Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Stadium Expansion

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Re: Stadium Expansion

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:40 am

I would never be able to find the posts, but I was preaching stadium expansion on this board several years ago once some of these big games and series were getting announced. I'm not talking just the P5 games either, the series with ECU, Marshall, Charlotte, etc. will draw huge crowds I said.
I also encouraged non-season ticket holders to go ahead and get them in case we didn't expand the stadium. We now actually have a "season ticket waitlist for 2023" on the website for those who don't already have season tickets this year. I have no idea how many are currently on that waitlist...but it's an amazing situation.
I was repeatedly shot down because of the fear of the optics of seeing too much aluminum on televised games. I also pointed out that we would need to build for the future and not the current situation. In the words of the great Wayne Gretsky, "skate to where the puck is going, not where it has been'"
So, I really think if everyone would start listening to me more everyone would be in a better place...I tell my wife that all the time but to no avail.. :P

Also, I will reiterate, this new playoff format starting as early as 2 years from now...is going to be MASSIVELY HUGE for our program.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:04 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:29 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:17 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:51 am
Tailgating is being killed.
Interesting. How so? Do you mean because we are building parking decks?
Yes, the parking decks.
I get it and it sucks. My only comment is that tailgating is 6-7 times a year and the need for parking is 365. I wish we had the room to build surface lots but we don’t.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:08 am

Thank you Karnac .We won't be gutting and building a new stadium ,money and logistics.There is no prevailing reason to change the SEZ until we need 50k.You might see the connection and enclosure of the north with seating of course as well as a possible , but not as likely , third deck East.And it may be sooner than later.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:12 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:04 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Yes, the parking decks.
I get it and it sucks. My only comment is that tailgating is 6-7 times a year and the need for parking is 365. I wish we had the room to build surface lots but we don’t.
What's worse, a parking deck or a huge surface lot, like the old stadium lot that has now been replaced by dorms? To me that stadium lot was one of the biggest eye sores on our campus. Tailgating can be reinvented with our current situation with creativity. Not to mention if you get a roof top spot on a deck, that provides great tailgating opportunities.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:13 am

For those that enjoy open lots for tailgating, we do have HHS and Legends. I'm sure a lot of those in those lots will accept if you want to swap with them.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:14 am

AppSt94 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Yes, the parking decks.
So true. People who only come up to games can easily overlook that. We need parking for students all the time but tailgating is just a few times a year. It would be nice if there was enough parking so students did not have to move their cars for weekend games but we are limited.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:34 am

ASU-FTW wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:12 am
AppSt94 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Yes, the parking decks.
What's worse, a parking deck or a huge surface lot, like the old stadium lot that has now been replaced by dorms? To me that stadium lot was one of the biggest eye sores on our campus. Tailgating can be reinvented with our current situation with creativity. Not to mention if you get a roof top spot on a deck, that provides great tailgating opportunities.
If they are smart, they sell spots on the grassy areas for people to purchase for tailgating. Maybe have extra tents and supplies to rent out.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:40 am

Probably the most famous tailgate in the world, the Grove at Ole Miss, isn’t a parking lot. We just need to get people to change their mindset that they might have to walk a few feet to set up everything.
Give 'em hell!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:08 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:40 am
Probably the most famous tailgate in the world, the Grove at Ole Miss, isn’t a parking lot. We just need to get people to change their mindset that they might have to walk a few feet to set up everything.
This is the type of thinking that we need more of around here. I have always thought the Sanford Mall would be a great place for tailgating. It could literally become a mini grove area and it's not a bad walk to the stadium. Sure, people would have to unload their cars and not park next to their tent but those type of things are easily done.

AppUSMC

Unread post by AppUSMC » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:04 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:08 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:40 am
This is the type of thinking that we need more of around here. I have always thought the Sanford Mall would be a great place for tailgating. It could literally become a mini grove area and it's not a bad walk to the stadium. Sure, people would have to unload their cars and not park next to their tent but those type of things are easily done.
If Sanford Mall could be used like the Grove at Ole Miss, it could be EPIC tailgating on a proportion human civilization may not be ready for!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:07 pm

What about making the top level of select parking decks green space? Grass, shrubs, maybe a few small trees on the deck and a few tall trees on the ground level nearby to create a nice tailgate-able space.

Here's an example. Obviously a wild urban environment different from ours, but the concept is still visible:

And here's a concept image that looks more similar to what I'd hope they would do.

"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:11 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Legit question: Would you get yelled at if you were to do that today? I'm sure the reason most people haven't ventured out is it seems we have some of the most strict tailgate rules in the country (namely with open containers crossing streets and drinking games)

To be fair though, this year is my first year on the roof of a deck and I love it. Gives me an excuse to tailgate afterwards too as a wait for the cars exiting to thin out, but I assume those with families and kids probably wouldn't like this option too much.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:17 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:11 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Legit question: Would you get yelled at if you were to do that today? I'm sure the reason most people haven't ventured out is it seems we have some of the most strict tailgate rules in the country (namely with open containers crossing streets and drinking games)

To be fair though, this year is my first year on the roof of a deck and I love it. Gives me an excuse to tailgate afterwards too as a wait for the cars exiting to thin out, but I assume those with families and kids probably wouldn't like this option too much.
The idea has been discussed all the way back to Delphi days. Rent tents and tables for the season and put them up/take them down as an additional revenue stream. I’m just not sure how many people would take advantage. But if you provided power hookups and a drop off area close to Sanford Mall, you’d get early adopters and eventually it would fill up.

I don’t think the University currently allows it unless there’s prior approval, and the rules are completely unclear.
Give 'em hell!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:31 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:17 pm
t4pizza wrote:

The idea has been discussed all the way back to Delphi days. Rent tents and tables for the season and put them up/take them down as an additional revenue stream. I’m just not sure how many people would take advantage. But if you provided power hookups and a drop off area close to Sanford Mall, you’d get early adopters and eventually it would fill up.

I don’t think the University currently allows it unless there’s prior approval, and the rules are completely unclear.
I'm sure this outfit would love to operate in Boone if the opportunity presented itself.

https://revelxp.com/

They already service UNC, NCSU, WFU, Charlotte, and many more.
WE ARE YOSEF!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:40 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:31 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

I'm sure this outfit would love to operate in Boone if the opportunity presented itself.

https://revelxp.com/

They already service UNC, NCSU, WFU, Charlotte, and many more.
I believe I found that group the first time I suggested the idea 😛
Give 'em hell!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:55 pm

I have attended tailgates on Sanford Mall in years past.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:09 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Yes, the parking decks.
True, but maybe Greenwood and the old Broyhill property need to be re-envisioned. Obviously, you loose access to King Street and to the old Stadium Parking lot being the front door of the stadium. But, maybe we need to build a switchback path down from the upper parking lots. (Or maybe we go big and get a chairlift for the up and down excursion). However, if you are going to expand the seating, parking and traffic are going to need to be addressed. If the tailgating opportunity is good, fans arrive and leave over a longer period of time, which alleviates traffic.

Plus, there are too many tailgating groups that have been split up by construction over the last few years.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:14 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:09 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Yes, the parking decks.
True, but maybe Greenwood and the old Broyhill property need to be re-envisioned. Obviously, you loose access to King Street and to the old Stadium Parking lot being the front door of the stadium. But, maybe we need to build a switchback path down from the upper parking lots. (Or maybe we go big and get a chairlift for the up and down excursion). However, if you are going to expand the seating, parking and traffic are going to need to be addressed. If the tailgating opportunity is good, fans arrive and leave over a longer period of time, which alleviates traffic.

Plus, there are too many tailgating groups that have been split up by construction over the last few years.
Agree. No need to add seats until parking is completed.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:17 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:43 am
JT I love that, did you finally claim that missing lottery ticket?
Yeah, just working out the particulars with my lawyer... lol
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:22 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

Troy does this right outside of their scoreboard end zone. It looks really good and creates a good environment. They only charge $300 per game. We could do something similar in the grass area between the new dorms, or maybe Sanford since that is now on the map for Saturday. Both locations have easy access for food services.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”