Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB vs Coastal Carolina, 1/13 6:30pm

spacemonkey
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB vs Coastal Carolina, 1/13 6:30pm

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:11 pm

Attendance bothers/worries me for App..but I am watching Oregon @ UCLA....no one at the game. Did California go into lock down again. NC State @ Louisville the other night....close to empty. What is going on with Basketball attendance?

Great win for App....I loved seeing Kearns encouraging the Students and fans to keep showing up.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:21 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:11 pm
Attendance bothers/worries me for App..but I am watching Oregon @ UCLA....no one at the game. Did California go into lock down again. NC State @ Louisville the other night....close to empty. What is going on with Basketball attendance?

Great win for App....I loved seeing Kearns encouraging the Students and fans to keep showing up.
Covid brother…..

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:04 pm

Was at the game . First game this year..Just a couple of observations: Holmes is a nice venue, If you want to build local support give a reduced price for tickets, on offense we need more movement( too much dribbling, to much standing waiting for someone to pass to me so I can take a 3 pointer). On the up side, the team plays not just hard but real hard! On the down side, they are maybe the worst offensive team I’ve ever seen. Overall, really good and exciting game. Fun time and good entertainment!

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:36 am

We are currently 2nd in the conference in attendance 2191/game….. ULL is 2595…. is first. It does seem weird to write this. I think last nights game attendance was 3,000. Watching it on espn+, particularly the last three minutes or so, the crowd made an impact on CC. It’s very nice to see!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:20 am

Great win. Watched on the +. Agree with above. We seem to play really hard. However, our offensive scheme seems to leave much to be desired IMO. I get the top screens to get offense going, however it seems stagnant because others are not moving or setting picks away from the ball. With that said, I did learn something (if only from last night and maybe a one game wonder). If a team plays zone, it is like Christmas for our guys..we had some wide open looks in their zone. Our is is man defense against our offense. We seem to take 3s when not open. Great win and let's beat them in Conway!!
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:36 am

AppFan11 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:36 am
We are currently 2nd in the conference in attendance 2191/game….. ULL is 2595…. is first. It does seem weird to write this. I think last nights game attendance was 3,000. Watching it on espn+, particularly the last three minutes or so, the crowd made an impact on CC. It’s very nice to see!!!
Were the only team in the conference that doesn't fudge attendance numbers in basketball, but very nice to see us second! I'm sure the home games over christmas break hurt our season average

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:51 am

CJ Huntley has really broken out and it has been much needed. In his last 5 games he is averaging 10.2 ppg and 7.2 rpg. Once his shooting splits improve from 42.2% / 32.1% from 3 / and 44.4% from the free throw line we could see 15/8 a game out of him!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:19 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:05 pm
proasu89 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:53 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:46 pm
Where are the other athletes at these games? It’d be huge to have a big turnout from the football and baseball teams.
Are you saying for sure they aren’t there? I haven’t been to a home game this season but other teams have always supported in the past.
I can’t say that for sure but I peruse App State Twitter more than I probably should and I’ve never seen anyone mention other sports teams organizing to be a force at basketball games. I’ve seen where football players showed up because they were being recognized during the game but never as support for the basketball team.
Back in the 70s the football team came and pretty much sat as a group, across from the team bench in Varsity. There was usually a running banter between a few players and the officials (particularly Ralph Stout). Of course after Bobby Cremins came to town Varsity was pretty much packed every home game.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:03 am

It looks completely empty to me on ESPN+. But oddly good crowd noise for who was there. Not enough enough to have been to a game in the Cremins era, but a couple Fancher years we seemed to pack it up pretty well. The 06-07 and 07-08 DJ, Donte Minter, Jeremy Clayton, Donald Sims, Kellen Brand and Nate Cranford years were fun. The 06-07 team might be the best App team NOT to make the tourney IMO. Those years had Holmes rockin and not just when Steph and Davidson came to town. Fun fact, Davison lost 1 conference game Steph's freshman year. It was at home to our Neers.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:17 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:20 am
Great win. Watched on the +. Agree with above. We seem to play really hard. However, our offensive scheme seems to leave much to be desired IMO. I get the top screens to get offense going, however it seems stagnant because others are not moving or setting picks away from the ball. With that said, I did learn something (if only from last night and maybe a one game wonder). If a team plays zone, it is like Christmas for our guys..we had some wide open looks in their zone. Our is is man defense against our offense. We seem to take 3s when not open. Great win and let's beat them in Conway!!
I can see a noticeable difference in scheme from last year to this year. 2020 was “pass around the perimeter, shoot 3, everybody get back on defense”. That scheme was 100% a reflection of our roster - not having a big man, not having quality rebounding, not having quality depth so playing off the ball to minimize foul trouble, not having quick enough athletes that can defend fast breaks with only 2 or 3 guys…but I’ve seen a move in the direction of offensive rebounding and working the ball inside.

I trust Dustin Kerns’ process. All coaches have a scheme they’d like to run in an ideal world, but when you take over a program in the dregs like ours was, you can’t run it because you just don’t have the personnel. Waiting for DK to recruit a legitimate big bodied center or power forward with rebounding skills and it’s Katie bar the door.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:21 am

I think attendance wise as long as students are showing up like they do I don't care what everyone else does. Sure it would be nice to have 6000 at every game but after living through the Fox era beggars can't be choosers.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:26 am

spacemonkey wrote:

It's California...remember how UCLA wussed out of the bowl game against State?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:33 am

beav910 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:21 am
I think attendance wise as long as students are showing up like they do I don't care what everyone else does. Sure it would be nice to have 6000 at every game but after living through the Fox era beggars can't be choosers.
Why? This is a program that’s building. It’s pathetic that we can’t get a thousand locals in a town of 20,000 to show up and support their team. It’s frankly inexcusable. We need buy in from the population if this program is going to burst through the ceiling of low standards the past 15 years set.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:48 am

asumba95 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:26 am
spacemonkey wrote:

If you watch enough games outside of the South, attendance is pretty meager everywhere. Part of it is the time of the year when students haven't returned in many places. Some might call it prudence not "wussing" out.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:04 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:17 am
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:20 am
I can see a noticeable difference in scheme from last year to this year. 2020 was “pass around the perimeter, shoot 3, everybody get back on defense”. That scheme was 100% a reflection of our roster - not having a big man, not having quality rebounding, not having quality depth so playing off the ball to minimize foul trouble, not having quick enough athletes that can defend fast breaks with only 2 or 3 guys…but I’ve seen a move in the direction of offensive rebounding and working the ball inside.

I trust Dustin Kerns’ process. All coaches have a scheme they’d like to run in an ideal world, but when you take over a program in the dregs like ours was, you can’t run it because you just don’t have the personnel. Waiting for DK to recruit a legitimate big bodied center or power forward with rebounding skills and it’s Katie bar the door.
Kerns took over a team with 3 "legitimate big bodied" big men in Seacat, Isaac, and James Lewis. Isaac and Hunter graduated after Kerns 1st year, Lewis is still on roster, but Kerns has yet to recruit a legitimate big man in his 3 recruiting classes. All of the bigs he has recruited have been stretch 4's (Huntley, Duhart, Sasha, Abson who will be a frosh next year). I don't know if this is an indication of what kind of offense / roster he wants to have, but it would seem a rebound first big man is not on the recruiting priority list

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:08 pm

beav910 wrote:
we need to stop blaming the fox era for everything. 1) Capel left the program in way worse shape 2) the player who made the game winning block last night was a Fox recruit 3) 4 of our 5 leading scorers this year were brought to App by Fox and his staff.

We've turned the corner, student support has been amazing this year, it will continue to grow we aren't going to go from 1k to 6k+ overnight. Let's live in the present and for the future and stop dwelling on the past!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:19 pm

hapapp wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:48 am
asumba95 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:26 am
spacemonkey wrote:

If you watch enough games outside of the South, attendance is pretty meager everywhere. Part of it is the time of the year when students haven't returned in many places. Some might call it prudence not "wussing" out.
Under 40 you're wussing out.

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:20 pm

beav910 wrote:
Starting games at 6:30 on weeknights isn't conducive to higher attendance (in my opinion). I'm yet to make it to my seats (after getting off of work and driving 1/2 hour home) before nearly halfway through the first half.

Had I known beforehand that most of the weeknight tip times were 6:30, I wouldn't have bought season tickets.

Does anyone know what the thought/decision process was in moving the start times back this season?

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:08 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:20 pm
They do adjust them from time to time. Looks even with a slight nod to us based on homecourt.We need it but Cliff Ellis is a tough out.
Can’t agree with that last statement. Coach Ellis is coasting and most of the Teal faithful are ready for some new energy. That being said, he did bring in the players that made them a tough out last night and tomorrow in Conway.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:47 pm

PoplarHillApp wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:20 pm
beav910 wrote:
Starting games at 6:30 on weeknights isn't conducive to higher attendance (in my opinion). I'm yet to make it to my seats (after getting off of work and driving 1/2 hour home) before nearly halfway through the first half.

Had I known beforehand that most of the weeknight tip times were 6:30, I wouldn't have bought season tickets.

Does anyone know what the thought/decision process was in moving the start times back this season?
My guess is they thought it would help with off the mountain fans in that it would get them home an hour earlier.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”