Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Stadium Expansion

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Stadium Expansion

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:37 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:44 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:30 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:21 pm
For those wanting seats back in the NEZ, it isn’t happening anytime soon if ever. There are other areas where we can add seats before you start messing with the cash cow.
What if we replace seats on visiting side, add seats to SEZ and make seats in NEZ permanent along with adding a ton of suites? When weather is super hot or cold people would rather be indoors and that area in the NEZ has not been there that long so there should not be a huge fight if you put those over there in suites. If we continue to grow they will eventually have to put seats over there, even if it is 5-10 years from now. People might complain at first like they will with the hill being gone but they will get over it. Most would rather have a suite indoors between the 30 and 50 than the NEZ if they have the money. Surely there will be more added to the NEZ. There are not enough seats in that area with our current growth.
Given the administration push for premium seating, I don’t see them replacing, rather it’s more likely they will add.
When I say replace I mean put new seats on the visitors side and add even more seats with a bunch of suites as well. If we bowled the whole stadium like the Panthers could have suites going all around but that costs a ton of money and I'm sure we could not do that. lol

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:47 pm

Honestly, I think suites and club seats on the East side and seats to replace Miller Hill probably suffice our needs for a while.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:51 pm

In all of this discussion the one thing I hope we never, ever, ever do is take seating space from students or move students from the front of the stadium. I hate seeing students at the “big time” schools getting put just in the end zone or relegated to a corner of the stadium. I love our west side student section and for that matter Miller Hill.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:53 pm

I said this over a decade ago, when the new east deck was added-the entire Stanford football stadium is built using the same materials and construction of the east deck. It’s much quicker and more cost effective than concrete. I hate to say this, but if it’s good enough for Stanford, it’s good enough for us. There’s ways to “clean up” the look of the east deck (chain link fencing and those god-awful ramps) that could be done as part of a renovation to that side that would make it 1000 times better.

At some point I expect the west side to be renovated and the stands to be moved closer to the east side. That renovation would more closely mimic the look of the east side and provide more concourse space (but reduce seating). Then the east could be redone to match the west. Or conversely, we redo the east completely, including a lower bowl on Miller Hill, and have a JMU style stadium for a couple years. Eventually we have a “U” of lower and upper seats, with probably 40k capacity. That’s about the limit I could see.

If I’m DG, this is my master stadium plan.
Last edited by BeauFoster on Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give 'em hell!

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:56 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:51 pm
In all of this discussion the one thing I hope we never, ever, ever do is take seating space from students or move students from the front of the stadium. I hate seeing students at the “big time” schools getting put just in the end zone or relegated to a corner of the stadium. I love our west side student section and for that matter Miller Hill.
I totally agree. If I had won that billion dollar lottery, that would be a stipulation of my donation - keep the students where they are. I don't know if there is room for it, but I always thought it would look great if we could mirror the athletic facility on the visitors side giving a more uniform look and adding some of the luxury seats mentioned earlier.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:04 pm

I hope that plans are being formulated and that the “ decision makers” do read or suggestions. I’ve lived thru 3 expansions and now all sides are different. We Can and should do better this time.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:25 pm

Beautify it if you want, but I love my East Side upper deck. The chain link fence keys the breeze blow, the stacked deck puts my seats closer to the field and while the ramps are an eyesore, it’s a helluva view to walk out during the game, look down in the lower East side and be perched above the action.

Plus, the best video of the Hail Mary and celebration was shout from the ramp above that end zone.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:27 pm

311neers wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:15 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:39 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:33 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:29 pm
Stadiums today are being built entirely like our brand new Eastside upper deck stands. Those things aren't going anywhere. When they were built over 10 years ago they cost almost 10 million dollars.
But according to so many they are “high school.” I don’t think they need to go unless the stadium gets a complete rebuild. If one of us had only won that billion dollar power ball.
It will be expensive but imagine if we could replace that whole side and along with regular seats add a bunch of suites as well. We could expand the press box seating on home side and add a ton of suites to the visitors side. We could also add some suites in the SEZ when they get rid of the hill. I wonder what the max seating is that we could add to the SEZ as well?
If they re-do east and west they need to move the stands way closer to the field now that the track is gone. That would create more room underneath the concourses.
I don’t know about “way” closer but definitely closer. And you’re right that it would add more room to the concourses, which is needed.
WE ARE YOSEF!

A2534

Unread post by A2534 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:36 pm

pop5app wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:04 pm
I hope that plans are being formulated and that the “ decision makers” do read or suggestions. I’ve lived thru 3 expansions and now all sides are different. We Can and should do better this time.
All it takes is money!

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:56 pm

Will some Mountaineer please win one of the Billion dollar lotteries and get this done already.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:58 pm

OK, don't ask me for details on the laws that govern State of NC/UNC Board of Governors finance because I'm neither a JD nor a CPA but there's a legal limit to what a state institution can borrow through state bonds. At one point in the not so distant past, App Athletics was close to its borrowing limit. As I recall that point was during Chancellor Peacock's administration. The Athletic Department makes annual payments toward retiring its bond debt. IIRC, the most recent bond was set for a 25 year payoff. There are likely others that are in various stages of payoff.

This thread is about spending millions and millions of dollars we do not have. I've heard mention of a seven-year, $100 million fund-raising effort for ASU Athletics. When/if that hits the fan, all manners of smelly stuff will fly. If/when it gets approval as a real-life campaign, we're gonna find out very quickly who's seriously in it to make it happen and who's just blowing smoke. $100 Mil is a lot of green cabbage! Get out your checkbooks or your plastic $$$$ cards.
Last edited by asu66 on Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:00 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by asu66 on Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:03 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Not that it would be a big loss but I'd quit donating in protest if they took the west side student seating away from them. The student seating set up behind the team is one of the things I love the most about our program. Could you imagine implementing the GS strategy and putting our fans behind the opposing bench? :lol:
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:06 pm

moonshine wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:03 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Not that it would be a big loss but I'd quit donating in protest if they took the west side student seating away from them. The student seating set up behind the team is one of the things I love the most about our program. Could you imagine implementing the GS strategy and putting our fans behind the opposing bench? :lol:
LaLa last year for championship game was a disaster..
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:12 pm

Just announced officially....both RM and ODU ..sold out

Only Ga St remains... impressive...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:24 pm

I would add concrete seat to the mountain (where the flower A is and around that mountain SEZ). I would not take down the hill and leave the area behind the scoreboard as is or bigger bathrooms. It would be relatively cheap and make those overflow seating. They would not be great seats but they would get you in the door. It would make existing seats worth paying a premium for and it would allow for the selling of tickets to bandwagon jumpers or p5 visitors.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:18 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:00 pm
My idea would be to build field level suites into the south endzone hill with stands above where the concrete open-air concourse is now. I spent hours on this photoshop....

#TeamIDon'tCareAboutTheHillAtAll

🍆
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

AppStMike201

Unread post by AppStMike201 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 pm

I'm in the construction industry and try to keep my finger on the pulse with the goings-on in Boone. I've caught wind of a roughly $14M plan that is being presented to the elite level donors right now. I have not seen renderings or any bid notices go out, but this was directly from the mouth of one of the elite level donors.

Sorry for not having more info but hopefully more info will be released in the near future.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:14 pm

There is a "conceptual plan" for the stadium and it includes some of what is mentioned above.I have not seen it but it has been described to me. Importantly, there are also in excess of $300,000,000 in other capital facility needs identified across campus , including Hickory. There is also a faculty faction of some size that opposes any focus , or spending on athletics.It is one of their grievances with the Administration.The other main ones being pay , the cost of housing and the use of carbon-based fuels.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:17 pm

Good grief. Tell that faction to move to Palo Alto or somewhere sheesh

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”