Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM SUN BELT COMMISSIONER KEITH GILL’S STATE OF THE CONFERENCE ADDRESS

TheMoody1
School: Appalachian State

KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM SUN BELT COMMISSIONER KEITH GILL’S STATE OF THE CONFERENCE ADDRESS

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:22 am

https://www.hubcityspokes.com/collegeun ... oCEjy.dpbs

Gill even expressed the possibility of the Sun Belt growing to as many as 20 teams.

"I wouldn't take anything off the table," Gill said. "We are not looking at a number. We are looking at value.

appgrad95&97

Re: KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM SUN BELT COMMISSIONER KEITH GILL’S STATE OF THE CONFERENCE ADDRESS

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:29 am

But who. Who realistically, at this point, would leave their current conference and make the Sun Belt better?

TheMoody1

Re: KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM SUN BELT COMMISSIONER KEITH GILL’S STATE OF THE CONFERENCE ADDRESS

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:41 am

A few years down the road, depending on how things shake out, ECU and Memphis would be a couple that would make the Sun Belt better.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:44 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:41 am
A few years down the road, depending on how things shake out, ECU and Memphis would be a couple that would make the Sun Belt better.
Sure, so would UAB and South Florida. But why would they leave the AAC?

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:45 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:29 am
But who. Who realistically, at this point, would leave their current conference and make the Sun Belt better?
I read it as a generic comment that commissioners make in the current environment to express that they're not going to leave any doors closed to improve the conference. I don't think anyone is actively pushing to add more schools to SBC before we even start the season with the new four.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:49 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:44 pm
TheMoody1 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:41 am
Sure, so would UAB and South Florida. But why would they leave the AAC?
Have you seen the new AAC schools? UAB, FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice and UTSA. lol

This would all happen down the road when the AAC TV money looks about the same as the Sun Belt.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:51 pm

There are only a few schools that the Sunbelt could add that would make any sense given the fact that you want public schools with passionate fan bases like ECU. Most just do not have those kinds of fan bases. Just ask JMU about the Colonial.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:56 pm

I think the point Gill was making was more that, IF the situation were to materialize that would benefit the SunBelt, he would be open to it. I like the way he is handling this in that he isn't trying to force anything into a pre-determined mold. He is ignoring the ridiculous "markets" approach and focusing on the factors that actually make sense: Collecting like-minded schools within a geographic footprint. He is building efficiency, competition and rivalries. It's almost like he listens to people who have some sense! Thank you, Keith Gill!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:06 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:29 am
If the SB office is more compliant and bendable by the standards and needs of ESPN, compared to a Aresco-led AAC then the the lord of CFB, ESPN, can move some schools around and make it worth the existing school's and moving school's benefit.

I am not sure we are ESPN's bitch, right now, but we might end up playing that role well enough that ESPN works with us in a positive manner down the road.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:15 pm

I think his comment was squarely pointed at Greenville, NC. Fans on message boards will tell you ECU is too big and too important to join the Sun Belt...and while that might currently be true, what fans on message boards think and say is irrelevant. I can promise you ECU's president and AD are looking at all possibilities and eventualities. I can promise you they've had conversations that sound like "man this new AAC is not what we signed up for...our fans aren't happy, it's all the universities we tried to get away from, and none of these fan bases will buy tickets in Greenville".

They know that the money *right now* isn't right to make a move, but they're discussing "what if's"...

What if our media deal tanks and we're no longer getting the $7 million (avg) payout?
What if it falls back to about $3 million/yr?
What if our average attendance drops another 3 seasons in a row?
What if the Sun Belt keeps improving and raises its payout to $2.5, 3, 3.5 million over the next 5 years?
What if the Sun Belt gets an offer in principal to raise its per-school payout to $4.5 million if we (ECU) joined?
What if we could get out of the AAC without paying the entire exit fee?
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:28 pm

Whether their fans like it or not, ECU and the Sun Belt works. Strong regional mates versus lengthy travel to AAC opponents. Baseball is probably just as strong if not stronger. The AAC is replacing Cincy, Houston, and UCF with teams picked to finish in the middle and bottom of the pack in CUSA. When the media money levels out, they will be open to conversations as Diesel stated.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:41 pm

If the Sun Belt shows out on the field, in the stands, and in the ratings for 5 more years ECU's administration will have to think really hard about making a move.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:42 pm

There was interest in Greenville , and Raleigh , regarding EZU and the Sunbelt , but not enough to pull the trigger when we expanded as I understand it.The issues pro and con are outlined above .I would think the door will remain open , at least for the foreseeable future.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:12 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:56 pm
I think the point Gill was making was more that, IF the situation were to materialize that would benefit the SunBelt, he would be open to it. I like the way he is handling this in that he isn't trying to force anything into a pre-determined mold. He is ignoring the ridiculous "markets" approach and focusing on the factors that actually make sense: Collecting like-minded schools within a geographic footprint. He is building efficiency, competition and rivalries. It's almost like he listens to people who have some sense! Thank you, Keith Gill!
He reads Yosef's Cabin everyday.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:14 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:15 pm
I think his comment was squarely pointed at Greenville, NC. Fans on message boards will tell you ECU is too big and too important to join the Sun Belt...and while that might currently be true, what fans on message boards think and say is irrelevant. I can promise you ECU's president and AD are looking at all possibilities and eventualities. I can promise you they've had conversations that sound like "man this new AAC is not what we signed up for...our fans aren't happy, it's all the universities we tried to get away from, and none of these fan bases will buy tickets in Greenville".

They know that the money *right now* isn't right to make a move, but they're discussing "what if's"...

What if our media deal tanks and we're no longer getting the $7 million (avg) payout?
What if it falls back to about $3 million/yr?
What if our average attendance drops another 3 seasons in a row?
What if the Sun Belt keeps improving and raises its payout to $2.5, 3, 3.5 million over the next 5 years?
What if the Sun Belt gets an offer in principal to raise its per-school payout to $4.5 million if we (ECU) joined?
What if we could get out of the AAC without paying the entire exit fee?
JMU did not join the Sunbelt when it first had the chance, but here they are now.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:30 pm

I'd pop on and read the JMU CSN board from time to time 2 or 3 years ago. Most of their fans liked the idea of being in a conference with App and GS but didn't like where the conference was as a whole. They didn't see the value at first, but given time they came around and love being here now.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:31 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:42 pm
There was interest in Greenville , and Raleigh , regarding EZU and the Sunbelt , but not enough to pull the trigger when we expanded as I understand it.The issues pro and con are outlined above .I would think the door will remain open , at least for the foreseeable future.
I would think the door never closes for ECU. They bring value and would fit in our league now.

I just hope JMU is only FCS school we approach. I feel like the others who have value like NDSU, SDSU, Montana are all in the MWC or MAC footprint. I wonder if MAC or MWC has interest though?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:37 pm

I don't believe that we approached JMU.But yes , at least under foreseeable circumstances EZU brings value .Have no clue about the MAC or MWC.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:08 pm

On the other side...winning can motivate a fan base. ECU should walk the dog in the new AAC. A good OOC could get them ranked again. It has been a while since being ranked. My question would be.....no fans from teams in conference or from not winning???

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:33 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that the teams elevate the conference, the conference does not elevate the teams.

Just like some people spend their entire life chasing rainbows, others make their pot of gold where they are. I believe the teams that left the Sunbelt before Georgia Southern and Appalachian were just chasing rainbows and are still chasing rainbows.

I bet those same conferences that passed on Georgia Southern and especially Appalachian are kicking themselves now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”