Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The End of Miller Hill?

beav910
School: Appalachian State

Re: The End of Miller Hill?

Unread post by beav910 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:52 am

Forgive me for the poor photoshop job I did this in 10 minutes but maybe it looks something like this with the temp bleachers sitting on the hill. Not sure though.
end-zone-project-view.jpg
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:05 am

If we add seats there I hope they begin inside the fence, missed opportunity if not.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:23 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:15 pm
For one, post-covid season, we had attendance greater than the actual seats. 2023 and 2024 will be the real test for whether or not we need to expand seating. The Carolina game will drive season ticket sales this year. But, the increased seat prices, parking prices, etc will kick in over the following two seasons. We have non-conference home games with ECU and Gardner-Webb in '23 and Liberty and ETSU in '24. When we get to the end of 2024, we'll know if full capacity attendance is a blip or a trend.

Also, I'd much rather see the temporary bleachers on the pad in front of the scoreboard (assuming the sound system doesn't blast those seats for the entire game), with the hill still accessible.
I’ve been thinking about this one for a while, since fans complained the score board was too loud after it was initially installed…now that the NEZ is finished they should place some speakers on top of that building and go surround sound. That’ll reduce the volume level needed from the SEZ scoreboard speakers, make the sound levels more tolerable for SEZ ticket holders, and they won’t have to crank it for NEZ ticket holders to be able to hear anything at all.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:15 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:23 am
WASU 93 wrote:
For one, post-covid season, we had attendance greater than the actual seats. 2023 and 2024 will be the real test for whether or not we need to expand seating. The Carolina game will drive season ticket sales this year. But, the increased seat prices, parking prices, etc will kick in over the following two seasons. We have non-conference home games with ECU and Gardner-Webb in '23 and Liberty and ETSU in '24. When we get to the end of 2024, we'll know if full capacity attendance is a blip or a trend.

Also, I'd much rather see the temporary bleachers on the pad in front of the scoreboard (assuming the sound system doesn't blast those seats for the entire game), with the hill still accessible.
I’ve been thinking about this one for a while, since fans complained the score board was too loud after it was initially installed…now that the NEZ is finished they should place some speakers on top of that building and go surround sound. That’ll reduce the volume level needed from the SEZ scoreboard speakers, make the sound levels more tolerable for SEZ ticket holders, and they won’t have to crank it for NEZ ticket holders to be able to hear anything at all.
Great idea. You need to submit that one. Who knows if the admin has thought of it or not, but it's a good plan

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:19 pm

beav910 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:52 am
Forgive me for the poor photoshop job I did this in 10 minutes but maybe it looks something like this with the temp bleachers sitting on the hill. Not sure though.

end-zone-project-view.jpg
Nice job.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:18 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:14 pm
yosefederation wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:29 pm
Not a fan of this. The hill is part of the college undergrad experience. It's part of the alumni with young children who can only attend a game or 2 yearly at Kidd Brewer experience. Until we continually fill up the current permanent seating other than our high profile games, I don't see the need for this permanent change. It's part of what makes our stadium unique / nostalgic in todays college atmosphere. So many other schools have made this move over the past 20 years only to see those seats empty in today's changing college atmosphere. Jmo
I disagree.

We have 25,500 actual seats and we have attendance far greater than that number now for every game. There are a little over 5k in seating for students but yet closer to 10k students attend. The students deserve some seats on the hill.

I agree with you regarding bleacher position on the blacktop.

Your point regarding attendance is valid but there are not enough seats for students. They aren't supposed to go seek out random empty unsold seats in the stadium although some do. They deserve more seats.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:18 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:18 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
yosefederation wrote:
Not a fan of this. The hill is part of the college undergrad experience. It's part of the alumni with young children who can only attend a game or 2 yearly at Kidd Brewer experience. Until we continually fill up the current permanent seating other than our high profile games, I don't see the need for this permanent change. It's part of what makes our stadium unique / nostalgic in todays college atmosphere. So many other schools have made this move over the past 20 years only to see those seats empty in today's changing college atmosphere. Jmo
I disagree.

We have 25,500 actual seats and we have attendance far greater than that number now for every game. There are a little over 5k in seating for students but yet closer to 10k students attend. The students deserve some seats on the hill.

Your point regarding attendance is valid but there are not enough seats for students. They aren't supposed to go seek out random empty unsold seats in the stadium although some do. They deserve more seats.
I know that people love the lower sections on the east side. However, I believe students deserve all the lower level seats on both West "APP" and East "STATE" sides. The remaining KBS seats - all upper level seats on both sides and NEZ seats should be for season ticket holders. I would then upgrade the seats in all season ticket holder sections to match the NEZ seats. The new to be built south endzone (SEZ) seats on Miller Hill would be built similar to the existing lower level seats. The Mountaineers "Band of Distinction" would be positioned directly below the big video scoreboard centered in the SEZ. The remaining SEZ seats on either side of the band would be for single game ticket sales and to accommodate any visitor ticket allotments. Having the band directly below the scoreboard will allow them to be heard on the East, West and North sides of the stadium. Having the band positioned there is also a good visual when the TV cameras are pointed toward the scoreboard. Not to mention, If you purchase a single game ticket or are a visiting fan you get the pleasure of getting blasted by the stadium sound system and get to turn your head around every time you want to see what's on the video scoreboard.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:28 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:18 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
yosefederation wrote:
I disagree.

I know that people love the lower sections on the east side. However, I believe students deserve all the lower level seats on both West "APP" and East "STATE" sides. The remaining KBS seats - all upper level seats on both sides and NEZ seats should be for season ticket holders. I would then upgrade the seats in all season ticket holder sections to match the NEZ seats. The new to be built south endzone (SEZ) seats on Miller Hill would be built similar to the existing lower level seats. The Mountaineers "Band of Distinction" would be positioned directly below the big video scoreboard centered in the SEZ. The remaining SEZ seats on either side of the band would be for single game ticket sales and to accommodate any visitor ticket allotments. Having the band directly below the scoreboard will allow them to be heard on the East, West and North sides of the stadium. Having the band positioned there is also a good visual when the TV cameras are pointed toward the scoreboard. Not to mention, If you purchase a single game ticket or are a visiting fan you get the pleasure of getting blasted by the stadium sound system and get to turn your head around every time you want to see what's on the video scoreboard.
Putting students directly behind the opposing bench is asking for trouble. The adults are bad enough. Otherwise, I don't disagree with the thought process other than selfishly I don't want to give up those prime seats.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:56 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:28 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:18 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:

I disagree.

Putting students directly behind the opposing bench is asking for trouble. The adults are bad enough. Otherwise, I don't disagree with the thought process other than selfishly I don't want to give up those prime seats.
What if the band sets up in the SEZ. In some of the sections such as 207 (where my seat s are I feel like I miss or don't hear the band as well. At least in the SEZ it would project better throughout the whole stadium.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:04 pm

I understand having to find seats for the UNC fans but adding permanent seats to the hill will cut attendance overall. For our largest games the hill has been standing room only with folks packed in like sardines…all standing up. No way you can have as many people SITTING in that same space.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:34 pm

AppYosef! wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:04 pm
I understand having to find seats for the UNC fans but adding permanent seats to the hill will cut attendance overall. For our largest games the hill has been standing room only with folks packed in like sardines…all standing up. No way you can have as many people SITTING in that same space.
Any idea how many people are on the hill when it is full?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:04 pm

If planting permanent seating in the end zone means a reduction in overall attendance maybe it means future projects of bringing the east and west side upper decks on around the south end zone.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:16 pm

People don't stand on the grass hill they sit and they take up more room than if they were sitting on a bleacher seat. The grass part could hold a good deal greater number of fans with bleachers henceforth the reason they are being temporarily installed for next season.

The bulk of the 10k that somehow are squeezed in for big games stand on the blacktop circle and squeeze beyond way way beyond capacity in the student section.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:04 pm

For what it’s worth, count me in the column that wants seats, no more bank. Pay for a seat not a wet muddy grass area.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:08 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:16 pm
People don't stand on the grass hill they sit and they take up more room than if they were sitting on a bleacher seat. The grass part could hold a good deal greater number of fans with bleachers henceforth the reason they are being temporarily installed for next season.

The bulk of the 10k that somehow are squeezed in for big games stand on the blacktop circle and squeeze beyond way way beyond capacity in the student section.
I'm not sure that's true about the number of seats.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:19 am

NewApp wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:08 am
HighlandsApp wrote:

There will be 3000 seats on the hill this year. Can we put 3000 fans on the hill currently?

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:26 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:19 am
NewApp wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:08 am
HighlandsApp wrote:

There will be 3000 seats on the hill this year. Can we put 3000 fans on the hill currently?
Well for both Marshall and Coastal you couldn’t get another fan/student in there. My guess is there was way more than 3000 bodies on the hill. But I could be wrong.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:29 am

I was at both games. Yes, there was many people on the hill. Not sure there were 3000 at the The Hill for those games. I could be wrong as well
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:39 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:05 am
If we add seats there I hope they begin inside the fence, missed opportunity if not.
Yes! We have lightyears of space of fans from the field, bring the endzone stands close in!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:57 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:29 am
I was at both games. Yes, there was many people on the hill. Not sure there were 3000 at the The Hill for those games. I could be wrong as well
Its hard to know for sure. On the call, they used rationale that makes it seem as though there were less. Patrick stated that a person sitting down takes up more space than what they would in a seat. So seats may maximize the usage of the space.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”