Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNC Football ticket allotment

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

Re: UNC Football ticket allotment

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:06 am

Did we get parking with our allotment in Chapel Hill?
Last edited by appgrad95&97 on Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:08 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:30 pm
We’ve had 30k for many games. I’m sure those highly educated folks from the hill are smart enough to figure it out.

Why are we acting like we owe these visiting fans something we’ve not offered others.

My goodness.
Seriously, why are some on here so worried about how things will “look” to those jackasses from Chapel Hell. I could care less if they are “impressed” or “approve” of our parking situation. Beat their ass on the field and send them home. Who cares where they park or how they get there. We’ve hosted plenty of games with 30k+, and our fans didn’t stress over how the parking situation looked to the visiting fans.

I’ll agree... my goodness.

GO APPS!!

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:43 am

It’s a legitimate concern not only for the UNC game which will be a zoo, but also for all the Yosef club members who didn’t get parking for the season. One of my daughters is a UNC grad and the games I went to while she was in school I did park and ride from Friday center or that lot on 54. I’m not sure we have lots anywhere to accommodate the problem that exists.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:50 am

Can you park at the mall and take the Appalcart to Rivers Street?

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:36 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:30 pm
We’ve had 30k for many games. I’m sure those highly educated folks from the hill are smart enough to figure it out.

Why are we acting like we owe these visiting fans something we’ve not offered others.

My goodness.
We would do it for organization. When Miami came to town, we had cars driving through tailgating areas looking for a place to park (Yes, they shouldn't have made it past the pass checkpoints, but it happened). So, if the Visitors (do this for any sellout) are set up in a space outside of Boone and bused in (they do this in Chapel Hill for weeknight games and Coastal runs buses from outlying lots), that leaves downtown Boone (including the pay lots) for the other 27,000 and it keeps 800-1000 cars out of the downtown congestion vs. the traffic of a few buses. Obviously, some of our single-game ticket fans may take advantage of this as well, so this extends beyond the visitors.
Charge $5 or $10 a car and you cover your expenses.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:47 am

I figured out all by myself how to get parking at The UNC game. I’m sure the attendees can figure out something. I’m not concerned in the least.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:11 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:47 am
I figured out all by myself how to get parking at The UNC game. I’m sure the attendees can figure out something. I’m not concerned in the least.
And that's why it will be a cluster: You planned and put the time and effort into it. Most will not. Many will drive into town (expecting to see a sign for Game Day Parking which happens at most events these days) and the chaos will ensue (just like it did for the Luke Combs concert). Add in the Noon Kickoff and many arriving with 1-2 hours of kickoff......

That's why offering a Remote Lot to Visitors and Single-Game Ticket Holders should be part of our Game Day Planning and is not a bad thing to do.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:13 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:50 am
Can you park at the mall and take the Appalcart to Rivers Street?
https://www.appalcart.com/game-day-routes

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:03 am

I'm guessing they are trying to get to as close to 40k as they can. I hate I can't make the game, but if I was going without a parking pass I probably wouldn't show up past 6:30am to find parking.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:19 am

biggie wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:03 am
I'm guessing they are trying to get to as close to 40k as they can. I hate I can't make the game, but if I was going without a parking pass I probably wouldn't show up past 6:30am to find parking.
That's what I recommended to a guy who lives in my neighborhood going to the game. I told him I wouldn't get there past 7am if he's trying to find parking anywhere within 2 miles of the stadium. It's going to be willllddddd.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:51 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:06 am
They had plenty of park and ride lots around the perimeter of Carrboro and Chapel. It was well done to be honest. And parking and the bus ride in and out was free at that, or maybe I did pay a few dollars. I know the last time App played UNC-CHeat my sister and I paid to park at the mall and ride a bus in if I remember correctly. And this is not just for the UNC fans but for EVERYONE, including App fans. Even a $10 charge for parking and bus ride would be good with me (though bus fare is zero in Boone as it is in Chapel Hill.) I would make an exception for football games.

Would parking in the big field in Vale Crucis be doable? Park at the new WHS for at least some spots. My gut tells me WHS is not being used every Saturday during the fall. And there are elementary schools with some parking around the county. That is a short ride and then give a few dollars to the school system to help them at as thanks and the rest can go to App athletics. Lease a bus load or two of spots at the Mall. Is there a big field we could lease out near Deep Gap for parking (Parkway Elementary has some parking for some coming up 421.)

We need bus drivers for this but pay them double time if need be. I bet App could still turn a profit on this or at least break even even with driver pay, land rental, and bus costs. We don't need 35,000 spots in total and we already have some off-site locations such as the local churches and home owners to a lesser extent. But having a few spots that one knows will be available can not be a bad thing.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:54 am

I did see that someone posted on their message board about the mall and appalcart sched.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:09 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:51 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
They had plenty of park and ride lots around the perimeter of Carrboro and Chapel. It was well done to be honest. And parking and the bus ride in and out was free at that, or maybe I did pay a few dollars. I know the last time App played UNC-CHeat my sister and I paid to park at the mall and ride a bus in if I remember correctly. And this is not just for the UNC fans but for EVERYONE, including App fans. Even a $10 charge for parking and bus ride would be good with me (though bus fare is zero in Boone as it is in Chapel Hill.) I would make an exception for football games.

Would parking in the big field in Vale Crucis be doable? Park at the new WHS for at least some spots. My gut tells me WHS is not being used every Saturday during the fall. And there are elementary schools with some parking around the county. That is a short ride and then give a few dollars to the school system to help them at as thanks and the rest can go to App athletics. Lease a bus load or two of spots at the Mall. Is there a big field we could lease out near Deep Gap for parking (Parkway Elementary has some parking for some coming up 421.)

We need bus drivers for this but pay them double time if need be. I bet App could still turn a profit on this or at least break even even with driver pay, land rental, and bus costs. We don't need 35,000 spots in total and we already have some off-site locations such as the local churches and home owners to a lesser extent. But having a few spots that one knows will be available can not be a bad thing.
Appalcart system is not designed for this type of volume. It can't handle the existing route volume on game days much less having the ability to add high volume routes for special game day lots. The athletic department would need to contract with an outside vendor for this transportation that is if an available parking lot is secured and contracted for use.

It would seem as though parking at several Watauga County schools could be negotiated. I guess the problem is paying for this. Currently the athletic department relies on student and faculty parking fees to pay for parking decks and such for use on game days. It would seem that with increased season ticket sales and therefore increased Yosef Club members that the expensive of paying school system, busing company and parking attendants could be allocated out of the increased revenue.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:20 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:09 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:51 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:

Appalcart system is not designed for this type of volume. It can't handle the existing route volume on game days much less having the ability to add high volume routes for special game day lots. The athletic department would need to contract with an outside vendor for this transportation that is if an available parking lot is secured and contracted for use.
They have a few larger buses as I have been on them, though the question would be do they have enough large buses to work this AND maintain the regular routes, but you make a valid point. I am not even sure how many spare buses they have but they must have a few. I wonder where the nearest charter bus is located. Newton has Holiday Tours, though that option is going to be more expensive than ApplaCart. Any charter buses in Wilkesboro? Sunway Buses has some operations out of Winston and they are the company that runs both Mountaineer Express Routes.

It would be nice to see the numbers on what this would cost versus what money could be raised.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:23 am

I agree with the statement above. In the past, we have been fortunate to get parking on one of the lots of king street and walk. For this game, people are going to have to be parking well away from stadium. If the athletics department is trying to make this the best fan experience and it overall positive, whether it is larger buses like appalcart or worse case scenario Watauga school system buses, they should ensure the got buses for shuttles.
For parking, not sure if the mall parking lot is available for parking, they should see if the can rent for a day...just a hypothetical example . I get it is not entirely athletics dept responsibility to get fans to game...but they are an important component of the equation. It would be bad if some fans are parked at high school (as an example) and miss kickoff because of traffic back ups.
Overall, I hope we continue to have P5 opponents coming to Boone.... hopefully the athletics dept is thinking about these types of things
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:26 am

I just perused their message board. It truly is amazing how we beat them literally 3 years ago and most on their board are still talking about how they don't understand why they're playing us because it's beneath them.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:28 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:23 am
I agree with the statement above. In the past, we have been fortunate to get parking on one of the lots of king street and walk. For this game, people are going to have to be parking well away from stadium. If the athletics department is trying to make this the best fan experience and it overall positive, whether it is larger uses like appalcart or worse case scenario Watauga school system buses, they should ensure the got buses for shuttles.
For parking, not sure if the mall parking lot is available for parking, they should see if the can rent for a day...just a hypothetical example . I get it is not entirely athletics deot responsibility to get fans to game...but they are an important component of the equation. It would be bad if some fans are parked at high school (as an example) and miss kickoff because of traffic back ups.
Overall, I hope we continue to have P5 opponents coming to Boone.... hopefully the athletics dept is thinking about these types of things
It is important to get this right. It shouldn't be a situation where people are just to fend for themselves given the potential size of the crowd. Let's face it there are few times that the opposing team will bring 3000+ fans to Boone. If we want to convince others to come to Boone to play us, we can't afford a bad look. So, yes it does matter how it appears. We can either appear rinky dink or like we have things under control and are prepared for the largest football crowd to hit Boone.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:30 am

I missed tip off for the UNC-App hoops game this past year due to buses being extremely slow (got to bus lot 45 minutes to tip, 5 minutes from Arena).

Could honestly care less if traveling fans struggle to find parking and miss kick off.

ASU843

Unread post by ASU843 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:35 am

I am concerned that fans of any school coming to the game will have difficulty parking. The game day experience should be a positive experience for UNC fans as well as others including our own fans visiting our campus and town. Hopefully a solid plan is being put together by our AD with imput from the town police, highway patrol, app state officials, etc. Since it is Labor Day weekend, some of the local schools parking lots should be empty. A successful event will hopefully allow us to host more P5 teams in the future. I believe the addition of Marshall, ODU and James Madison will increase our visiting attendance. The Citadel travels very well.This should be a banner year for visiting fans. Hopefully we will manage it well.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:41 am

HurricaneYosef wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:30 am
I missed tip off for the UNC-App hoops game this past year due to buses being extremely slow (got to bus lot 45 minutes to tip, 5 minutes from Arena).

Could honestly care less if traveling fans struggle to find parking and miss kick off.
I think you are in the minority. And will likely change your mind if you find out the word gets around we can't handle a big game. This can matter in scheduling if a large part of a schools fan base that has influence has the ear of the AD. Why give them an excuse for not playing us , they are already looking for reasons to duck the G5 schools in the state. That does not mean we let them park on Stadium Drive, but we need to have infrastructure in place. And that infrastructure helps App fans as well. I have no desire to spite a visiting fan base and I certainly have no desire to spite a visiting fan base if it makes my life harder getting to KBS.

Even dedicated fans with season tickets don't have parking for this game beyond hoping for the best. Not a good look to be honest.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”