Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

On To The Next One - JMU Discussion

Seattleapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: On To The Next One - JMU Discussion

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:50 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:42 pm
ASU-FTW wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:33 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:30 am
Longrifle28 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:20 am
Doing a little research. We are definitely the more tested team playing two P-5's and a conference rival. However, the different rating systems have us barely as a favorite at home (espn App -8), (Sagarin App -3.5) and (Massey App -4.5).

After playing Norfolk State and Middle Tennessee State they are only allowing like 10 yards rushing per game and just over 100 yards passing per game. Their QB looks to be pretty dynamic and can run and throw. They appear to be pretty balanced passing/rushing. If they are legit, this game could get hairy. Hope we are ready....
We have definitely been more tested but I think many expected their game with MTSU to be close since there were unknowns. Their QB has been fantastic and after seeing him I can see why they throttled MTSU. JMU is very hungry for this win so I hope Shawn has been able to focus on this opponent without many distractions. The fact he did not see film on Troy until Wednesday is just not going to do it as the season goes on. I hope he is turning down all media this week because these requests will dry up anyway if we lose. All that matters is we get healthy and just win because JMU will be ready and everyone after them is going to give us their best shot.
Wait what?
If this is true it’s completely unacceptable. Get off the phones and camera and do your job. I know the coordinators were looking… but still.
Settle down 😂

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:51 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:48 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:41 pm
I don’t know why, but I feel better about this game than I did about Troy. There was way too much noise last week, I was so happy to escape with a W. Especially against what was perceived as a “weaker” opponent.

JMU is the real deal and if they beat us they deserve the accolade. And I think we will prep for them in that manner. But I have a weird feeling we are gonna beat the brakes off of them. Which is not something I feel too often.
I feel that the coaches and team will be better prepared and rested as well. My concern is I think we may be facing the best team we have faced so far. JmU will be prepared for sure. Hope we can manhandle them
Interested to know what you are basing this on. I feel like we have already faced the three best teams on our schedule.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:52 pm

Yosefus wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
I don’t know why, but I feel better about this game than I did about Troy. There was way too much noise last week, I was so happy to escape with a W. Especially against what was perceived as a “weaker” opponent.

JMU is the real deal and if they beat us they deserve the accolade. And I think we will prep for them in that manner. But I have a weird feeling we are gonna beat the brakes off of them. Which is not something I feel too often.
I feel that the coaches and team will be better prepared and rested as well. My concern is I think we may be facing the best team we have faced so far. JmU will be prepared for sure. Hope we can manhandle them
I 100% do not believe JMU is better than UNC A&M or Troy. Not saying they aren’t going to be a tough out but come on

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:55 pm

yosef69 wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Longrifle28 wrote:
Doing a little research. We are definitely the more tested team playing two P-5's and a conference rival. However, the different rating systems have us barely as a favorite at home (espn App -8), (Sagarin App -3.5) and (Massey App -4.5).

After playing Norfolk State and Middle Tennessee State they are only allowing like 10 yards rushing per game and just over 100 yards passing per game. Their QB looks to be pretty dynamic and can run and throw. They appear to be pretty balanced passing/rushing. If they are legit, this game could get hairy. Hope we are ready....
We have definitely been more tested but I think many expected their game with MTSU to be close since there were unknowns. Their QB has been fantastic and after seeing him I can see why they throttled MTSU. JMU is very hungry for this win so I hope Shawn has been able to focus on this opponent without many distractions. The fact he did not see film on Troy until Wednesday is just not going to do it as the season goes on. I hope he is turning down all media this week because these requests will dry up anyway if we lose. All that matters is we get healthy and just win because JMU will be ready and everyone after them is going to give us their best shot.
Wait what?
If this is true it’s completely unacceptable. Get off the phones and camera and do your job. I know the coordinators were looking… but still.
He said it in an interview yesterday on 99.9 the fan in Raleigh. Not passing judgement on what SC went though last week trying to balance 1000 things, just stating that he said it himself, not hearsay. I do agree with the OP, let's not do it again if at all possible.

I don't see a perfect storm of a top 6 win, blown plane tire, and Gameday in Boone happening again . . . we should be good.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:04 pm

yosef69 wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Longrifle28 wrote:

Wait what?
Shawn’s job duties also include being a direct representative for the school. He had 34 media request which is quite unusual on any given week. He isn’t in a position to turn them down. Geez!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:14 pm

I think the Coach will decide when, where, how and the amount of time on each when, where, how item....none of my business 😂

Just win baby...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:33 pm

yosef69 wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Longrifle28 wrote:

Wait what?
Coach Clark mentioned that in one of his post Troy pressers, he wasn't too proud of it but it happened. And actually, that is a big part of his job. The head coach is far more than just the coach. He is an ambassador for our school and program, a promoter, a fund raiser, as well as being available to alumni. He has so much more on his plate than just football and like it or not that is a very big part of the job. I think he handled the week very well and sounded good on every interview I heard. In the end, I am sure he learned something about time management and we got the win so it is all good.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:35 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Longrifle28 wrote:

Wait what?
Correct me if wrong but I believe I heard Clark say he did not see their film until Wednesday morning. Shawn was just talking about himself but still can't be proud of that. I remember what happened with Michigan and hoped he was just going to turn everything down except maybe 1-2 ESPN interviews so he could focus on the game. I guess that did not happen.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:44 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:04 pm
yosef69 wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Longrifle28 wrote:

Wait what?
Shawn’s job duties also include being a direct representative for the school. He had 34 media request which is quite unusual on any given week. He isn’t in a position to turn them down. Geez!
You can't turn them all down but I wondered how many he would take after seeing what happened with Jerry Moore after Michigan and how we struggled at times. Winning the conference and all your remaining games is more important than doing so many interviews. I wondered if perhaps he would limit to just College Game Day and doing Sports Center and College Football Live or if he would do more. You won't remember any of the media outside of a few ESPN spots but you sure will remember if we get worn down and fail to win the SBC title.

I'm glad we are back to more normal and hope now that we got all this early hype that he and the team is able to focus more on the actual games. The media can often hurt the very stories they are trying to cover by distraction. If ESPN really wants to highlight us and help us be that year long story then let us focus on games now. We will get all the media attention we need by winning games to move us up in the rankings and get picked for a big time bowl game. We needed what they did but now we just need to keep winning. Coaches and players are creatures of habit and the last couple weeks were hard. This is why I think we should look better against JMU this week but still am worried because they are good and they have had a bye week to prepare for us.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:46 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:52 pm
Yosefus wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

I 100% do not believe JMU is better than UNC A&M or Troy. Not saying they aren’t going to be a tough out but come on
We haven't played JMU, so while we can have opinions about where they rank versus our past opponents, we have no idea how good they are. We haven't played them in over a decade and they have only played 2 games in this season. Frankly, they haven't really played the caliber schedule that we have but, they were totally dominant in those games. I also find it hard to imagine with the teams left on our schedule someone could suggest that we already played the three best teams on it. I just know this is a team that is coming to town to try to prove that they are FBS ready.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:47 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:14 pm
I think the Coach will decide when, where, how and the amount of time on each when, where, how item....none of my business 😂

Just win baby...
Obviously he will and after seeing how all these interviews kept him from seeing Troy until Wednesday I would imagine maybe he manages a little differently so he can make sure that does not happen. I'm surprised he admitted that to an extent but glad he did because I don't think many people realize just how much those 3 games took a toll on the team mentally. We could have really used a bye week prior to Troy and the mental exhaustion and crazy schedule had us look flat and almost saw us lose a game. Now that we had this scare I feel a lot better as long as we can stay healthy. If we just win against JMU we only play 1 more game that should worry us before November.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:49 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:46 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Yosefus wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

We haven't played JMU, so while we can have opinions about where they rank versus our past opponents, we have no idea how good they are. We haven't played them in over a decade and they have only played 2 games in this season. Frankly, they haven't really played the caliber schedule that we have but, they were totally dominant in those games. I also find it hard to imagine with the teams left on our schedule someone could suggest that we already played the three best teams on it. I just know this is a team that is coming to town to try to prove that they are FBS ready.
I agree with you but I’m having a hard time saying JMU is better than A&M

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:52 pm

hapapp wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
Yosefus wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

I feel like we probably have played the best team on our schedule but definitely hard to say we have played the top 3 this early. We will know by November 1 how these early opponents really look. A&M could go 9-3 or 10-2 or end up 6-6 or 5-7. You never know.

JMU is definitely coming to town hungry not just to prove what you said but to get a huge win early in their FBS era. Beating the defending East champions and knocking off a team in the polls would be big for them. This is a must win game for us so our backs aren't against the wall. I hate having to depend on another team to lose a game for us to play for a title. Controlling our own destiny is the best feeling and as long as we win out in the SBC we control our destiny.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:53 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:49 pm
hapapp wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
Yosefus wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

I don't think they are but if you believe we can't lose to them because they aren't as good then you are going by transitive property in a way and you just can't do that. We have lost to teams that we beat by a team we won against. A lot of factors can dictate games so just because we were to lose to JMU I would not necessarily say that means JMU would beat A&M either.

Yosef1986

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:58 pm

This is nothing more than time management. SC will live and learn. As my career took off - I myself learned a hard lesson on time management. It is part of the App State growth - both school and sports. App and SC will rise to the new level of expectations.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:05 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:53 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:49 pm
hapapp wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
Yosefus wrote:

I don't think they are but if you believe we can't lose to them because they aren't as good then you are going by transitive property in a way and you just can't do that. We have lost to teams that we beat by a team we won against. A lot of factors can dictate games so just because we were to lose to JMU I would not necessarily say that means JMU would beat A&M either.
Agree 100%

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:40 pm

Ever since the announcement of the new teams joining the Belt, I've seen posts declaring JMU would have to develop for a few years before they were a factor. I never believed that was true. I'm not claiming they are going to be dominant, but I absolutely think they will compete in every game they play. JMU has a culture of winning very much like ours. That said, App is the better team and if we play our "A" game we win the game. If we sputter and whif on tackles, the Dukes will be very dangerous. They aren't coming to lay down for anybody. I'm looking forward to a great game. There are no gimme games this year in the Belt

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:50 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:40 pm
Ever since the announcement of the new teams joining the Belt, I've seen posts declaring JMU would have to develop for a few years before they were a factor. I never believed that was true. I'm not claiming they are going to be dominant, but I absolutely think they will compete in every game they play. JMU has a culture of winning very much like ours. That said, App is the better team and if we play our "A" game we win the game. If we sputter and whif on tackles, the Dukes will be very dangerous. They aren't coming to lay down for anybody. I'm looking forward to a great game. There are no gimme games this year in the Belt
Agreed and people have to remember that they are technically in year two of transition because they were well above 63 scholarships due to the super senior rule. JMU is a better team at this point in transition than we were most likely. They are definitely going to be a factor in the SBC.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:02 pm

Can someone on this board raise their hand if they think JMU will go down easy and aren’t going to give us everything they have, including a helluva of a fight?

I have not seen anyone say that yet several posters keep implying folks think that way. I don’t think any App fan with any sense believes that.

I expect a dogfight but we better be prepared. I think we will and think we prevail.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:10 pm

JMU are better than the Carolina Panthers
YNWA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”