Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Time to give Shawn Clark contract extension

pop5app
School: Appalachian State

Re: Time to give Shawn Clark contract extension

Unread post by pop5app » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:36 am

Just my 2 cents: I have been slightly critical of Shawn. No one wants him to succeed more than me! I think he gets it; makes $500,000 to $1,000,000 per year and gets to coach his alma mater (I do. Think he loves APP as much as the rest of us) and he gets to raise his family in the High Country with its quality of life. That being said, he is average vs. stronger teams (4-3 vs. LaLa x2, Marsha, Chicken, Stink, Least Carolina ,Mi-hami) this year. (An improvement over 2020) Third year coming up, Let’s see how he does with probably the toughest schedule ever. After evaluating the results and performance perhaps a bump in pay will be warranted.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:40 am

Shawn made $775k this year. I think he's happy and grateful for the opportunity. Raising it $100k isn't going to make a difference whether he stays or goes and I really don't care if other SBC coaches make more than OUR guy. That isn't a rational reason for a raise.

I'd rather see us use any incremental money to increase assistant coaches salaries and give Clark ammo to go out and build the best staff possible. Clark's success depends as much (or in some causes more so) on how the staff performs.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:44 am

Well we have not won the conference in three years, isn't that the yardstick we use to measure?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:56 am

fjblair wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:44 am
Well we have not won the conference in three years, isn't that the yardstick we use to measure?
yes, it's been 3 years since we wont our last championship but saying it that way makes it sound like we've failed 3 seasons in a row.

This is the double edged sword of being in an improving conference. If we win the championship every year, it will eventually lose meaning nationally because the SunBelt will be seen as a one horse conference. The MWC has that issue to some degree since Boise State is the only recognized team (although they do have other good programs). Louisiana is a legit competitor. That will make it all the sweeter when we win it back.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:40 am

I am all about doing whatever keeps him here the longest. Coaching turnover is so much more detrimental than it used to be in todays college football landscape. It is also more rampant than ever. Case in point Oklahoma. Lincoln Riley announces he is gone and they have now lost their top 2 or 3 recruits and multiple players have entered the transfer portal now(Rattler was gone anyways). More than ever you have to stay the course as every one else around you plays the shell game you stay pat and reap the benefits.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:50 am

Disagree

Apps are 2-6 in games they’re favored by 7 points or less under Clark. He is winning the games he is supposed to win and losing 75% of the "toss ups". Not good enough for an extension yet. Not advocating for him to get fired either. Simply keep letting the story unfold and revisit next year,

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:12 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:40 am
Shawn made $775k this year. I think he's happy and grateful for the opportunity. Raising it $100k isn't going to make a difference whether he stays or goes and I really don't care if other SBC coaches make more than OUR guy. That isn't a rational reason for a raise.

I'd rather see us use any incremental money to increase assistant coaches salaries and give Clark ammo to go out and build the best staff possible. Clark's success depends as much (or in some causes more so) on how the staff performs.
I'm with you here. I would rather see more money go to staff to help him get and retain really good coaches.

I think we need to see how next year goes before we even consider raising pay or extending him. I think 10+ wins and a league title would guarantee it but 2022 is very tough and I don't think that happens. I feel like we need to be patient and get to 2023 absent a league title, which would be a shock with how hard 2022 is going to be.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:54 am

Who wants to be the athletic director that gives a coach a questionable extension, followed by potentially a 0-3 start the following season? That of course coming after you convinced thousands to buy season tickets just to be guaranteed a seat for the UNC game.

Looking beyond the numbers and using just the eye test from games I've watched, I've just not seen anything that tells me a significant pay bump is necessary at this time.

On the flip side of my pessimistic paragraph above...If he can beat Marshall, UNC, keep A&M close and go undefeated in conference play with a conference title...well then he's going to be thrown all kinds of offers that will be higher than anything App can offer, extension or no extension.

C.R.E.A.M.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:11 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:56 am
fjblair wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:44 am
yes, it's been 3 years since we wont our last championship but saying it that way makes it sound like we've failed 3 seasons in a row.

This is the double edged sword of being in an improving conference. If we win the championship every year, it will eventually lose meaning nationally because the SunBelt will be seen as a one horse conference. The MWC has that issue to some degree since Boise State is the only recognized team (although they do have other good programs). Louisiana is a legit competitor. That will make it all the sweeter when we win it back.
It's only been two seasons without a title.
We beat Louisiana in 2019
Coastal Chickened Out in 2020
Louisiana won it in 2021

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:16 pm

As much as I like Shawn I think there's time to spare on an extension. He's two years into a five-year contract. Depending on his performance, two-thirds through next season or after the Championship Game will be the time to talk extension. He gets a pretty big raise/bonus ($15,000/month/year, if I understand it correctly) just for staying at App.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:28 pm

Anyone expecting 9-10 wins next year is setting expectations too high. Look at the talent and experience this team is losing and then mix in a tougher schedule than this year.

I'd hope we'd enter the 2022 season with some perspective of the turnover and adjust expectations, but I know this board (and definitely twitter) will disappoint by the end of September.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:36 pm

Might not matter as far as contract extensions go but I am curious as to how we play against Western Kentucky. They may be the 2nd best team we've seen this year. Very hopeful we take care of business on national TV and beat a talented team. It's a game I feel we should definitely be able to win but so was LA (twice) and Miami. It almost feels like we are slowly digressing if we don't win this one. Sorry if I am off topic here but every win counts. Some more than others.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:50 pm

Slow the roll fellas…
sC is still learning how to be a HC.
His first recruiting class was last year.
We very well may be rebuilding the next 2 years. Patience is hard.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:54 pm

I enjoy reading how bad we suck as a team, how our players aren't good enough and our coaches can't tie their own shoes (figuratively speaking).

I make a motion we amend this website to something related to Chicken Little.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:08 pm

9-3 last year. Seems equal to 10 win season given it was a covid year. Maybe one of our highest recruiting classes last year.
10 wins this year pre+bowl game. This year recruiting class looks pretty good.. Not sure of our total allowed recruits for this class (Schollys to give out). CCU is rated higher, however, they have more overall commits. ULL class is below us. Seems to be doing okay on the recruiting trail.
Time will tell.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:21 pm

He had a pretty good season this year. We should have beaten Miami, I think the 2 ULL losses had some impact due to coaching, they were well prepared for us both times. Don't think contract extension is warranted in my opinion. I do believe he is a smart enough guy to learn and grow as a coach as well as his staff. I would give the defensive staff and special teams an A or A+. Maybe B- or C+ for offense. We seem to have hit a plateau on offense the last 2 years even with best talent I have seen at App. Not calling for any change in staff myself but growth. 2 of 3 losses defense held up on their part and then some, offense struggled more than I would like to see even in the good wins. Next season I'm tempering my expectations as a rebuilding year. Even if some seniors return we are losing a ton of talent and record holders.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:26 pm

The 2022 season should be the litmus test for a contract extension, because after that, he'll have two years left.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:02 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:08 pm
9-3 last year. Seems equal to 10 win season given it was a covid year. Maybe one of our highest recruiting classes last year.
10 wins this year pre+bowl game. This year recruiting class looks pretty good.. Not sure of our total allowed recruits for this class (Schollys to give out). CCU is rated higher, however, they have more overall commits. ULL class is below us. Seems to be doing okay on the recruiting trail.
Time will tell.
HS ratings mean absolutely nothing at the G5 level. Look how many of our commits don't even have a rating despite being committed for weeks or months yet a kid commits to the SEC and has a rating within days.

Just based on paper and the highlights it appears 2021 and 2022 are our two best classes ever but they have to show it on the field. I think just now we can look back and put a grade on how the 2017 and 2018 classes panned out.

Look at 2017 for example: https://247sports.com/college/appalachi ... l/Commits/

Top 5 rated recruits
1. Malik Williams- All-SBC, big hit
2. Thomas Hennigan- All-SBC, big hit, all-time leader
3. D'Andre Hicks- transferred and was not productive when he left
4. Ryan Huff- Solid player, a hit
5. Zeke Brandle- left the program

We hit big on Noah Harron, Harrington, Jolly, Taylor, S Jones, and Jackson. Frizzell was a solid player.

Our 3 lowest rated were D'Marco Jackson, Steven Jones, and Tim Frizzell. 2 of those 3 were just named All-Americans. We hit on 10 of the 19 signed.

Look at 2018: https://247sports.com/college/appalachi ... l/Commits/

We missed badly on the top 5
1. Braden Collins- transfer walk-on to UT who I don't think played
2. Jay Person- transferred and All-SoCon but did not do anything here
3. Harrison Taylor- bust who left- had some issues I think
4. Trey Ross- Backup that we have not seen enough of yet
5. Zareon Hayes- just left for a FCS school.

Peoples, Hodges, and Earle were 3 of the 4 lowest rated in 2018. All 3 of them are All-SBC and probably get a shot in the NFL.

2018 is proof that the ratings can be completely wrong for a G5 like us.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:04 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:26 pm
The 2022 season should be the litmus test for a contract extension, because after that, he'll have two years left.
I think most of us feel this way. Go 10-2 in regular season, win the SBC, and a bowl game and then we absolutely should consider it. A lot can happen and I always feel those who are fastest to suggest these things will be the first to want them fired if we were to start 3-3 or so next year before letting it play out.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:15 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:02 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:08 pm
Time will tell.
HS ratings mean absolutely nothing at the G5 level. Look how many of our commits don't even have a rating despite being committed for weeks or months yet a kid commits to the SEC and has a rating within days.

Our lowest rated recruiting classes in FBS won SBC titles but higher rated classes from the last 2 years fell short of it. I'm not putting them down but I think we should probably look back and see how the class should rate 4 years after signing.

Just based on paper and the highlights it appears 2021 and 2022 are our two best classes ever but they have to show it on the field. I think just now we can look back and put a grade on how the 2017 and 2018 classes panned out.
Thanks Captain Obvious. I believe we all understand this point. No rating matters more than the actual play on the field and how they actually perform. This is the deal whether P5 or G5. In regards to Clark, as head coach, and bringing in, holding onto, transfer portal is the last two years. Prior to that he was not the CEO of the program. On paper, the last two look pretty good.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”