Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The End of Miller Hill?

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Re: The End of Miller Hill?

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:50 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:57 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:29 am
I was at both games. Yes, there was many people on the hill. Not sure there were 3000 at the The Hill for those games. I could be wrong as well
Its hard to know for sure. On the call, they used rationale that makes it seem as though there were less. Patrick stated that a person sitting down takes up more space than what they would in a seat. So seats may maximize the usage of the space.
It’ll also give us a more accurate attendance count. No more “well capacity says 28,500 but there were way more than that if you count the hill”, ya know? I think 10-15 years from now we’ll see stands right up against the back line of the south end zone, connected to both the east and west. They’ll be able to widen the south end zone concourse so it’s not so claustrophobic, maybe adding in some more concessions, bathrooms, and/or retail space.

Also if they connect the SEZ seats to the west sideline seats it’ll cap off the tunnel leading to the visitor’s locker rooms so we won’t have any more (overblown) Marshall incidents.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:54 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:50 am
AppSt94 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
I was at both games. Yes, there was many people on the hill. Not sure there were 3000 at the The Hill for those games. I could be wrong as well
Its hard to know for sure. On the call, they used rationale that makes it seem as though there were less. Patrick stated that a person sitting down takes up more space than what they would in a seat. So seats may maximize the usage of the space.
It’ll also give us a more accurate attendance count. No more “well capacity says 28,500 but there were way more than that if you count the hill”, ya know? I think 10-15 years from now we’ll see stands right up against the back line of the south end zone, connected to both the east and west. They’ll be able to widen the south end zone concourse so it’s not so claustrophobic, maybe adding in some more concessions, bathrooms, and/or retail space.

Also if they connect the SEZ seats to the west sideline seats it’ll cap off the tunnel leading to the visitor’s locker rooms so we won’t have any more (overblown) Marshall incidents.
Agree. It would be cool to have them make a pavilion style area on the backside if of the concourse with bathrooms and food. That way people can stand in line without missing the game.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:20 pm

They should put in temporary rack of stands in front of new NEZ with gap for players to come through.......there is plenty room for this addition and would look good like a lower deck to new NEZ.
KICK ASS!!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:55 pm

CornCobPipes wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:20 pm
They should put in temporary rack of stands in front of new NEZ with gap for players to come through.......there is plenty room for this addition and would look good like a lower deck to new NEZ.
Yes that is being done for UNC then the temporary rack of stands will be removed for the rest of the season. Most of the UNC fans will sit there since we have to sell them like 3000 seats at $150 each.
Last edited by Appstate88 on Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:05 pm

CornCobPipes wrote:
Not going to happen. The Beer Garten is a money maker and the NEZ patrons pay to have an on field patio.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:05 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

That doesn't make sense.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:22 pm

The students need more seats and really deserve the best seats in the house on both sidelines. Nuff said. The worst thing we could do is to start restricting students by going to a lottery system like bigger SEC schools. They pay the fees and should mean they should get to go to every game in every sport. It is why we alums love our school.
Last edited by Appstate88 on Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:29 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:05 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

That doesn't make sense.
If someone is sitting on the hill, they are sprawled out with their legs in front of them. Hence, taking up more room than they would if sitting horizontally in an 18 inch seat.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:42 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:16 pm
People don't stand on the grass hill they sit and they take up more room than if they were sitting on a bleacher seat. The grass part could hold a good deal greater number of fans with bleachers henceforth the reason they are being temporarily installed for next season.

The bulk of the 10k that somehow are squeezed in for big games stand on the blacktop circle and squeeze beyond way way beyond capacity in the student section.
I agree that folks sit on the hill when they can. But for our largest crowds this past season (I'm thinking Coastal & Marshall) the crowd on the hill appeared to stand for pretty much the entire game. And they were standing almost shoulder to shoulder. I am sure for our average crowds the seating on the hill would work well. Just my opinion though. Rebuilding the main seating sections on both the home and visitor's sides and starting the seats closer to the the field might add a significant number of seats.
Attachments
IMG_0762.jpg

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:24 pm

If we connected the SEZ to each side, I'd like to see students take up their current sections, the entire SEZ and if need a few lower east side sections close to the SEZ. Like others said, move the band to the middle of the SEZ so the entire stadium can hear them.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:17 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:05 pm
CornCobPipes wrote:
Not going to happen. The Beer Garten is a money maker and the NEZ patrons pay to have an on field patio.
The issue I’ve seen with that is NEZ ticket holders essentially have two seats. One seat up in the overhanging stands and one “seat” down in the beer garten. Every time I looked at the NEZ stands there were hundreds of empty seats. Even if the people who should’ve been filling those seats were 50 ft away on field level it just looked bad.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:25 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:17 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:05 pm
CornCobPipes wrote:
The issue I’ve seen with that is NEZ ticket holders essentially have two seats. One seat up in the overhanging stands and one “seat” down in the beer garten. Every time I looked at the NEZ stands there were hundreds of empty seats. Even if the people who should’ve been filling those seats were 50 ft away on field level it just looked bad.
The beer garten is the patio on the State side and is a separate area. The patio on the App side is for the ticket holders in the NEZ. The tickets to the beer garten are $100 per game and serve as a sort of premium experience. I get that it may look bad on TV, but it is what it is.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun May 01, 2022 7:31 am

Personally, I am fine with giving up the patio on the App St side if people want to pay $100+ for the experience and our limited to that area. If they get the same access to the NEZ then those privileges should fall in line with NEZ Seats or something near the cost. I am less interested in selling those on a single game basis as makes it easier for opposing team fans to pick up tickets. I am all for finding avenues to increase fan experience and raising money to fund the program given our Yosef participation rate is so low.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun May 01, 2022 8:19 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 7:31 am
Personally, I am fine with giving up the patio on the App St side if people want to pay $100+ for the experience and our limited to that area. If they get the same access to the NEZ then those privileges should fall in line with NEZ Seats or something near the cost. I am less interested in selling those on a single game basis as makes it easier for opposing team fans to pick up tickets. I am all for finding avenues to increase fan experience and raising money to fund the program given our Yosef participation rate is so low.
Honestly, I am somewhat indifferent to it. I only use the patio before the game to watch warm ups and get pumped up before the game before heading upstairs.

However, upon thinking about it, I’m not sure seating of any type would work in the NEZ. Keeping in mind that the team utilizes that area for practice space as well as storage. Bleachers of any type would require moving them in and out for game days, not to mention the storing of them during the week.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun May 01, 2022 8:22 am

Also in favor of building seats in SEZ over the visiting team ramp walkway leading down to the field from the locker room.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun May 01, 2022 10:12 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 8:19 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Honestly, I am somewhat indifferent to it. I only use the patio before the game to watch warm ups and get pumped up before the game before heading upstairs.

However, upon thinking about it, I’m not sure seating of any type would work in the NEZ. Keeping in mind that the team utilizes that area for practice space as well as storage. Bleachers of any type would require moving them in and out for game days, not to mention the storing of them during the week.
I was not contemplating seating. A true patio experience. It would not be something I would buy to stand entire game or how they would set it up. Just thinking about utilization of space for Gameday if it gets more ticket sales.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun May 01, 2022 10:46 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:12 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 8:19 am
BambooRdApp wrote:

I was not contemplating seating. A true patio experience. It would not be something I would buy to stand entire game or how they would set it up. Just thinking about utilization of space for Gameday if it gets more ticket sales.
I agree. I think the beer garten works for the space. They sell it out every game. Outside of temporary seats as suggested, I don’t know how else to utilize the space to maximize revenue. I just don’t see the feasibility if the seats have to be moved in and out before and after each game.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun May 01, 2022 5:53 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
I haven’t seen anyone regulating admittance to the NEZ from stairwell to the field. I assume someone in the beer garden could walk up to NEZ seats.
Bring Your A Game!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun May 01, 2022 6:09 pm

Those who are arguing the experience value of the hill I am curious, when did you last view an entire game from Miller Hill if ever?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun May 01, 2022 6:24 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 5:53 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
I haven’t seen anyone regulating admittance to the NEZ from stairwell to the field. I assume someone in the beer garden could walk up to NEZ seats.
I suppose they could. You need a wristband to gain access to the NEZ. I assume that you need one as well to gain access to the beer garden.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”