No USA Olympic Competition for Caitlin Clark

Saint3333

Re: No USA Olympic Competition for Caitlin Clark

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:22 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:55 pm
So Coach Clark should play the sixth best receiver on offense if the sixth best receiver on the team has 10+ million X and Instagram followers as it helps the App. St. brand to make it more national... I hope not
We’ve surely never taken a kid on any sports team that had wealthy parents or grandparents.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:25 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:22 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
So Coach Clark should play the sixth best receiver on offense if the sixth best receiver on the team has 10+ million X and Instagram followers as it helps the App. St. brand to make it more national... I hope not
We’ve surely never taken a kid on any sports team that had wealthy parents or grandparents.
Did they start or play a lot? If so forgive my ignorance for not knowing the lineage of some of the athletes over the years. And I'm not saying that to be a wise guy either. I legit don't know.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:50 pm

Not that I’m aware of.

I don’t think CC would start or play a lot. The point is sometimes people make the team for other reasons.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:51 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:50 pm
Not that I’m aware of.

I don’t think CC would start or play a lot. The point is sometimes people make the team for other reasons.
I will say she handles all of this pretty well. Saw a quote today from her stating missing the team just gives her something to work for in the future. Never a sense of entitlement from her that I've witnessed.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:37 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:22 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Hmmm, not sure I remember a kid meeting both criteria...1.that was sixth on the depth chart and played and 2. that had a national following that moved the needle on the App. St. brand nationally...but I do not follow every sport.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:17 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:51 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Not that I’m aware of.

I will say she handles all of this pretty well. Saw a quote today from her stating missing the team just gives her something to work for in the future. Never a sense of entitlement from her that I've witnessed.
She's outwardly handling this better than her fans. It really does seem the media are making more of this in order to create a controversy to garner more eyes. I doubt any wbb has been under more scrutiny than CC.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:28 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:17 am
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:51 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Not that I’m aware of.

She's outwardly handling this better than her fans. It really does seem the media are making more of this in order to create a controversy to garner more eyes. I doubt any wbb has been under more scrutiny than CC.
I am a Clark fan. I hope she evolves into a superstar in the future. She is just not talented enough the court as of now compared to other US women that are more deserving IMO. She is a rookie. She needs time to develop. If she continues to work hard (which she seems to have the desire), she will be on many Olympic teams in the future. I look forward to seeing her develop.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:21 am

That's an Olympic sport? How 'bout that.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:31 am

She hasn't earned it yet. Relax folks.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:35 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:29 pm
[quoteWe are talking about a league that is spending 25M on private jets for the players when they could have more than doubled the salaries of the women with that extra money.
This is perhaps the best thought in this thread, bravo sir.
[/quote]

the teams had been flying commercial and security had become a problem. there had been incidents at the airports - that was why there was a push for charter flights -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:47 am

Great college basketball player, will probably be a very good pro. Personally I can’t watch much women’s basketball as it is awful at times for me- just my opinion. Overall I’ve had enough of the over exposure and the added garbage that was the fouls and what appears to be jealousy amongst other WNBA players. It’s gotten ridiculous.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:54 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:35 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:29 pm
[quoteWe are talking about a league that is spending 25M on private jets for the players when they could have more than doubled the salaries of the women with that extra money.
This is perhaps the best thought in this thread, bravo sir.
the teams had been flying commercial and security had become a problem. there had been incidents at the airports - that was why there was a push for charter flights -
[/quote]

Sure.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:55 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:47 am
Great college basketball player, will probably be a very good pro. Personally I can’t watch much women’s basketball as it is awful at times for me- just my opinion. Overall I’ve had enough of the over exposure and the added garbage that was the fouls and what appears to be jealousy amongst other WNBA players. It’s gotten ridiculous.
I'd argue the women's game is a purer form of basketball at the college level. Now the concentration of talent in the top 15 programs does make it tough to watch before the sweet 16.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:25 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:55 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:47 am
I'd argue the women's game is a purer form of basketball at the college level. Now the concentration of talent in the top 15 programs does make it tough to watch before the sweet 16.
There is a whole bunch of men’s hoops that has become bad to watch as well. I like to do some very low level sports betting and when I do basketball games I generally click on steals and blocks in addition to points, rebounds and assists. Unless I’m missing something when I select a WNBA game there is never the option to pick any defensive stat. I’ve seen that there are lots of turnovers in those games.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:57 am

Here's my take.

1) Pro sports are entertainment industries like the movie industry. They need stars or personalities to draw viewers. Clark provides that so it would be smart for them to maximize this situation to help them market their product. Some folks in the WNBA don't seem to get it. The NBA capitalized when Larry Bird Magic Johnson emerged and they did a great job of marketing those guys. The womens Olympic basketball these days are merely extensions of WNBA and womens college basketball so they should have been smarter for their own good.

2) In the past guys that came out of college men's basketball that were top players also were chosen to the Olympic teams even after pros started playing. In the men's game, there is NO WAY they would have excluded the men's college top scorer on the Olympic team.

Folks can debate about and there are arguments from both sides but for me based on the above it is a no-brainer that she should have made the team.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:45 am

+ I haven't watched the WNBA much over the years however I have watched several games this season - I have limited experience with the players but I have Never seen anyone who has the range and accuracy on 3s than Caitlin - that could come into play in any close games ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:06 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:57 am
Here's my take.

1) Pro sports are entertainment industries like the movie industry. They need stars or personalities to draw viewers. Clark provides that so it would be smart for them to maximize this situation to help them market their product. Some folks in the WNBA don't seem to get it. The NBA capitalized when Larry Bird Magic Johnson emerged and they did a great job of marketing those guys. The womens Olympic basketball these days are merely extensions of WNBA and womens college basketball so they should have been smarter for their own good.

2) In the past guys that came out of college men's basketball that were top players also were chosen to the Olympic teams even after pros started playing. In the men's game, there is NO WAY they would have excluded the men's college top scorer on the Olympic team.

Folks can debate about and there are arguments from both sides but for me based on the above it is a no-brainer that she should have made the team.
1992 was the last time a collegiate player made the Men's U.S. Olympic team. Better to bite the bullet now rather listening to all her fans, most of whom no little of the women's game, complain when she doesn't start or play the number of minutes they think should be playing. Again, she seems to be handling this in a much more mature fashion than many of her supporters.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:36 pm

Would rather see her than 41 year old Diana Tarusi who has stats slightly less that CC's. BUT im not exercised about it. larry Bird had no biz on the last team he played on he could barely walk BUT it was a reward.........

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:27 pm

It's all about jealousy and sexual preference and something else.
BLACK SATURDAY

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:26 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:27 pm
It's all about jealousy and sexual preference and something else.
You could have stopped at jealousy and probably had a point. The rest, as if your "something else" isn't hard to figure out...a bit silly.

Yet Sabrina Ionescu and Kelsey Plum are on the team somehow?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”