bought two extras a few years ago and gifted them to a friend. He and his wife attended all of the games, and assumed the two extras this past year (because he also wanted a parking spot, which he didn't get, but alas.....) and he's renewed next year.

Two Season Tickets became 4 and we added a Yosef Club member.
With the new model, these scenarios may not happen.

If the demand is truly there (with the price drop, is it there for standard seats?), and it continues, this is a good decision by the administration. But, college football attendance is shrinking. Will we have season ticket demand beyond the Carolina game year?

Should we split some season tickets and offer Coach Robb and others a half season package option (same number of tickets sold, more Yosef Club members)? Should we flip the paradigm and create tailgating spots that can be invested in, renewed and provide a necessary revenue stream?

As App 94 said, "you can't make everyone happy," Finding the right balance is the challenge of the decision makers.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:27 pm

So, our cheapest seats, including required minimum Yosef donation, are $58.34/seat (rounded up to the nearest penny). Requiring a minimum donation is simply another way to charge more for better seats. I have always thought there should be tiered pricing for seats. They are all good, but some are better. This is it. Some were going to pushed out either way.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:31 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:22 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Coach Robb isn't the only "Coach Robb" in the world. Not to mention, I want Coach Robb in the stands with his young family now, because he's going to be the future.

Yes, we need to invest in our program. But, there's several ways to invest. For instance, prior to the per seat donation, some season ticket holders may have bought extras, so they could invite friends or family to sit with them at the game on a rotating basis (you only need 4, but you buy 6). Or maybe, a few fans bought tickets to the NEZ, but kept their original season tickets in case they didn't like sitting in the end zone and wanted to move back later.

Personally, I bought two extras a few years ago and gifted them to a friend. He and his wife attended all of the games, and assumed the two extras this past year (because he also wanted a parking spot, which he didn't get, but alas.....) and he's renewed next year.

If the demand is truly there (with the price drop, is it there for standard seats?), and it continues, this is a good decision by the administration. But, college football attendance is shrinking. Will we have season ticket demand beyond the Carolina game year?

Should we split some season tickets and offer Coach Robb and others a half season package option (same number of tickets sold, more Yosef Club members)? Should we flip the paradigm and create tailgating spots that can be invested in, renewed and provide a necessary revenue stream?

As App 94 said, "you can't make everyone happy," Finding the right balance is the challenge of the decision makers.
Wins count for a lot. If last year was a hiccup and they get back to winning 9 to 10 games a year I feel the demand will be high. Maybe if the demand is not there could 3 games packages be viable? Parking will not be included just no feasible with the limited spots.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:33 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I'd say demand has certainly increased over the last few years and should remain high this season since ECU is coming to Boone, along with Coastal, Marshall, and Georgia Southern. Our home conference schedule should remain strong for many years and good draws are coming to Boone for OOC games. These are growing pains and it's good that we have them.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:33 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:27 pm
So, our cheapest seats, including required minimum Yosef donation, are $58.34/seat (rounded up to the nearest penny). Requiring a minimum donation is simply another way to charge more for better seats. I have always thought there should be tiered pricing for seats. They are all good, but some are better. This is it. Some were going to pushed out either way.
58.34 can't beat value. Can't give everything for almost free and continue to compete.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:39 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:31 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Wins count for a lot. If last year was a hiccup and they get back to winning 9 to 10 games a year I feel the demand will be high. Maybe if the demand is not there could 3 games packages be viable? Parking will not be included just no feasible with the limited spots.
Gillin is not a fan of the mini packages. Unless Ransdell et al can convince him to change his way of thinking, I don’t see us bringing those back.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:45 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:02 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Is it fair and equitable to everyone? Not even close.
How is it not fair and equitable?
Fair and equitable is a polite way of saying that it’s not going to be a situation that makes everyone happy and pushes long time donors to give more or get moved out. (See previous threads about parking) There are certainly many that used the system to their advantage and bought multiple seats with one donation. There are others that would by 10 seats for family that created a gathering experience that are getting forced to pay more or find new traditions.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:59 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:39 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

Gillin is not a fan of the mini packages. Unless Ransdell et al can convince him to change his way of thinking, I don’t see us bringing those back.
Mini packs are a logistical nightmare for the ticket office. If we weren’t selling out every seat for practically every game it might not be so bad.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:16 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:59 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Mini packs are a logistical nightmare for the ticket office. If we weren’t selling out every seat for practically every game it might not be so bad.
Agree. On the flip side, you could alleviate parking issues with making available to only full season ticket holders.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:20 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:16 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:59 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:

Agree. On the flip side, you could alleviate parking issues with making available to only full season ticket holders.
That's a good idea

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:22 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Of course you are correct ,somewhere there is a "sweet spot" where things line up at least "best".I would think that is what DG and team are trying to figure out and some is no doubt trial and error.As to my household , I run the show.

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:27 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:13 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:58 pm
Whether we like it or not, it does seem fair that levels of giving would also have limitations on the number of tickets you could buy whether it is "per ticket" or "per level threshold". I totally understand each person has to decide what is viable for themselves based on their situation. But there are a limited number of seats in KBS and as more demand comes the price will increase. Just because I paid $xxx 20 years ago and could get unlimited numbers of tickets doesn't mean I get the same deal now.
I'm sure this is designed to encourage more people to join Yosef. Too many members have been purchasing too many tickets in a section on one membership.
Should there be a grandfathering clause?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:28 pm

Here’s the thing. It’s easy to sit here and say that raising ticket prices and donations per seat will alienate parts of the fanbase and will prevent us from growing. My counterpoint is that nothing that we have tried over the last 15 years has appreciably grown the donor base.

We really like to show off our student section at home football games. Statistically speaking, it isn’t difficult to expect that the “active” donor base should have grown by 160-200 donors per year over the last 10 years. But it hasn’t. So how do we create demand to get people to donate?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:29 pm

appstate5 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:27 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:13 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:58 pm
Whether we like it or not, it does seem fair that levels of giving would also have limitations on the number of tickets you could buy whether it is "per ticket" or "per level threshold". I totally understand each person has to decide what is viable for themselves based on their situation. But there are a limited number of seats in KBS and as more demand comes the price will increase. Just because I paid $xxx 20 years ago and could get unlimited numbers of tickets doesn't mean I get the same deal now.
I'm sure this is designed to encourage more people to join Yosef. Too many members have been purchasing too many tickets in a section on one membership.
Should there be a grandfathering clause?
How do you grandfather people in while fixing the problem?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”