Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App State Ice Hockey

ah59396
School: Appalachian State

App State Ice Hockey

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:21 pm

Ice Hockey is back for 2020 despite the difficulties with COVID. The team recently built a new website which features their schedule and roster. It looks like quite a solid lineup.

https://www.appstatehockey.org/

The team has existed for over 20 years and has won multiple Blue Ridge Hockey Conference Championships, now known as the East Coast Collegiate Hockey Association.

They had a merch blast a couple weeks ago and sold out quickly. However I believe they are looking to stock up again if anyone is interested in some awesome Yosef Hockey gear.
PHOTO-2020-11-03-05-32-46.jpg
Yosef
YNWA

SayYesToTheRock

Re: App State Ice Hockey

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Love the gear. I wish we had an indoor ice rink in Boone they could play at. I would have loved going to hockey games as a student.

Gillin is a former collegiate hockey player... it would be awesome to have NCAA hockey in Boone someday. Would fit our image as a mountain school.

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:59 pm

I’ve recently started to get more into hockey in the past year and will definitely be buying one of those jerseys. I’ll definitely be keeping up with them.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:10 pm

I think that I saw on Twitter that the store will be open Thanksgiving week.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:44 am

The schedule looks really solid. I ditto that we should have an ice house in Boone. I've been to a few UNCW games and they had an awesome atmosphere.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:46 am

ah59396 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:21 pm
Ice Hockey is back for 2020 despite the difficulties with COVID. The team recently built a new website which features their schedule and roster. It looks like quite a solid lineup.

https://www.appstatehockey.org/

The team has existed for over 20 years and has won multiple Blue Ridge Hockey Conference Championships, now known as the East Coast Collegiate Hockey Association.

They had a merch blast a couple weeks ago and sold out quickly. However I believe they are looking to stock up again if anyone is interested in some awesome Yosef Hockey gear.

PHOTO-2020-11-03-05-32-46.jpg
I hope they find a way to eventually have a snow capped A in lieu of victory Yosef on this. I think that would look awesome.

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:43 am

Glad to see others interested in App ice hockey. Always thought it was a shame they never installed glycol lines under the concrete in Holmes- what a missed opportunity! Solid schedule too. I'll be at the App Hockey games at the Greensboro Ice House if anyone wants to meet up.

Edit: Does anyone know where they practice? When I was a student, they drove to Charlotte. Looks like they play in Greensboro now, wondering if that's there home ice. If so- they looking for a coach? :D
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:00 pm

ShagNC wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:43 am
Glad to see others interested in App ice hockey. Always thought it was a shame they never installed glycol lines under the concrete in Holmes- what a missed opportunity! Solid schedule too. I'll be at the App Hockey games at the Greensboro Ice House if anyone wants to meet up.

Edit: Does anyone know where they practice? When I was a student, they drove to Charlotte. Looks like they play in Greensboro now, wondering if that's there home ice. If so- they looking for a coach? :D
Moving back to NC at the end of the month. May have to take you up on that.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:01 pm

ShagNC wrote:

The team likely practices at one of:

Winston-Salem
Xtreme Ice in Indian Trail
Pineville
Greensboro

Or if it was cold enough we got to skate at Sugar, but that was more just for fun.

Lenoir explored the possibility of building an arena after google set up shop in town, unfortunately that never came to be.

Boone would be exceptional if/when it ever happens. Despite it being a Club Sport, teams with rinks even near campus draw incredibly well.

Liberty has a rink on campus (Lahaye Ice Center) and this picture is a pretty standard crowd for their D1 club team:

I’m pretty confident if Boone had a rink, App could draw equally as well and likely make the jump to D1 club. For the time being we compte quite well in D3 considering the lack of local ice.
YNWA

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:31 pm

We used to have one ,
"the Polar Palace".

appyirish

Unread post by appyirish » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:00 pm

I love hockey and wish they were playing a game or two in the Raleigh area. I may attempt to catch a game.

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:45 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:01 pm
ShagNC wrote:

Winston-Salem
Pineville
Greensboro

Or if it was cold enough we got to skate at Sugar, but that was more just for fun.

Lenoir explored the possibility of building an arena after google set up shop in town, unfortunately that never came to be.

Boone would be exceptional if/when it ever happens. Despite it being a Club Sport, teams with rinks even near campus draw incredibly well.

Liberty has a rink on campus (Lahaye Ice Center) and this picture is a pretty standard crowd for their D1 club team:

I’m pretty confident if Boone had a rink, App could draw equally as well and likely make the jump to D1 club. For the time being we compte quite well in D3 considering the lack of local ice.
I played in Lahaye back when I was a midget. They had phenomenal facilities, and if I recall correctly, an olympic sized rink. I wonder if the Thunderbirds not playing forced the team to drive to GSO instead of Winston.
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:28 am

ShagNC wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:45 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:01 pm

Winston-Salem
Pineville
Greensboro

I played in Lahaye back when I was a midget. They had phenomenal facilities, and if I recall correctly, an olympic sized rink. I wonder if the Thunderbirds not playing forced the team to drive to GSO instead of Winston.
Agreed it’s a great place to play. Though last time I skated there Liberty kicked our ass.

You are correct on Winston, without the Tbirds they probably didn’t lay the sheet, so it’s unlikely they can practice there.

If I had to bet money I’d suspect they are practicing in Charlotte.

Either way they are always fun games and the team is usually competitive, despite being so far from any ice. Most everyone else we played was on ice 2x/week.
YNWA

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:53 pm

The team store has reopened and they have tons of cool gear for sale, including Yosef jerseys.

PLEASE NOTE: this is a team run merchandise offer, so shipping of items won’t be until after Christmas unfortunately. But buying gear helps keep them afloat.

https://jogsportswear.tuosystems.com/stores/appst2
YNWA

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:59 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:53 pm
The team store has reopened and they have tons of cool gear for sale, including Yosef jerseys.

PLEASE NOTE: this is a team run merchandise offer, so shipping of items won’t be until after Christmas unfortunately. But buying gear helps keep them afloat.

https://jogsportswear.tuosystems.com/stores/appst2
Just got myself and my friend a jersey . Thank you for the post!!
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:26 pm

Just received my jersey and these are incredible.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:00 pm

App_in_Maiden wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:26 pm
Just received my jersey and these are incredible.
They are great quality. Very pleased.
YNWA

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:12 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:31 pm
We used to have one ,
"the Polar Palace".
When did it shut down and where was it located? I have a vague memory of this when I was younger and had an aunt that lived in Boone and taught at Watauga High.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:47 am

What's with the blue on the jerseys?

I believe the Polar Palace was located near the shopping center where Food Lion and The Rock are now. I went there dozens and dozens of times when I was a kid. I think it closed in the 80's, but not really certain.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:15 am

If that's the one behind the Burger King , across from where "the Steer" was , then yes.I visit the Indian restaurant there now but that's about it....oh yeah , there was a hair cutting shop across the street where a genuine former Playboy Bunny (Chicago) was employeed.We became ummm really good friends.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”