Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

On To The Next One - JMU Discussion

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
School: Appalachian State

On To The Next One - JMU Discussion

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:42 am

Yesterday was absolutely amazing. College GameDay in town, I'm sure the tailgating scene was exceptional, per usual, and while I would have liked to win in a much easier fashion, a win is a win. Now, it's on to the next one.

I've been keeping an eye on JMU this season (mainly because I live near Harrisonburg and it's featured on the news), and while they haven't played anyone close to who we've faced (MTSU & Norfolk State) their style of play is something to be on the lookout for this week.

They did not have a game yesterday, which could be a good thing or a bad thing. Personally I've never been a fan of bye weeks early in the season, because I feel players need the reps, but extra time to prepare and seeing the game yesterday to self-scout could work out in their favor.

Hard to tell if they're a legit team or not, because I don't think they've faced an opponent comparable to who we've faced. What I do know though is their QB is pretty good, they like to spread it out, and from what I've seen their line gave enough time to allow the QB to pick apart zone coverage. What concerns me about this game is the schemes we've seen called by Dale Jones so far this season. Allowing over 60 points at the rock is not App State football. I can't really judge the A&M game because our offense put together lengthy drives. Defense definitely stepped up when they had to, but weren't on the field for really that long. Then yesterday was a rough first half. Got a little better in the second half, but still seeing some things that are concerning from our defense. Silver lining is those things are fixable. It's not like we have an issue that when we look back in December, we can't see progress. It will get better.

JMU is very happy to be in the Sun Belt, and I've heard a few people in town including the bartender at Macado in Harrisonburg last night tell me, he can't wait to see JMU play App State next weekend. He said their spot is planning to be packed with students and such to watch the game. They've been fortunate to have the benefit of an easier schedule and home cooking the first two games. Now they come to Boone, where The Rock will be rocking, and the momentum is definitely in our favor. I'm sure SC is telling them again today like he did probably after yesterday's win, great victory but now it's on to the next one. Everyone is aiming for App State, and we will have to be ready each and every week.

Would love to hear some of your thoughts as well.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Bootsy

Re: On To The Next One

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:51 am

We've seen multiple instances in the past where our OC/DC call plays based on who is/isn't on the field and what gives us the best chance to win.

Yesterday, DJ left us in a base scheme for much of the game because we're down some key starters at linebacker and safety. App's secondary played a good deal zone and gave Troy more cushion to negate the big play.

My concern is still the lack of communication on defense and the poor tackling we saw yesterday, of which the latter is something we rarely see in Boone. Keep in mind: there are some young'uns on the field in our defensive scheme. It is frustrating, but there has to be some patience while they learn schemes, optimizing assignments, communication and yes, better tackling.

Nobody knows this more than Coach Clark, DJ and the staff.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:54 am

I'd guess JMU should be glad we got our magical moment yesterday since they were a victim of it the last time we played them at The Rock when they fumbled away a win.
BLACK SATURDAY

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:08 am

JMU is good. Good teams demolish bad teams. JMU has done that. They have a history of winning. I get it has been FCS, however a winning culture is a winning culture. JMU is the best team we will face so far on our schedule because we play them this week. Let's Go 1-0 this week.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:53 pm

It's APP -7 as per Draftkings
BLACK SATURDAY

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:06 pm

JMU fans on their board are fully expecting their team to come down and punch App right in the mouth. None of that we're happy to be in the Sun Belt stuff.

This is gonna be a gnawing on the fingernails type of week in anticipation.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:21 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:53 pm
It's APP -7 as per Draftkings
The Duke Dawgs would like nothing better than to burst our bubble on our turf. They'll be well-prepared and decked out in that hated PURPLE. Our team had better have answers for everything they throw at us.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:23 pm

Yes, I'd love us to pitch a shut out so we don't see them litter with those dang streamers, kind of like we kept stAte from lighting up their waterfall a few years ago...

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:05 pm

appsfan wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:23 pm
Yes, I'd love us to pitch a shut out so we don't see them litter with those dang streamers, kind of like we kept stAte from lighting up their waterfall a few years ago...
I'm with you. Those streamers are aggravating to clean up I'm sure and you know it is a bad sign when they start throwing them. I read their board and for some reason they seem salty about our publicity and accusing us of thinking we are basically as good as Alabama but we know JMU is a worthy opponent. I'm actually glad our team got a huge scare because they will definitely be focused on JMU this week. I know we have issues to fix and injuries but I feel like we will be able to get more rest and have a more normal week so that should help. If we can just get the win over JMU we should be fine with two easier opponents and a bye week. We still need to prepare hard but as long as we don't see more injuries and don't make mistakes we should be fine.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:08 pm

The average roller coaster ride is 2-3 minutes. We've been on one for three hours and counting......

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:11 pm

JMU is just a northern version of GASO. Tough team that hates our guts. It doesn't matter how good or bad GASO or JMU is , we always get a thought game from them. In looking at box scores they appear to have a good QB (I have not seen him play just looked at stats). He does have a 66% ratio... Hes not as good as Troy's QB and def nowhere close to Maye....but could give us fits. As long as we can convert one turnover.... I do think JMU is a better team than Troy. Maybe I'm wrong but we shall see in a few days.

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:13 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:05 pm
I read their board and for some reason they seem salty about our publicity and accusing us of thinking we are basically as good as Alabama but we know JMU is a worthy opponent.
It's really weird as they're rocking a major inferiority complex.. by basically their own doing. I've certainly not seen anyone associated with or App fans dismissing the Dukes. I think we were all glad they're in the SB and recognize they're a really good program.

This game scares the hell out of me.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:18 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:51 am
We've seen multiple instances in the past where our OC/DC call plays based on who is/isn't on the field and what gives us the best chance to win.

Yesterday, DJ left us in a base scheme for much of the game because we're down some key starters at linebacker and safety. App's secondary played a good deal zone and gave Troy more cushion to negate the big play.

My concern is still the lack of communication on defense and the poor tackling we saw yesterday, of which the latter is something we rarely see in Boone. Keep in mind: there are some young'uns on the field in our defensive scheme. It is frustrating, but there has to be some patience while they learn schemes, optimizing assignments, communication and yes, better tackling.

Without calling names, there is a certain safety who missed multiple tackles during a key stretch yesterday who I remember doing some of the same last year. He was in position to make the plays, just didn’t wrap up and follow through enough. I assume we’re thin at free safety if there’s nobody else to step in and perform at a higher level, or the coaches have complete faith and he just underperforms in games.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:28 pm

RankinApp wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:13 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:05 pm
I read their board and for some reason they seem salty about our publicity and accusing us of thinking we are basically as good as Alabama but we know JMU is a worthy opponent.
It's really weird as they're rocking a major inferiority complex.. by basically their own doing. I've certainly not seen anyone associated with or App fans dismissing the Dukes. I think we were all glad they're in the SB and recognize they're a really good program.

This game scares the hell out of me.
It is weird because we have a lot of respect for them and were one of the schools who fought to get them in our league. They had turned their nose up at the SBC before and with how the landscape changed they became desperate to move up and wanted the Sun Belt over CUSA big time. App, ODU, and Marshall were big supporters of adding them. We know they are a stout program and are not going to overlook them. We might have a couple idiots who trash talk about them but 99% of our fans that are not students will 100% respect them and know they are going to be dangerous in the Sun Belt.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:33 pm

JMU is not coming into our house in their transition year and beating us.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:03 pm

app97 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:18 pm
Bootsy wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:51 am

Without calling names, there is a certain safety who missed multiple tackles during a key stretch yesterday who I remember doing some of the same last year. He was in position to make the plays, just didn’t wrap up and follow through enough. I assume we’re thin at free safety if there’s nobody else to step in and perform at a higher level, or the coaches have complete faith and he just underperforms in games.
The coaching staff is playing the hand they've been dealt. It happens, even though we don't like it very much.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:02 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:33 pm
JMU is not coming into our house in their transition year and beating us.
We hope not. They are not a typical transition team. Remember that the league and NCAA granted them an exception to be classified in year 2 of transition because they already had close to 85 scholarship players due to COVID. They have a good QB and are a FBS caliber roster for most part. They went 12-2 last year losing to NDSU in the semi-finals. They are probably the most talented team in FBS transition in a long time. Their roster is better than ours was when we were in our first year up.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:18 pm

The bullseye is clearly on our back. I wouldn't want it any other way.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:20 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:08 pm
The average roller coaster ride is 2-3 minutes. We've been on one for three hours and counting......
Three hours? Try three weeks.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:11 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:18 pm
The bullseye is clearly on our back. I wouldn't want it any other way.
Yep. It means we’re good enough to earn it.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”