Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNC- Accreditor at odds with Board of Trustees.

Appst86
School: Appalachian State

UNC- Accreditor at odds with Board of Trustees.

Unread post by Appst86 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:01 am

Interesting WSJ Op/Ed on UNC's plan to create the new School of Civic Life and Leadership without the blessing of the faculty. I tend to side with the BoT on this one.

Former University of Chicago President Hanna Holborn Gray once said that a school of higher learning “should not be intended to make people comfortable, it is meant to make them think.” The UNC trustees believe in that principle even if too many on the faculty don’t.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-univer ... _permalink

mike87

Re: UNC- Accreditor at odds with Board of Trustees.

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:02 am

Saw that as well. Win-Win situation, either get some checks on the crazy at the Cheat or they lose accreditation.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:49 pm

Appst86 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:01 am
Interesting WSJ Op/Ed on UNC's plan to create the new School of Civic Life and Leadership without the blessing of the faculty. I tend to side with the BoT on this one.

Former University of Chicago President Hanna Holborn Gray once said that a school of higher learning “should not be intended to make people comfortable, it is meant to make them think.” The UNC trustees believe in that principle even if too many on the faculty don’t.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-univer ... _permalink
If this new school is only the mouthpiece for one side then it is no better for "making them think."
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:23 pm

Yeah, college was fun. But was also one of the most difficult things I did in my life. And I'm better for the experience, which is probably fairly consistent with what y'all would say as well.

Human nature is to stay in our comfort zone. But moving outside of our comfort zone, being challenged and struggling to overcome obstacles is why we have things like civilization, microwave popcorn and professional sports.

When I see a plan like this, it's pretty clear they don't want people to think or be comfortable; they want to train automatons.
You can put lipstick on this pig, but any way you paint it, she is still a sow.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”