High Country Christmas Trees

77SU
School: Samford

High Country Christmas Trees

Unread post by 77SU » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:18 am

Anyone on the board asssociated with High Country? They have been coming to Huntsville, AL for the last several years. Their trucks arrived this morning at a new spot that is down the hill from my house. Able to look out the kitchen window this morning to see the RV and the 18-wheeler.

Maddog1956
School: Appalachian State

Re: High Country Christmas Trees

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:46 am

77SU wrote:Anyone on the board asssociated with High Country? They have been coming to Huntsville, AL for the last several years. Their trucks arrived this morning at a new spot that is down the hill from my house. Able to look out the kitchen window this morning to see the RV and the 18-wheeler.
No but as a side note I did see a tree tractor and trailer turned on it's side in the "turn out" pile of dirt coming back from the western game sunday. First time I've ever seen one used.

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Maddog1956 wrote:
77SU wrote:Anyone on the board asssociated with High Country? They have been coming to Huntsville, AL for the last several years. Their trucks arrived this morning at a new spot that is down the hill from my house. Able to look out the kitchen window this morning to see the RV and the 18-wheeler.
No but as a side note I did see a tree tractor and trailer turned on it's side in the "turn out" pile of dirt coming back from the western game sunday. First time I've ever seen one used.
Saw that myself as I was coming down the mountain. There was still dust in the air when I passed by.

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:28 pm

kiddbrewer wrote:
Maddog1956 wrote:
Saw that myself as I was coming down the mountain. There was still dust in the air when I passed by.
I've always wondered were they ever used, but now I know.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Maddog1956 wrote:
kiddbrewer wrote:
Maddog1956 wrote:
Driver wasn't used to the area and used the wrong gear starting down the mountain Didn't try to downshift quick enough before he burned up his brakes. He was hurt pretty bad but is better.

Since I've been back I've responded to more than a dozen trucks in the sandboxes and there have been others when I was not available. The more truck traffic comes up the mountain the more new drivers come here and, even with all the warnings, they aren't used to the length of grades and we're getting more and more using the traps.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:27 pm

firemoose wrote:
Maddog1956 wrote:
kiddbrewer wrote:
Maddog1956 wrote:
Driver wasn't used to the area and used the wrong gear starting down the mountain Didn't try to downshift quick enough before he burned up his brakes. He was hurt pretty bad but is better.

Since I've been back I've responded to more than a dozen trucks in the sandboxes and there have been others when I was not available. The more truck traffic comes up the mountain the more new drivers come here and, even with all the warnings, they aren't used to the length of grades and we're getting more and more using the traps.
Which road out of town? and

How long does it take to open the traps back up?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:34 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
firemoose wrote:Driver wasn't used to the area and used the wrong gear starting down the mountain. Didn't try to downshift quick enough before he burned up his brakes. He was hurt pretty bad but is better.

Which road out of town? and

How long does it take to open the traps back up?
Hwy 421. He managed to hit the first trap that is just inside the Wilkes County line, just past the start of the second grade.

Opening them up requires that the wreck be removed, of course, then you have to re-grade and replace any sand blasted to the sides, getting the depth correct, and then you have to bring in some more sand to rebuild the berms that help to slow down the trucks. Normally they try to have the ramp redone within a day after the wreck has been removed, depending on how much damage was done. They often work overnight since traffic is less. DOT will assign extra crews to get it done faster since there is so much truck traffic coming in and out of Boone these days.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:51 am

I must have just missed this. I noticed the first trap going downhill was closed with a fence around it or was I imaging something.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:00 am

In 2012 I had the chance to be at the GaSo game. I ended up grabbing a bite to eat in North Wilkesboro after the game. It was the McDonald's actually. Anyway some GaSo fans were there as well, and they were asking me about the traps. We both were wearing our respective school colors. Then they asked why there were not any traps on the north-bound side going up the mountain. After about 30 minutes explaining the Physics behind it all I finally gave up and wished them well on their way back to Georgia.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:13 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:In 2012 I had the chance to be at the GaSo game. I ended up grabbing a bite to eat in North Wilkesboro after the game. It was the McDonald's actually. Anyway some GaSo fans were there as well, and they were asking me about the traps. We both were wearing our respective school colors. Then they asked why there were not any traps on the north-bound side going up the mountain. After about 30 minutes explaining the Physics behind it all I finally gave up and wished them well on their way back to Georgia.
Wow. Did they, perhaps, go by "Me and Ed"?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:13 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:I must have just missed this. I noticed the first trap going downhill was closed with a fence around it or was I imaging something.
They always cover the signs leading to a trap (so truckers won't try and use the damaged one) and close off the trap until the work is finished. There are usually two or more on each long grade with each one getting longer and steeper the further down you go.

I love the second post. Not many runaways going up the mountain. Usually that's blown engines and all that does is fling parts all over the place and make clean up a mess. Think big NASCAR wreck because that's what it's normally like. :roll:

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:35 am

The bad part is the trap usually end up freezing and it's like hitting a wall anyway or so I've heard.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”