Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Soccer

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Men's Soccer

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:21 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:32 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:39 am
ASU84 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:37 am
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:55 am
Tru2ASU wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:50 am
I can't think of any team sport that has been cut, then re-added, on a collegiate level outside of football. Anyone know of any?
Boise St baseball

This is off the top of my head
SMU football :lol:
Ouch
Pony Express...collecting weekly paychecks. The "employees" went on strike when the paychecks stopped🤣🤣
Wouldn't be a problem today.

ViewCrew87

Unread post by ViewCrew87 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:47 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:32 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:39 am
ASU84 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:37 am
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:55 am
Tru2ASU wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:50 am
I can't think of any team sport that has been cut, then re-added, on a collegiate level outside of football. Anyone know of any?
Boise St baseball

This is off the top of my head
SMU football :lol:
Ouch
Pony Express...collecting weekly paychecks. The "employees" went on strike when the paychecks stopped🤣🤣
Eric Dickerson took a pay cut when he was drafted by the Rams.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:38 pm

Wasn't there a donor that offered to help bring back soccer? Is that donor still prepared to do this or have they moved on?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:16 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:00 pm
NewApp wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:43 pm
Where would our mens' soccer team play? Is the project at the old Watauga site finished (for soccer and track) ????? Doesn't seem like it would work having to share the present womens' soccer field.
They shared a field before. Why couldn't they now?

That's correct. According to some on here we didn't own that field out right. It was shared with Parks and Rec. But we have no team now and it looks like we aren't going to have one any time soon. Let's face it. Our love of the grid iron is taking money away from our other endeavors.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:38 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:16 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Where would our mens' soccer team play? Is the project at the old Watauga site finished (for soccer and track) ????? Doesn't seem like it would work having to share the present womens' soccer field.

That's correct. According to some on here we didn't own that field out right. It was shared with Parks and Rec. But we have no team now and it looks like we aren't going to have one any time soon. Let's face it. Our love of the grid iron is taking money away from our other endeavors.
Oh, I must have missed where we cut women's soccer too...

We do not own it outright. It is with a partnership with the local soccer association.

While we do spend the most on football -- the dropped male sports were more due to budget and Title IX. If it weren't for Title IX, we would have dropped Women's Golf and Field Hockey.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:02 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:38 pm
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:

We do not own it outright. It is with a partnership with the local soccer association.

While we do spend the most on football -- the dropped male sports were more due to budget and Title IX. If it weren't for Title IX, we would have dropped Women's Golf and Field Hockey.
I did not say nor imply we cut women's soccer. Title IX is a given thank goodness. No matter what, we don't have a men's soccer team. That is the bottom line.
Google SUX

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:03 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:02 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:

I did not say nor imply we cut women's soccer. Title IX is a given thank goodness. No matter what, we don't have a men's soccer team. That is the bottom line.
You literally said we don't have a team playing at that field but agree we do.. so which one is it?

And yes, I agree about Title IX
tAPPedInSports.net

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:17 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:03 pm
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

You literally said we don't have a team playing at that field but agree we do.. so which one is it?

But it is not just by help of a soccer club. Neither we nor Rec owns that field. The property is shared not just expenses of a team. Next post, I will give my final say.
Google SUX

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:24 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Appalachian will not drop field hockey or wrestling because of the history here at Appalachian. I mean App had women sports before most ACC schools had them. As far as football taking money away from other sports that is way off base, because football funds those other sports. If the revenue sports were the only ones that mattered we would have schools with only two sports, basketball and football.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:29 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:17 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:03 pm
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:

But it is not just by help of a soccer club. Neither we nor Rec owns that field. The property is shared not just expenses of a team. Next post, I will give my final say.
I don't even know what you're trying to say at this point....
tAPPedInSports.net

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:30 pm

We do not have a men's soccer team, whether we have a men's field or not. We do not have a men's soccer team whether we share a field with women's via Title IX or not. We do not have a men's soccer team whether the 105 site is as planned and completed or not.
Sorry, for the intentional repetition. We just do NOT have a men's soccer team no matter what at this point in time. Period. Exclamation point.
Google SUX

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:38 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:30 pm
We do not have a men's soccer team, whether we have a men's field or not. We do not have a men's soccer team whether we share a field with women's via Title IX or not. We do not have a men's soccer team whether the 105 site is as planned and completed or not.
Sorry, for the intentional repetition. We just do NOT have a men's soccer team no matter what at this point in time. Period. Exclamation point.
Nobody claimed otherwise.... Again, I am confused what you're trying to say.
tAPPedInSports.net

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:50 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:24 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Appalachian will not drop field hockey or wrestling because of the history here at Appalachian. I mean App had women sports before most ACC schools had them. As far as football taking money away from other sports that is way off base, because football funds those other sports. If the revenue sports were the only ones that mattered we would have schools with only two sports, basketball and football.
UNC Greensboro thought they would never see wrestling get the axe, until they did.

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:02 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:38 pm
Wasn't there a donor that offered to help bring back soccer? Is that donor still prepared to do this or have they moved on?
I seem to remember something like this but I have no idea if it is still an active offer or not.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:07 pm

AppWyo wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Many years ago, I remember reading on this board that the field hockey team was never going anywhere because it has long been fully funded through a dedicated alumni funding source. I don't know if that is or was true, and I could be misremembering it, since it was way back before I had daughters, much less teenaged ones interested in playing hockey at App, so I only half paid attention to field hockey related posts at the time.

As for football, I do not see how funding football the way we do could be anything but a big net positive for the entire athletic department, and the university as a whole. But I do wonder how comparable schools like JMU or Coastal can fund so many programs that win consistantly, including many top 25 level teams and national championships in "Olympic sports". What are they doing, and how can we emulate it?

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:37 am

Wait, so just to be clear do we have a men's soccer team? :D

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:13 am

Are individual sports tracked on specific balance sheets? The reason I ask is that men's basketball is often called a revenue sport (at App). If you begin with cost- coaching salaries, player scholarships, cost of attendance (I assume that's still an expense), variable costs (turning on the lights in HCC) and travel then add in revenue from ticket sales, direct donations and TV (is that much) and corporate sponsorship money for advertising is the sport actually making any money?

Leads me to a huge question- how many G5 athletic departments are running at a profit? Are we?

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:02 am

AppWyo wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Tell that to the students paying fees. There are currently 51 employees (Coaches and Support) with the football. So add that with all the other costs of football and all the upgrades done to KBS and it is not funding alot.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:22 am

May not take from other sports, just other divisions/departments on campus.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”