Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Transfer Portal Watch

HurricaneYosef
School: Appalachian State

Re: Transfer Portal Watch

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Sat May 07, 2022 4:32 pm

Boykin is the exact kind of addition we need with the loss of Forrest and Almonacy at the guard spot. Looking forward to our next additions!

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Sat May 07, 2022 6:12 pm

Updated thread, watch list is smaller. Added the following for each Sun Belt squad:

South Alabama and Georgia State look like the biggest winners so far. Louisiana, Troy and Arky State biggest losers. Old Dominion and Coastal have tons of movement but they both look to just be restocking what they are losing.

SUN BELT WATCH:

Appalachian State:
Additions: Tyree Boykin (Union D2)
Departures: Sasha Glushkov (TBD), R.J. Duhart (TBD)

Arkansas State:
Additions: Alaaeddine Boutayeb (Florida St) Mak Manciel (Henry Ford JuCo)
Departures: Norchad Omier (Miami), Keyon Wesley (Alabama St), Desi Sills (TBD), Mario Fantina (Arkansas–Monticello), Lazar Grbović (TBD)

Norchad is the biggest loss in the conference, 2nd straight year the Sun Belt POTY goes to a successful HM program (Devanta Jones went from Coastal to Michigan last year). Desi Sills is a tough loss, the Arkansas transfer averaged 13 ppg last year. Wesley another key loss, started 40/51 games the last 2 years. I don't know what their 2022 freshman class looks like, but I can imagine they are looking at a rough 22-23 season unless they make some late transfer additions. Boutayeb is a 7 foot 2 center from Morocco, his length will provide some challenges in the Sun Belt. Manciel is a solid pick up,15 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.7 assists 41% 3P.

Coastal Carolina:
Additions: Jomaru Brown (EKU), Antonio Daye, Jr. (Fordham), Jimmy Nichols, Jr. (VCU), Taj Thweatt (West Virginia)
Departures: Ebrima Dibba (South Carolina), DeAnthony Tipler (ETSU), Rudi Williams (BYU), DeShawn Thomas (TBD),
Isaac Hippolyte (TBD), Kevin Williamson (TBD), Jourdan Smith (Grambling State), Ahmard Harvey (High Point)

Coastal was good last year, but is losing some serious key pieces from last year. Dibba was their glue guy point forward who did a little bit of everything. Williams was a 15 ppg transfer from Kansas State. Tipler DNP in 2022 but was a 13 ppg scorer in 2021. Thomas and Hippolyte were athletic rotational frontcourt players.

They do have some GOOD transfer pieces coming in: Antonio Daye is a BIG TIME pick up. He tallied 16.8 ppg (1200+ career pts) 3.6 rpg 3.3 apg 1.4 spg last year at Fordham and has started 84/101 games in his career. Jomaru Brown scored 1400+ points at EKU, 12.2 ppg last year. Nichols and Thweatt long rangey athletes that can fill in for the lost production of Thomas/Hippolyte/Dibba.

Summary, losing tons of key guys...but their replacements might be even better. Will all depend on how well they mesh and develop chemistry.

Georgia State:
Additions: Dwon Odom (Xavier), Brenden Tucker (CofC), Jamaine Mann (Vanderbilt)
Departures: Jalen Thomas (Butler), Jordan Rawls (WKU), Nelson Phillips (TBD), Chien-Hao Ma. (TBD)

Thomas, Rawls, and Phillips are all losses that aren't of serious impact, especially with the replacements they have coming in via the portal.

As stated before Odom is a big time addition to the conference. He tallied 6.4 ppg and 2.5 apg in 2 years and was a 4 star top 60 recruit in the 2020 class. Tucker is a former 3 star top 350 recruit who averaged 11.2 ppg on 38% 3P shooting off the bench for CofC this year. Mann is a former 3 star Top 400 recruit, 4.6 ppg 3.5 rpg off bench for Vandy last year.

Georgia Southern:
Additions: Tai Strickland (Temple), Jalen Finch (Jacksonville St)
Departures: Elijah McCadden (Memphis), Gedi Juozapaitis (Maine)

McCadden and Gedi are big time losses for a team that struggled last year. Strickland has potential to break out for GaSo after a promising year with Temple (8.2 ppg off the bench). Finch is a quality grad transfer addition who tallied 10 ppg 4.5 apg and 38% 3P shooting in 2 years with Jacksonville St.

Louisiana:
Additions: NONE
Departures: Theo Akwuba (Ole Miss), Ty Harper (E. Washington), Trajan Wesley (TBD)

Louisiana has been shockingly quiet on the transfer addition side of things so far, they are usually always in the mix for transfer additions given their location and facilities. Theo Akwuba is a major loss, the former DPOTY is heading to Ole Miss. Ty Harper didn't play much as a freshman (2 ppg), but was a 4 star recruit out of HS and was a major pick up for them last recruiting cycle. 2 big time losses, with no additions so far

Louisiana Monroe:
Additions: Tyreke Locure (S. Alabama), AD Diedhiou (UAB)
Departures: Russell Harrison (TBD), Trey Boston (TBD), D'Marcus Hall (TBD)

Harrison and Boston are tough losses for ULM. Harrison was a 13 ppg scorer and one of their best players. Boston was a former JuCo standout who put up 10 ppg in the 9 games he played for ULM. Hall did not play much for ULM. They do add a familiar face in Tyreke Locure, the former Jaguar did not play for UAB this past season due to injury, but averaged 13.5 ppg and 3.1 apg the year prior for USA. AD Diedhiou is a long athletic big man from the Senegal who is also transferring to ULM from UAB. Did not play much for UAB, in JuCo he averaged 6 ppg 5 rpg and 1 bpg.

Troy:
Additions: Aamer Muhammad (Lubbock Christian)
Departures: Duke Deen (Bradley), Desmond Williams (UT Martin), Jakevan Leftridge (TBD), Rifen Miguel (TBD), Efe Odigie (TBD)

Duke Deen was the Sun Belt Freshman of the Year and is off to Bradley after 1 year in the Sun Belt, a tough loss for Troy. Desmond Williams is another tough loss as well has he started 60/84 games in 3 years at Troy (7.6 ppg). Efe Odigie was their starting center putting up 11.5 ppg and 6.7 rpg, another key loss for the Trojans. Leftridge and Miguel were just bench guys for Troy.

They have added Aamer Muhammad who was an efficient scorer for Lubbock Christian: 15.4 ppg 2.7 apg 50% FG /81% FT/ 36% 3P. They will likely be adding more via the portal if I had to guess.

South Alabama:
Additions: Kevin Samuel (FGCU), Isaiah Moore (Franklin Pierce D2), Owen White (Michigan Tech D2), Elijah Ormiston (Concordia St. Paul D2)
Departures: Javon Franklin (TBD), Jamal West (TBD), Andrew Anderson (TBD), Alex Anderson (TBD)

Javon Franklin is USA's biggest loss, The Auburn transfer averaged 12.2 ppg 7.8 rpg 1.3 spg and 1.4 bpg in his lone year in Mobile. The Anderson brothers and Jamal West aren't key losses as they barely played for USA.

The Jaguars have added 4 REALLY GOOD pieces via the portal so far. Kevin Samuel was the ASUN Defensive Player of the year: 12 ppg 10 rpg 3 bpg last year for FGCU, and is a former 4* recruit and 3 year starter for TCU. He is an impact addition. Moore was a D2 All American: 22.6 ppg 5 rpg 5 apg. Owen White was also a D2 All American, 21 ppg 6.4 rpg 40% 3P. Elijah Ormiston is a 6'8 stretch 4 who averaged 17 ppg 6 rpg and shot 30% from deep.

Texas State:
Additions: Tuon Gatkek (Florida)
Departures: Caleb Asberry (TBD), Deuce Guidry (TBD), Nate Lacewell (TBD)

Asberry was 1st Team All Sun Belt this past year and is a big time loss for the Bobcats. Guidry and Lacewell only played in a combined 20 games, so not key losses there.

Gatkek is a transfer from Florida who appeared in 21 games for the Gators: 1.7 ppg 1.8 rpg. In JuCo he put up: 9.7 ppg 6.9 rpg and 2.3 bpg. A defensive minded frontcourt player, a good fit for Texas State.

Marshall:
Additions: Kamdyn Curfman (VMI)
Departures: Devin Collins (Pikeville), C.J. Meredith (Charleston), Jeremy Dillon (TBD)

Curfman is a good pick up for Marshall: He was a 1x All SoCon selection for VMI. ELITE shooter, 15.5 ppg and 2.4 apg. Shot 39% from deep while taking 9 three's a game.

Collins/Meredith/Dillon all aren't key losses.

Old Dominion:
Additions: Ben Stanley (Xavier), Tyreek Scott-Grayson (Northeastern), Chaunce Jenkins (Wichita St)
Departures: Kalu Ezikpe (Cincinnati), Jaylin Hunter (Ohio), Brady O'Connell (TBD), A.J. Oliver II (TBD)

ODU is losing some key veterans. First their starting center in Kalu Ezikpe who averaged 11.3 ppg 7.1 rpg and 1.1 bpg. Jaylin Hunter is another starter they are losing: 9.7 ppg 4 apg 1.5 spg 34% 3P. Oliver started 54/75 games in 3 years for ODU, but his production and minutes went down each year (11 ppg in 2019, 9.7 ppg in 2020, 3 ppg last year). O'Connell only played in 5 games.

Ben Stanley is a QUALITY pick up. A super senior who struggled to get minutes at Xavier (13 gms played in 2 years), but put up 22 ppg 7.2 rpg and was a Big South All Conference selection while at Hampton University in 2019. Scott-Grayson is another super senior addition who in his career: 8.4 ppg 3.5 rpg 1.7 apg (@Northeastern and UAB). Jenkins did not play much for WSU, but is a former 3 star recruit from Virginia.

James Madison:
Additions: Noah Freidel (South Dakota St), Mezie Offurum (Mount St. Mary's)
Departures: Andrew McConnell (USC Upstate), Jalen Hodge (SIUE), Tyce McNair (TBD), Devon Savage (TBD), Jaylen Stinson (Merrimack)

JMU is losing 5 guys to the portal, none were starters though and only one saw regular minutes (Hodge 13.7 mpg off bench).

Noah Freidel is a good pick up from South Dakota St. Last year he put up: 14.2 ppg 2.4 rpg 40% 3P (6.2 attempts a game). Mezie Offurum is another impact addition, he tallied: 11.4 ppg 5 rpg and 1.6 apg and was an All Conference selection.

Southern Mississippi:
Additions: Neftalí Álvarez (Mercer), Austin Crowley (Ole Miss)
Departures: Tae Hardy (UTEP), Jaron Pierre, Jr. (Wichita St), Walyn Napper (Longwood), Rashad Bolden (McNeese), Tyler Stevenson (Illinois-Chicago), Javarzia Belton (Coffeyville CC), Isaih Moore (TBD), Artur Konontsuk (TBD)

Southern Miss is basically starting from scratch roster wise and I don't blame them after a 7-26 record last year. So I will just highlight their additions.

Alvarez was a 12 ppg scorer at Mercer, but is not a great shooter (50% FT, 24% 3P). Crowley is a former 4 star top 125 recruit, he only averaged 3.4 ppg at Ole Miss.... could breakout in the Sun Belt.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sat May 07, 2022 7:52 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:31 am
Leader, high character.Can score from anywhere. Comes in with something to prove.
Yeah, yeah…but can he make a damn free throw?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon May 09, 2022 1:01 pm

Tamell Pearson committed
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon May 09, 2022 1:04 pm

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon May 09, 2022 6:54 pm

I hope he turns out well but he will be a senior and was debatably the 3rd or 4th best player on a .500 win squad in a weak-ish conference. What give me hope is his rebounding. He was only 3rd overall on rebounding but he had the most offensive rebounds which shows a good motor and willingness to get scrappy.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Fri May 13, 2022 9:51 am

Coastal Transfer Thweat from West Virginia has RE-entered the transfer portal

interesting timing

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri May 13, 2022 1:08 pm

Cierra Huntley , CJ's sister is transferring in to play volleyball.I was sworn to secrecy but it's out now.Speaks loudly to what that family thinks about us.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri May 13, 2022 3:58 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:08 pm
Cierra Huntley , CJ's sister is transferring in to play volleyball.I was sworn to secrecy but it's out now.Speaks loudly to what that family thinks about us.
Cierra is only 5-10 which is a wee bit short for a D-I OH. She makes up for it with her vertical and her wingspan. She can fly. Good pickup for Coach Rumley-Noble. Two years of eligibility...Plus, Plus!

https://appstatesports.com/news/2022/5/ ... eason.aspx

https://hokiesports.com/sports/womens-v ... tley/12289
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri May 13, 2022 5:24 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Why were you sworn to secrecy? She announced it on Instagram on Feb. 1.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat May 14, 2022 1:35 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:24 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Why were you sworn to secrecy? She announced it on Instagram on Feb. 1.

Why ? I was asked to keep it confidential as VPI was unaware at the time.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Tue May 17, 2022 9:18 am

Just announced on 247 Sports: Dibaji Walker 6-9, UMASS to APP, 2 years left

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu May 19, 2022 11:02 pm

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri May 20, 2022 9:21 pm

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Fri May 20, 2022 10:13 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:21 pm
Kind of feel like an unraveling. Maybe just me. Doesn’t look good.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri May 20, 2022 10:19 pm

RJ was solid and helped us make our run. But, CJ had his (quoting Kerns) light bulb turn on and it never went off. RJ was the better player two seasons ago from a pure talent standpoint. CJ closed that gap with hard work AND truly understood the system.

Wish nothing but success for RJ. Super good kid. Really talented. CJ and him just play the same position and CJ is now better at that role.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Fri May 20, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri May 20, 2022 10:28 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:13 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Yeah, looks bad! Right now I don’t have a good feeling about next year at all. Hope I’m wrong.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sat May 21, 2022 2:35 pm

pop5app wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:28 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:13 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Yeah, looks bad! Right now I don’t have a good feeling about next year at all. Hope I’m wrong.
Unraveling? Don’t have a good feeling about next year? Why? Because a marginal player transferred down where he could play more? I’m not sure what I’m missing…we’ve had fewer losses due to the portal than just about any team I can think of, certainly compared to the rest of the sun belt.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat May 21, 2022 3:08 pm

I think it might be in regards to the starters who have also left.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat May 21, 2022 3:14 pm

Duhart could have blossomed into a stud but last year he did very little offensively. Not a huge loss.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”