Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

On To The Next One - JMU Discussion

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: On To The Next One - JMU Discussion

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:32 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:28 am
bcoach wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:38 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:30 am
Longrifle28 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:20 am
Doing a little research. We are definitely the more tested team playing two P-5's and a conference rival. However, the different rating systems have us barely as a favorite at home (espn App -8), (Sagarin App -3.5) and (Massey App -4.5).

After playing Norfolk State and Middle Tennessee State they are only allowing like 10 yards rushing per game and just over 100 yards passing per game. Their QB looks to be pretty dynamic and can run and throw. They appear to be pretty balanced passing/rushing. If they are legit, this game could get hairy. Hope we are ready....
We have definitely been more tested but I think many expected their game with MTSU to be close since there were unknowns. Their QB has been fantastic and after seeing him I can see why they throttled MTSU. JMU is very hungry for this win so I hope Shawn has been able to focus on this opponent without many distractions. The fact he did not see film on Troy until Wednesday is just not going to do it as the season goes on. I hope he is turning down all media this week because these requests will dry up anyway if we lose. All that matters is we get healthy and just win because JMU will be ready and everyone after them is going to give us their best shot.
He is the head coach. He is doing his job.
I never said he is not doing his job in general but he literally admitted he did not get to look at Troy until Wednesday because of the crazy interview schedule. Last week did effect his ability to do his job like he feels he needs to. I just said I hope he gets to turn down interviews or not get many requests and has a normal week so he can focus. Coaches like routines so it had to be tough. I'm not sure what gave you the thought to say that when I never said he is not the head coach or that he is not doing his job. :lol:
There is no " in general about it". He did exactly what a head coach of the kind of program you want needs to do. He has very capable assistant coaches. Turning down media opportunities is the direct opposite of what he needs to do if you want the kind of program most want. My last thought is that he may just know a little more about the job than anyone on this board.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:46 pm

bcoach wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:32 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Longrifle28 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:20 am
Doing a little research. We are definitely the more tested team playing two P-5's and a conference rival. However, the different rating systems have us barely as a favorite at home (espn App -8), (Sagarin App -3.5) and (Massey App -4.5).

After playing Norfolk State and Middle Tennessee State they are only allowing like 10 yards rushing per game and just over 100 yards passing per game. Their QB looks to be pretty dynamic and can run and throw. They appear to be pretty balanced passing/rushing. If they are legit, this game could get hairy. Hope we are ready....
We have definitely been more tested but I think many expected their game with MTSU to be close since there were unknowns. Their QB has been fantastic and after seeing him I can see why they throttled MTSU. JMU is very hungry for this win so I hope Shawn has been able to focus on this opponent without many distractions. The fact he did not see film on Troy until Wednesday is just not going to do it as the season goes on. I hope he is turning down all media this week because these requests will dry up anyway if we lose. All that matters is we get healthy and just win because JMU will be ready and everyone after them is going to give us their best shot.
I never said he is not doing his job in general but he literally admitted he did not get to look at Troy until Wednesday because of the crazy interview schedule. Last week did effect his ability to do his job like he feels he needs to. I just said I hope he gets to turn down interviews or not get many requests and has a normal week so he can focus. Coaches like routines so it had to be tough. I'm not sure what gave you the thought to say that when I never said he is not the head coach or that he is not doing his job. :lol:
There is no " in general about it". He did exactly what a head coach of the kind of program you want needs to do. He has very capable assistant coaches. Turning down media opportunities is the direct opposite of what he needs to do if you want the kind of program most want. My last thought is that he may just know a little more about the job than anyone on this board.
They said they did turn down media opportunities and my comment was basically meaning that even with that I was surprised Shawn had the time to do all he did. He might be a head coach unlike us but he never had to deal with that before so he was learning with it. I remember Jerry Moore and others saying they wish they could have done some things different after Michigan.

For us to become the type of program many want we will have to double staffing in some places and increase salaries. I wonder if they are looking to add more people in media relations because most P5s have way more than we do just like the fact we have a bigger staff than a typical FCS or D2 program has.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:59 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:46 pm
bcoach wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

They said they did turn down media opportunities and my comment was basically meaning that even with that I was surprised Shawn had the time to do all he did. He might be a head coach unlike us but he never had to deal with that before so he was learning with it. I remember Jerry Moore and others saying they wish they could have done some things different after Michigan.

For us to become the type of program many want we will have to double staffing in some places and increase salaries. I wonder if they are looking to add more people in media relations because most P5s have way more than we do just like the fact we have a bigger staff than a typical FCS or D2 program has.
Put down the shovel.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:47 pm

bcoach wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:59 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Put down the shovel.
You made it sound like I was trying to tell them what they should do but I literally said what they said they did except for the fact I was surprised they did as many as they did. 34 is a lot when you don't get but a few normally. Clark said they turned some down and admitted the schedule threw them off. Ask the SIDs and coaches if they take every media opportunity that comes your way. There are media members who would talk their ear off every day if they let them. Shawn knows you have to limit it sometimes. I'm glad for all the attention but just hope we live up to it because they will all drop us like a rock if we lose.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:58 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:47 pm
bcoach wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:59 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Put down the shovel.
You made it sound like I was trying to tell them what they should do but I literally said what they said they did except for the fact I was surprised they did as many as they did. 34 is a lot when you don't get but a few normally. Clark said they turned some down and admitted the schedule threw them off. Ask the SIDs and coaches if they take every media opportunity that comes your way. There are media members who would talk their ear off every day if they let them. Shawn knows you have to limit it sometimes. I'm glad for all the attention but just hope we live up to it because they will all drop us like a rock if we lose.
Your also telling us A&M isn’t that good and JMU will probably win. I’m reading all your posts and there is definitely a theme of negativity toward the program interwoven in your posts.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:12 pm

Hail..Mary
Please let this hijacking of this JMU thread die... damnit..die..😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:10 am

Where do we stand with injuries and health this week for JMU?

Can we put someone on QB spy this week? Preferably an LB that isnt as good in coverage but has enough speed to chase down the qb. Cobb? Parker? Doublin/Bird?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:24 am

311neers wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:10 am
Where do we stand with injuries and health this week for JMU?

Can we put someone on QB spy this week? Preferably an LB that isnt as good in coverage but has enough speed to chase down the qb. Cobb? Parker? Doublin/Bird?
I think Cobb and Noel are good to go. It sounds like the status on Wells is not known. Just getting Cobb and Noel back is huge. You can tell when we don't have them available. They are both really good players. Cobb is really huge because it looks like Harrington is out for a long time, if not the entire season.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:08 am

I'm sure LB Harrington out has been hurting us and since he hasn't been mentioned in updates I assume he's out for a while.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:49 am

App is on Upset Watch

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... c779d4f54a

Appalachian State (vs. James Madison)
3:30 p.m. on ESPN+

One of the historical darlings and juggernauts of the Group of 5 ranks, Appalachian State, will have its work cut out when James Madison comes to Boone. The Dukes have been one of the premier FCS programs in recent years and are seemingly poised to make an immediate splash at the FBS level. The raucous road environment won't be a factor. James Madison has played in bigger games with a lot more meaning. The Dukes have the talent and the coaching to pull off the upset of an Appalachian State team whose first three games have been decided by a total of nine points.
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:10 pm

While we wait for JMU on Saturday, Coastal-2 vs GaState play on TV tonight at 7:30
BLACK SATURDAY

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:32 pm

Hey Black Saturday, at least it ain't Villanova coming to town :D :o ;)
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:46 pm

Ok just because some writer made this prediction it's supposed to mean something? Good grief anybody can say that team X is on upset alert. Usually that stuff gets said on game day when the underdog is already winning late in the game. I guess App and JMU are viewed differently depending on who looks at us. We pretty much view JMU as pretty close to us and not some FCS team.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:00 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:46 pm
Ok just because some writer made this prediction it's supposed to mean something? Good grief anybody can say that team X is on upset alert. Usually that stuff gets said on game day when the underdog is already winning late in the game. I guess App and JMU are viewed differently depending on who looks at us. We pretty much view JMU as pretty close to us and not some FCS team.
It's probably written because APP is recently in the spotlight?
BLACK SATURDAY

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:26 pm

MAJOR INTRIGUE FOR UPSET GAMES:

1st one: FOX
2nd one: ABC
3rd one: ESPN2
4th one: FS1!!!!
5th one:.........................espn+

I'm not going to lie, I PERSONALLY love it being on ESPN+ because I don't have cable so I don't get any of the other channels besides whatever the antenna picks up, but I know from a national recognition standpoint, I can't wait for the renegotiations of TV deals to take place.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:57 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:10 pm
While we wait for JMU on Saturday, Coastal-2 vs GaState play on TV tonight at 7:30
Go Panthers!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:56 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:32 pm
Hey Black Saturday, at least it ain't Villanova coming to town :D :o ;)
We better not lose to this crowd like we lost to Villanova. :lol:
BLACK SATURDAY

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:33 pm

Well App had played in bigger games that this one too......That doesnt mean a thing.............

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:16 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:39 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:24 pm
When is the last time App beat an accurate mobile QB by a couple scores?
Would Holton Ahlers from ECU fit your definition?

If not, Chris Reynolds in 2020 would count (UNCC)
Darren Grainger at Georgia State is borderline accurate and very mobile. Beat them pretty handily last year.
Last edited by AppDub on Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:11 pm

We win Saturday and I really like our chances the rest of the way. The Coastal and Marshall both have tougher games for several weeks before facing us. We could hopefully should be much healthier after our mid season games. At least that's a bright side of a tough November schedule for us.
Beat the Dukes!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”