Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Healy Fired

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Healy Fired

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:36 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:13 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:29 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:05 am
Satt was frustrated with the lack of resources at App, I can’t imagine the Concord situation is any more appealing to him.
Well it wasnt like he didnt understand what our money challenges were and are......
Understanding it and working with it are different things. He would want his staff paid at the top end of the AAC and I’m not sure UNCC can afford that.
He might would but if he loses a couple more and UL fires him then I would imagine any decent HC offer would be accepted. It would look good to land as a HC and don't forget Charlotte has great proximity to home for Scott and his wife. They want to be closer and if he could turn them around to just win 7-9 games he would likely get looks for another big money job. I figure he might be willing to take less to get back closer to home.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:23 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:56 am
LoyaltoAPP wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:19 pm
Tough to fundraise for an expanded football facility with the FB program in shambles.

https://charlotte.axios.com/298385/char ... lion-plan/
That looks like a nice place to hold a bowl game...

If Annapolis, Birmingham, Nashville and Myrtle Beach can have outdoor bowl games then why can't Charlotte?
Charlotte’s expansion plan for 10-15 years sounds like what App proposed for Conrad Stadium east side in the late ‘70s. See where that project went? No where

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:09 pm

We have 52 years up on the 9'ers
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:02 am

UNCC finds their guy.

Michigan associate head coach Biff Poggi

https://www.wbtv.com/2022/11/15/charlot ... all-coach/

interesting choice. Outside of the box and risk/reward is high. Guy is independently wealthy (think Joe Moglia @ CCU), and apparently a big part of Michigan success.

Also ran a successful high school program where he basically paid for everything. I wonder if part of the conversation was for him to personally pay for NIL and or their capital campaign to expand the stadium. Both look to be floundering @ UNCC in the face of poor economy and poor results.

We'll see if this pays dividends, they'll either be significantly better by the time our series starts in 2026 or on life support.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:38 am

We could be in big trouble if this guy works out like Moglia did at CCU. His own record was not that great but he set them up for success.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:38 am

It's definitely the coastal approach. Hire an older wealthy guy that loves football. It's worked for Coastal for now. Problem with that approach though is success is directly tied to one money bag. Once that money bag runs dry, you're back at square one.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:48 am

They had to do something drastically out of the box. I highly doubt those interested in the opening the last time, would even give them the time of day now. Be interesting to see what he does staff wise.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:55 am

App91 wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:38 am
We could be in big trouble if this guy works out like Moglia did at CCU. His own record was not that great but he set them up for success.
yeah i'd pump the brakes on that. We will have to compete in Charlotte no doubt, but we have a dedicated fanbase in Charlotte that is made up of people that aren't going to start following UNCC because they hired some millionaire football guy that looks like Mark mangino and dresses like Bill belichick.

By all accounts he invested ~$2.5MM in the high school he bought. Thats not much, is he willing to add a 0 to that to make a real dent in UNCC shortcomings? They didn't increase their assistant pool that much, is he willing to come out of pocket for that? I can't find any detail on this guys net worth, so i imagine its still in the $MM and not $B yet. Hes probably down big like a lot of the hedgies. My guess is hes either handed off the day to day management of the fund to someone else or put it in passive management. No way hes got the time to actively manage.

This could very well work out for UNCC and they get to respectability and a good base to build off of and some financial benefit. But i don't think its the "death" of app state football that their fans have been predicting since 2013.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:28 pm

I’m at Myers Park a ton because my wife teaches there, have a kid at another high school and most of the neighborhood kids are at South Meck. Tons of kids wear App gear. Never seen a high school kid in Charlotte wearing Charlotte gear. In fact, I have a friend that is a Charlotte grad and his son wears App gear. Case closed.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:40 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:28 pm
I’m at Myers Park a ton because my wife teaches there, have a kid at another high school and most of the neighborhood kids are at South Meck. Tons of kids wear App gear. Never seen a high school kid in Charlotte wearing Charlotte gear. In fact, I have a friend that is a Charlotte grad and his son wears App gear. Case closed.
It could be Baader-Meinhof phenomenon but I don't think so.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:02 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:55 am
App91 wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:38 am
yeah i'd pump the brakes on that. We will have to compete in Charlotte no doubt, but we have a dedicated fanbase in Charlotte that is made up of people that aren't going to start following UNCC because they hired some millionaire football guy that looks like Mark mangino and dresses like Bill belichick.

By all accounts he invested ~$2.5MM in the high school he bought. Thats not much, is he willing to add a 0 to that to make a real dent in UNCC shortcomings? They didn't increase their assistant pool that much, is he willing to come out of pocket for that? I can't find any detail on this guys net worth, so i imagine its still in the $MM and not $B yet. Hes probably down big like a lot of the hedgies. My guess is hes either handed off the day to day management of the fund to someone else or put it in passive management. No way hes got the time to actively manage.

This could very well work out for UNCC and they get to respectability and a good base to build off of and some financial benefit. But i don't think its the "death" of app state football that their fans have been predicting since 2013.
Their fanbase was blowing it up at first. Now, they are 50/50 on it. Biff will definitely make waves, and his work with NIL will be interesting. But, there's a difference in consulting with a program that is on the doorstep (Michigan) and building a program from scratch. It will be interesting to see what type of staff he hires. At 63, he has 5-7 years to build the program.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:43 pm

This is an experiment that can work in the NIL era.

A coach with minimal experience and a large wallet can be a winning combination.

This is not what college athletics was about, but it will be the end of an era, one which App isn’t prepared for unfortunately.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:54 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:43 pm

A coach with minimal experience and a large wallet can be a winning combination.

This is not what college athletics was about, but it will be the end of an era, one which App isn’t prepared for unfortunately.
A bit if a stretch to say he has minimal experience. He was a very successful HS coach in Baltimore for many years prior to moving over to the school he poured a ton of money into. He made a lot of enemies, too. Apparently, casting a wide recruiting net and using his money to dominate the conference to the point where schools just refused to schedule them anymore.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:02 pm

Saint3333 wrote:

App could hire/recruit an NIL business manager the same as any other school if it becomes a thing. NIL's don't have to be local. People are getting millions of followers on platforms like TikTok. Potentially a strong marketing team could market our brand (and a players NIL deal) across the nation and beyond.

But, honestly, there's no guarantee this is going to work. There's a difference in funding an inter-city all star team (AAU) and competing against strong programs nationally. It could work, or it could make Lambert and Healy look like HOF coaches.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:08 pm

So what is his motivation at Charlotte? To prove at 63 he has the juice to be a success at the college level? Is he going to dump his wallet into the 49ers program to prove it? Does he has any past connection to Charlotte?

Is he planning to prove a point using his own money?

Just saying it doesn’t seem logical He pours his own money in but I may be wrong.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:35 pm

Just reading these posts makes me see visions of sugar plums...no, wait...

...visions of NCAA violations/sanctions in Charlotte's future...

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:08 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:54 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

A bit if a stretch to say he has minimal experience. He was a very successful HS coach in Baltimore for many years prior to moving over to the school he poured a ton of money into. He made a lot of enemies, too. Apparently, casting a wide recruiting net and using his money to dominate the conference to the point where schools just refused to schedule them anymore.
He has very little college coaching experience. MS ain’t HS, HS ain’t college, and college ain’t NFL. Each has much different challenges.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:13 pm

Maybe he is buds with Tepper and will partner with panthers
Bring Your A Game!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:22 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:13 pm

appstanding

Unread post by appstanding » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:13 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:13 pm
Absolutely. I see a seven-year contract on the horizon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”