Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

JMU Game Day Thread

ah59396
School: Appalachian State

Re: JMU Game Day Thread

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:30 pm

app97 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:25 pm
Just when you think things couldn’t get any more interesting…ULM is about to win a football game.

ULL doesn’t look very good right now from my limited eyeball test. I’d bet on Troy or maybe even USA in the west at this point.
Southern Miss also knocked out 3-0 Tulane. The West is WIDE OPEN. It’s gonna be a fun year in the Belt.
YNWA

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:34 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:20 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:01 pm
6 top 25 teams lost today - 3 more are trailing - if you can't see that there isn't much difference between most of the top 50-60 teams you aren't paying attention --- No, there is no excuse for losing today but I'm sure T A&M said the same thing two weeks ago and everyone else who has lost to someone they think they should have beaten and we are only 4 weeks in --- take a deep breath
There is a lot more parity for sure. This is not the same Sun Belt that it was when we entered though. A first year transition team should not beat a team that is suppose to be the best in the East. This was a staff using the "play not to lose instead of play to win strategy" and we got outcoached badly by JMU. I thought JMU was good but should not have had enough FBS talent to beat us quite yet.

We have some injuries but my question is does losing 3-4 good players take a team who was so good they could beat a top 10 team and drop them down to losing to a team who just transitioned from FCS to FBS? That seems like a huge drop off. The bottom line is we lost to a better team today. Maybe JMU would not beat us if we had a rematch next week but I would say A&M feels the same about us. We lost to them and better regroup. Luckily, we have an easier October. If we are not 6-2 heading to Coastal Carolina then we will be in major trouble. We have a month where we should be able to heal up some guys and make adjustments. As much as we should win the next 4 games our last 4 games could all be a win or a loss. I won't write these guys off yet because we have a lot of time but we do need to make some adjustments.
They have the talent, partly due to their ability to bring in lots of players from major conferences via the transfer portal…something we didn’t have the advantage of during our fcs-fbs transition. They also have a really good coaching staff, including a head coach who worked under saban.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:35 pm

Just so you know it all assumers understand...If App were playing WVU I would be rooting for App. Take that 69 and come up with another whiny argument
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:38 pm

J_Mountaineers wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:24 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:39 pm
What really hurts about this loss is that every time we almost turn a corner we stub our toes.
The top 10 losses on OT, 2019 ga southern, today.

A&M looks good and they might beat Arkansas, most of teams 20-25 lost, we could be ranked week 4 and be in the drivers seat for the NY6. But instead we’re giving up a 28-3 lead in the 2nd quarter.

THIS. THIS. THIS. We can never get out of our own way. That’s what drives me nuts. It’s one thing to get beat, it’s another thing to beat yourself (we did it in 2019 and today). This program is absolutely allergic to taking it to the next level.
Yeah I’m not sure if boise or Cincy was like this and had some false starts over the years and all these missed opportunities and then finally put it together or what. But it sure is frustrating. At least Marshall feels our pain

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:39 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:35 pm
Just so you know it all assumers understand...If App were playing WVU I would be rooting for App. Take that 69 and come up with another whiny argument
Some of these post are pathetic. The jackals are out.

AppSt12

Unread post by AppSt12 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:58 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
6 top 25 teams lost today - 3 more are trailing - if you can't see that there isn't much difference between most of the top 50-60 teams you aren't paying attention --- No, there is no excuse for losing today but I'm sure T A&M said the same thing two weeks ago and everyone else who has lost to someone they think they should have beaten and we are only 4 weeks in --- take a deep breath
I agree. Top 25 teams lose every week. But they can go 8-4 and make their conference title game...win that and NY6 bowl. We had done the hardest thing to do on our schedule. Beat a&m. That had us not only in the drivers seat for a NY6 bowl, but winning out was our only shot. We had our let down week vs Troy. To be up 28-3 and throw all that away is devestating. We still can win the conference title...double digit win season and a bowl no doubt. But weve done all that many times. I think there is a fear (i certainly have it) that if we dont make a ny6 bowl soon...it may not happen. We are on the coat tails of our full fbs years at 11-2, 10-3, 9-4, 11-2, 13-1, 9-3, 10-4 with 4 conference titles and 6 bowl wins.

But our last 6 games were a loss to louisiana, humiliation vs western kentucky, a loss to UNC after leading 21-7, an amazing win over a&m, lucky win vs troy and total implosion vs jmu. We should be 1-3 this season and 1-5 in our last 6 (we deserved every bit of tamu)

So their is a fear we are losing our footing. Its been very choppy since we lost drinkowitz. 3-9 vs comparable opponents and what appears on the surface (hopefully im wrong) very weak recruiting in the clark era. We are relying on satterfield and drinkwitz recruits along with transfers to get any production on offense and defense. The new guys havnt been to par the last 2 years...but we will see.

12-2 is still possible. Weve got to get healthy and completely change our mindset. But it can be done! This one will burn. For the 1st time since we joined the league we are not the class of the conference. I hope our boys use that fire to crush the competition.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:04 pm

app97 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:34 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
There is a lot more parity for sure. This is not the same Sun Belt that it was when we entered though. A first year transition team should not beat a team that is suppose to be the best in the East. This was a staff using the "play not to lose instead of play to win strategy" and we got outcoached badly by JMU. I thought JMU was good but should not have had enough FBS talent to beat us quite yet.

We have some injuries but my question is does losing 3-4 good players take a team who was so good they could beat a top 10 team and drop them down to losing to a team who just transitioned from FCS to FBS? That seems like a huge drop off. The bottom line is we lost to a better team today. Maybe JMU would not beat us if we had a rematch next week but I would say A&M feels the same about us. We lost to them and better regroup. Luckily, we have an easier October. If we are not 6-2 heading to Coastal Carolina then we will be in major trouble. We have a month where we should be able to heal up some guys and make adjustments. As much as we should win the next 4 games our last 4 games could all be a win or a loss. I won't write these guys off yet because we have a lot of time but we do need to make some adjustments.
They have the talent, partly due to their ability to bring in lots of players from major conferences via the transfer portal…something we didn’t have the advantage of during our fcs-fbs transition. They also have a really good coaching staff, including a head coach who worked under saban.
They have a great head coach. I said they were good and have FBS talent but should not have enough FBS talent to beat us quite yet. If they are beating us now imagine when they start taking players we want and start winning recruiting battles against top SBC teams.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:05 pm

So if someone knows this for sure please answer. So many have made a point tonight that this loss is so big because it's a conference game and within our division. My understanding is that JMU is ineligible for the conference title and thus having the head to head over us is irrelevant. Therefore we win our remaining division games we'll have the head to head over all opponents. Correct?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:07 pm

So pissed, I went to the campground, tore down the pop-up, and drove back to Raleigh to calm down. In a nut shell, poor tackling and an offense that did not come out of the locker room after halftime. Our O line got owned in the second half. No reason to sugar coat it, we just allowed JMU to write the same story as us and the stink when we came in to the SB.

No excuses, that was a choke job and one of the top 5 worst losses ever at KBS in my 30 years going to games. That team was whipped, they new it, their fans new it, everyone knew it. Choke city with lasting consequences.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:08 pm

AppSt12 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:58 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
I agree. Top 25 teams lose every week. But they can go 8-4 and make their conference title game...win that and NY6 bowl. We had done the hardest thing to do on our schedule. Beat a&m. That had us not only in the drivers seat for a NY6 bowl, but winning out was our only shot. We had our let down week vs Troy. To be up 28-3 and throw all that away is devestating. We still can win the conference title...double digit win season and a bowl no doubt. But weve done all that many times. I think there is a fear (i certainly have it) that if we dont make a ny6 bowl soon...it may not happen. We are on the coat tails of our full fbs years at 11-2, 10-3, 9-4, 11-2, 13-1, 9-3, 10-4 with 4 conference titles and 6 bowl wins.

But our last 6 games were a loss to louisiana, humiliation vs western kentucky, a loss to UNC after leading 21-7, an amazing win over a&m, lucky win vs troy and total implosion vs jmu. We should be 1-3 this season and 1-5 in our last 6 (we deserved every bit of tamu)

So their is a fear we are losing our footing. Its been very choppy since we lost drinkowitz. 3-9 vs comparable opponents and what appears on the surface (hopefully im wrong) very weak recruiting in the clark era. We are relying on satterfield and drinkwitz recruits along with transfers to get any production on offense and defense. The new guys havnt been to par the last 2 years...but we will see.

12-2 is still possible. Weve got to get healthy and completely change our mindset. But it can be done! This one will burn. For the 1st time since we joined the league we are not the class of the conference. I hope our boys use that fire to crush the competition.
Maybe this ends up being true, but I don't understand how we can say this in the month of September when we don't yet who will win the other G5 conferences. Many of our peers in American, Mountain West, etc have yet to even start their league play.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:11 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:05 pm
So if someone knows this for sure please answer. So many have made a point tonight that this loss is so big because it's a conference game and within our division. My understanding is that JMU is ineligible for the conference title and thus having the head to head over us is irrelevant. Therefore we win our remaining division games we'll have the head to head over all opponents. Correct?
That's my understanding. Unless they change the rule mid-season, JMU is ineligible for the Sun Belt title and for any bowls. The loss counts in conference play but it's not as bad as losing to Coastal which would mean Coastal would have to lose 3 conference games or App come out on winning end of a multiple-team tiebreak.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:12 pm

Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:27 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:51 pm
You guys really think we would have had College GameDay if we had lost at A&M? - Hell No - some of you guys have been begging for more national notice for years - We beat a #5 team on the road and get GameDay and win on an unbelievable Hail Mary and we lose today and everything is going to Hell - Unbelievable - If you are not Alabama or Georgia or Ohio State you have little chance of going undefeated - many top teams will have multiple losses
You do realize how hard it is to get that media attention back? We blew it dude.
Exactly. We all know what A&M did for us in terms of getting our brand out there but once you get those eyeballs it does not do much good if you stumble this quick. Now, in terms of what our main goals are which is to win the Sun Belt and win a bowl game, A&M does not even matter. JMU does. We can still win the SBC and a bowl game but I only say that because I think going undefeated in the SBC will be very tough. We still don't have 3-4 ranked teams in our league to where we can make a big statement win. CCU and JMU both could end up ranked but we just lost to one of them. I thought we would lose 1-2 SBC games but I thought it would be to established powers and not to a first-year FBS program.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:19 pm

Maybe this is just a chaos season. Already a ton of upsets.

I’m watching the freaking Beavers going toe-to-toe with #7 USC right now. Oregon State has been awful for a decade.
YNWA

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:21 pm

The JMU loss is not the normal factor, they are ineligible
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:30 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:04 pm
app97 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:34 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

They have a great head coach. I said they were good and have FBS talent but should not have enough FBS talent to beat us quite yet. If they are beating us now imagine when they start taking players we want and start winning recruiting battles against top SBC teams.
Much like we didnt have the talent to beat A&M or UNC in 2019, but we had the scheme and/or game plan to win that day. Competition breeds excellence and innovation. Welcome to the new sun belt. I’m disappointed in the loss (especially the way we lost) but I’m glad JMU and other newcomers are in the belt in order to put some pressure on us to be even better.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:54 am

Someone earlier posted that "no one is asking for the coaches to be fired". I respectfully disagree with that comment. There are several on YC that do. "Coach is better as an offensive assistant coach" "That is what you get when you hire a players coach" "Coach is not the right guy for the job""..if not direct statements, of wanting him fired, they are indirect statements of wanting this to happen. I am NOT one of them. Coach Clark was not their pick and it seems that their hope is that he fails. Coach could be successful for 20+ yeats. Win 8 to 13 games a year and they would still be chirping that he was a bad hire. And the chirping around Coach Jones seems to be endless.

I have a different perspective For two years on this forum, it has been said that this would be a transition year given all the talent we would lose. Well, here we are. Give the coaches time to coach.

We control our own destiny to win the East..No conference game is going to be easy. However we got 4 weeks to get better in all 3 phases.
Let's Go App. St!! Let's Go App. St.!!
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:56 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:05 pm
They are considered in year two of transition due to Covid-19 allowing super seniors. They can’t compete in a bowl game or win the title but they do count as a league loss. The SBC website has us with a conference loss: https://sunbeltsports.org/standings.aspx?path=football

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:58 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:54 am
Someone earlier posted that "no one is asking for the coaches to be fired". I respectfully disagree with that comment. There are several on YC that do. "Coach is better as an offensive assistant coach" "That is what you get when you hire a players coach" "Coach is not the right guy for the job""..if not direct statements, of wanting him fired, they are indirect statements of wanting this to happen. I am NOT one of them. Coach Clark was not their pick and it seems that their hope is that he fails. Coach could be successful for 20+ yeats. Win 8 to 13 games a year and they would still be chirping that he was a bad hire. And the chirping around Coach Jones seems to be endless.

I have a different perspective For two years on this forum, it has been said that this would be a transition year given all the talent we would lose. Well, here we are. Give the coaches time to coach.

We control our own destiny to win the East..No conference game is going to be easy. However we got 4 weeks to get better in all 3 phases.
We all know that we technically do control our own destiny still but I think the concern here is that we have a lot more games that should be just as tough. I did expect to lose 2 league games this year but I didn’t expect one to be JMU.

Troy and JMU have shown how to beat us and there is no doubt there are teams good enough if they use the blueprint. We have to get a lot better if we are going to win the east.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:00 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:58 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:54 am

We all know that we technically do control our own destiny still but I think the concern here is that we have a lot more games that should be just as tough. I did expect to lose 2 league games this year but I didn’t expect one to be JMU.

Troy and JMU have shown how to beat us and there is no doubt there are teams good enough if they use the blueprint. We have to get a lot better if we are going to win the east.
Dude, this is the epitome of your typical negative post everyday on this forum. We do not "technically" control our own destiny.. We DO control our own our own destiny. Not sure what college football team you are a fan of..it doesn't appear to be App. St. given all of your Debbie Downer posts. Sorry to all the Debbies out there. You deserve better association 😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:08 am

Everyone is overlooking the real reason we aren’t playing well. It’s because they took the stripes off of the jersey sleeves and put them on the helmets. Take those helmet stripes off and we never lose again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”