Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2022 App State Coaching Updates

mike87
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:19 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:27 pm
mike87 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:17 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:55 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:10 am
It’s evidently easier said than done but I don’t get why more teams don’t try to implement a big blocking fullback for short yardage situations especially. That system seemed to work for years but has pretty much died out. You would think most teams have at least one pretty athletic 250 guy who also plays line. We used Spurlin on more than a few offensive plays. Just curious
Blocking as a fullback isn't as easy as getting in front of someone. The technique to be effective at a high level is equivalent of being a TE. We use our TEs as more of an H Back role for this reason -- we get guys that can block as well as catch and run.

Having an athlete at 250 pounds isn't the hard part. The hard part is getting that said athlete to learn how to block AND play another position.

Most offenses are now a type of spread, so you aren't going to "waste" (for a lack of a better term) a scholarship on a guy specifically to block (unless that fits your scheme). P5 schools have the luxury of getting the best of the best athletes with size.
i'd agree with this except when you are looking for 1 yard or less. Then I think the laws of physics take over. Mass is mass and it's hard to stop. I've questioned using Noel over Cam in similar short yardage situations. A big man with momentum gets the short yardage.
While true mass is mass -- what happens if we put in a DT as the fullback, he misses the block due to not knowing how to block properly and now the RB has to take on two? Two large bodies is more than one. Or, we give the ball to the DT to get the one yard but he fumbles since he's not used to ball security?

I will take a smaller TE/H back that knows how to block in every scenario over a guy just because he's big. And, obviously this is how most coaches feel as well since it's pretty rare to get a two way player.
What's popular isn't always what's right. Nobody ran the spread until everyone did. Now everyone is moving away from it. I remember my man William "Refrigerator" Perry made a pretty good living on these short yardage plays. Now that UGA won a ring utilizing the big man, watch it come back in style.

Let's not get started on ball security.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:29 am

So no new updates on coaches?
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:33 am

mike87 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:19 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
mike87 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
It’s evidently easier said than done but I don’t get why more teams don’t try to implement a big blocking fullback for short yardage situations especially. That system seemed to work for years but has pretty much died out. You would think most teams have at least one pretty athletic 250 guy who also plays line. We used Spurlin on more than a few offensive plays. Just curious
Blocking as a fullback isn't as easy as getting in front of someone. The technique to be effective at a high level is equivalent of being a TE. We use our TEs as more of an H Back role for this reason -- we get guys that can block as well as catch and run.

Having an athlete at 250 pounds isn't the hard part. The hard part is getting that said athlete to learn how to block AND play another position.

Most offenses are now a type of spread, so you aren't going to "waste" (for a lack of a better term) a scholarship on a guy specifically to block (unless that fits your scheme). P5 schools have the luxury of getting the best of the best athletes with size.
i'd agree with this except when you are looking for 1 yard or less. Then I think the laws of physics take over. Mass is mass and it's hard to stop. I've questioned using Noel over Cam in similar short yardage situations. A big man with momentum gets the short yardage.
While true mass is mass -- what happens if we put in a DT as the fullback, he misses the block due to not knowing how to block properly and now the RB has to take on two? Two large bodies is more than one. Or, we give the ball to the DT to get the one yard but he fumbles since he's not used to ball security?

I will take a smaller TE/H back that knows how to block in every scenario over a guy just because he's big. And, obviously this is how most coaches feel as well since it's pretty rare to get a two way player.
What's popular isn't always what's right. Nobody ran the spread until everyone did. Now everyone is moving away from it. I remember my man William "Refrigerator" Perry made a pretty good living on these short yardage plays. Now that UGA won a ring utilizing the big man, watch it come back in style.

I was thinking that about 4 years ago when the spread had begun to be so prevalent. I was thinking that someone is going to go for more size and balance of size/speed combos in players. You put a OL that averages 6'5'-6'7 and 310-335 against a DL that is 6'1-6'3 and 240-275 and that OL will eat the DL up as the game goes on. Georgia and Alabama have kept going for big guys and that is why they are always in the top 5 with no down years.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:43 am

mike87 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
mike87 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

You very clearly don't know anything about Jordan Davis if you think he's the answer for this. Jordan Davis played both ways in high school and was all state for both lines. He also played tight end and is a freak of nature athletically. He honestly could have committed to App as a TE and started day 1.

Having a large defensive lineman play offense isn't new (like you said, The Fridge made a career out of it). What I am trying to say is App is not going to get the Jordan Davis' of the world that can (and has) played both ways. We're going to get the Caleb Spurlin's of the world that can (and has) played both ways but is not a 300+ pound guy that knows how to block. Heck, Meech even played on some goal line packages this year. But guess what? Meech also played TE and some FB in high school so he at least knows the basics of blocking technique.

Bottom line -- players that play a position that has never required blocking training (i.e. defensive line) will not be good to throw in as a blocking back on offense. It takes way more than being big to block efficiently. And, simply put, we aren't going to get many guys that can do both efficiently. Those athletes (most of the time) are not coming to App (as of now).

And the ball security -- sure, our RBs have had some trouble with that. But, if you think putting a big dude out there just because he is big isn't going to be worse with ball security, you're fooling yourself.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:44 am

Many people have no idea of the amount of knowledge and skill needed to be an offensive lineman. Dealing with a wide variety of rushers. How to effectively pick up and thwart double teams and/or a primary rusher + blitz. Blocking during rushing plays which can involve a variety of pulls and stunts that have to be made with precision for the play to be successful. Providing effective pass protection which requires a different skill set than opening holes for RB's. This is just a partial list.

So yes, putting in a "heavy" who usually plays defense isn't a plug & play situation.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:23 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:43 am
mike87 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
mike87 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

You very clearly don't know anything about Jordan Davis if you think he's the answer for this. Jordan Davis played both ways in high school and was all state for both lines. He also played tight end and is a freak of nature athletically. He honestly could have committed to App as a TE and started day 1.

Having a large defensive lineman play offense isn't new (like you said, The Fridge made a career out of it). What I am trying to say is App is not going to get the Jordan Davis' of the world that can (and has) played both ways. We're going to get the Caleb Spurlin's of the world that can (and has) played both ways but is not a 300+ pound guy that knows how to block. Heck, Meech even played on some goal line packages this year. But guess what? Meech also played TE and some FB in high school so he at least knows the basics of blocking technique.

Bottom line -- players that play a position that has never required blocking training (i.e. defensive line) will not be good to throw in as a blocking back on offense. It takes way more than being big to block efficiently. And, simply put, we aren't going to get many guys that can do both efficiently. Those athletes (most of the time) are not coming to App (as of now).

And the ball security -- sure, our RBs have had some trouble with that. But, if you think putting a big dude out there just because he is big isn't going to be worse with ball security, you're fooling yourself.
First thing I said was that it’s probably easier said than done. All I know is that if you can work in a 250lb dude to get some momentum with the ball and pound forward for a yard or two MOST defensive linemen we face will struggle to stop him. I have watched a good bit of short yardage situations and have seen a more than a few succeed. I didn’t intend for this question to go off the rails. I’m sure that there is a lot to consider or more teams would certainly implement it. The downside with using a big dude in these situations is that there is no element of surprise unless he is a decoy. If you do that it’s almost 10 on 11 and the trickery better work.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:06 am

So what about a coaching update?

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:46 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:23 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:43 am
mike87 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
mike87 wrote:

First thing I said was that it’s probably easier said than done. All I know is that if you can work in a 250lb dude to get some momentum with the ball and pound forward for a yard or two MOST defensive linemen we face will struggle to stop him. I have watched a good bit of short yardage situations and have seen a more than a few succeed. I didn’t intend for this question to go off the rails. I’m sure that there is a lot to consider or more teams would certainly implement it. The downside with using a big dude in these situations is that there is no element of surprise unless he is a decoy. If you do that it’s almost 10 on 11 and the trickery better work.
With you man. I'm not trying to be technical. I just like watching a big dude play smash mouth football. And I'll never be convinced it doesn't work.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:20 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:06 am
So what about a coaching update?
We have one opening at the moment. When it gets filled, I guess we will hear. No timetable given, but it prolly happens sooner than later with spring practice starting next month.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:34 pm

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:23 pm

I like it!

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:38 pm

Great resume and a wealth of experience!!!

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:40 pm

Heck of a resume!

GO APPS!!

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:54 pm

5 years of experience as a coordinator...hmmm

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:10 pm

Wow. How did we land this guy when he has all that experience and all those connections?

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:14 pm

teaasu76 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:26 pm
Is there a way we can take the posts about 3rd and 4th down conversions to another thread? I come to this thread expecting to see updates on the coaching staff.
Thank you! I was about to post the same thing. This place is the worst for threads getting hijacked.

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:48 pm

Freaking wow! Excited!

And maybe he helps with a certain game next year!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:39 pm

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:48 pm
Freaking wow! Excited!

And maybe he helps with a certain game next year!
Maybe Texas A&M is so worried about losing to Appalachian that they put one of their people on Appalachian's football staff to scout the team out for them?

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:54 pm

Very nice addition.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:05 am

AppinATL wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:14 pm
teaasu76 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:26 pm
Is there a way we can take the posts about 3rd and 4th down conversions to another thread? I come to this thread expecting to see updates on the coaching staff.
Thank you! I was about to post the same thing. This place is the worst for threads getting hijacked.
it's the offseason. Wait until about May, we can really run it down a rabbit hole.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”