Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New role for (W) Soccer coach-- No longer head coach

YesAppCan
School: Appalachian State

New role for (W) Soccer coach-- No longer head coach

Unread post by YesAppCan » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:39 am

T-Dog

Re: New role for (W) Soccer coach-- No longer head coach

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:46 am

The team finished last in the league, at one point losing like 8 matches in a row all by one goal or in overtime. They did finish strong.

From a wins and losses perspective, I can understand the move. The program just hadn't made that upward bounce in recent years. Gillin's (again, rather cold) statement alludes to that.

Truly is a different era coming into App sports now as Ginipro is out after 15 years and Strickland out after 12 years within 24 hours of each other.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:03 am

Ginipro was on his own decision. First class all the way as a person and coach!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:45 am

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:52 am

I cant disagree with either move....plenty of time to get it done.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:40 pm

I was expecting this transaction last year at this time; so I missed it by a full year. Those eight straight 2021 regular season conference loses were just too illustrative of an ongoing issue that wasn't going to fix itself. Look for a lot of new faces in Mountaineer Black & Gold next August.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:46 pm

asu66 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:40 pm
I was expecting this transaction last year at this time; so I missed it by a full year. Those eight straight 2021 regular season conference loses were just too illustrative of an ongoing issue that wasn't going to fix itself. Look for a lot of new faces in Mountaineer Black & Gold next August.
It seems like there’s a Dept cultural shift coming to head post-COVID regarding standards and expectations for all head coaches. Glad she’s not pushed out altogether, so Athletics is not losing that experience.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:10 pm

This is what a good AD does.......It's tough but W's and L's matter

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:10 pm

VNova wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:46 pm
asu66 wrote:
It seems like there’s a Dept cultural shift coming to head post-COVID regarding standards and expectations for all head coaches. Glad she’s not pushed out altogether, so Athletics is not losing that experience.
What's her background though that would be a contributing factor to the overall athletic department? Is her husband still an employee leading the cheer team?

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:34 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:10 pm
This is what a good AD does.......It's tough but W's and L's matter
Agree,
I know a lot of first class people that are good folks but maybe they need to be in a different job/role. At some point the management has to hold the folks accountable for success, across the board, and that includes W/L. A sub .500 record over 12 yrs is simply not acceptable. Anyone with that record would have to know this decision was inevitable and long overdue.

I do wish them the best though.

todAy_i_give_my_All

Unread post by todAy_i_give_my_All » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:02 pm

There is definitely an audience for a competitive team up there. The semi-pro team had great atmosphere and I know many of those supporters will throw themselves behind the university team(s) as well!

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:56 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
VNova wrote:
asu66 wrote:
What's her background though that would be a contributing factor to the overall athletic department? Is her husband still an employee leading the cheer team?
Based on her bio, she was also a director-level administrator for various club level soccer orgs for a number of years, but I wouldn’t refer to that as a singular reason. I mean, she was charged with leading a program, staff, and team. Those skills translate over to a lot of different fields. While she may not have had the wins, she may have the respect and skills to lead other staff-side programs that need solid leadership.

LoyaltoAPP

Unread post by LoyaltoAPP » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:23 pm

ODU & Southern Miss both have competitive women's soccer programs. Conference play will heat up even more when they join the Sun Belt.
Loyal to APP 8-)

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:27 pm

the last couple of days feels like bloody sunday or Monday..when NFL coaches find out their fate after the last regular season game.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

todAy_i_give_my_All

Unread post by todAy_i_give_my_All » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:02 pm

VNova wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:56 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
VNova wrote:
asu66 wrote:
Based on her bio, she was also a director-level administrator for various club level soccer orgs for a number of years, but I wouldn’t refer to that as a singular reason. I mean, she was charged with leading a program, staff, and team. Those skills translate over to a lot of different fields. While she may not have had the wins, she may have the respect and skills to lead other staff-side programs that need solid leadership.
I spent a few years working with the local youth club there and crossed paths with her through that and also through the Olympic Development Program. In my opinion her strongest suit was organizational and administrative. Ran a tight, clean program from my persepctive...just missing the W's. I like the move.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:17 pm

I am somewhat surprised WBB got an extension if based on year in year out performance. W Soccer has underperformed for awhile. VB couldn't break into the tourney as they were so close a few years back but it appears that was a personal decision to step back.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”