Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

McLeansvilleApp

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

McLeansvilleApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:07 pm

By any chance have you ever been to any of these:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/12- ... world.html
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: McLeansvilleApp

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:22 pm

I have not. Likely the darkest sky I have seen would be the Outer Banks or Dark Sky Observatory. I did drive back from Richmond over Christmas and took the US 360 and was close to Staunton River State Park in Virginia and that was a dark sky for the Piedmont area of the eastern seaboard. The Chapel Hill Astro Club have a star party at this state park and I see why, as it was a dark sky.

I actually went that way as I was tired of the interstate and figured I would see some railroads, which I did. The dark sky was a bonus.

The Triad Star Fest, TriStar, is being held the first Saturday of March at GTCC in Jamestown. One of our speakers is from a local dark sky park, at least I think it is an official dark sky. Dr. Caton heads up the NC section of the International Dark Sky Association.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:21 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:22 pm
I have not. Likely the darkest sky I have seen would be the Outer Banks or Dark Sky Observatory. I did drive back from Richmond over Christmas and took the US 360 and was close to Staunton River State Park in Virginia and that was a dark sky for the Piedmont area of the eastern seaboard. The Chapel Hill Astro Club have a star party at this state park and I see why, as it was a dark sky.

I actually went that way as I was tired of the interstate and figured I would see some railroads, which I did. The dark sky was a bonus.

The Triad Star Fest, TriStar, is being held the first Saturday of March at GTCC in Jamestown. One of our speakers is from a local dark sky park, at least I think it is an official dark sky. Dr. Caton heads up the NC section of the International Dark Sky Association.
I agree about the outer banks. I don't know about the Dark Sky observatory because i don't see how even the lights of Hickory and Lenoir and the Wilkesboros could be over come. I remember in the70's on the Parkway, there was still enough light pollution to interfere with viewing.
When I was a wee fellow, I lived in Anson County. Every night was like a dark sky. When there was no moon, you couldn't even see an outline of your hand a foot from your face. The Milky Way was so obvious. Same thing down in the Dismal Swamp back in the early 90's.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:04 pm

Google dark sky map of United States. Mouth of Wilson, VA is supposed to be very dark. I have not been there yet but have been meaning to go there to see.

Also if you can ever make it to Fort Jefferson boat ride to state park on island off the end of Key west 60 miles out in middle of ocean. Awesome sky and awesome snorkeling in the day. Highly recommended

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:46 am

No, no — 360 sucks. Tell your friends.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:35 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:21 pm

I agree about the outer banks. I don't know about the Dark Sky observatory because i don't see how even the lights of Hickory and Lenoir and the Wilkesboros could be over come. I remember in the70's on the Parkway, there was still enough light pollution to interfere with viewing.
When I was a wee fellow, I lived in Anson County. Every night was like a dark sky. When there was no moon, you couldn't even see an outline of your hand a foot from your face. The Milky Way was so obvious. Same thing down in the Dismal Swamp back in the early 90's.
One can see the lights from Wilkesboro but the immediate area is pretty dark which helps.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:44 am

AppinVA wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:46 am

No, no — 360 sucks. Tell your friends.
I am not sure how much longer it would take me going this was as I stopped for gas, then bathroom then I diverted through downtown South Boston, and then over to see where the Amtrak station was in Danville, and by this point it was late and I ended up driving around Reidsville looking for a place that was open the day after Christmas and that late.

I have not looked it up but I assume the railroad that runs beside the road at times is the original Richmond & Danville that became the Southern and then what we have now with the modern Norfolk Southern.

I’ll not tell my friends of 360 but I am definitely taking this route again minus some of my side excursions. I take Amtrak once a year generally as my Amtrak credit card gives me a free companion ticket and we drive the other time(s).

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:43 am

I’m sure that’s right (about the railroad), and I think some of the track you see from the highway is operated by Buckingham Branch. At least I have seen their engines on them. You also might be interested in a side trip to a rails to trails park — High Bridge State Park in Farmville. The view from the bridge gives me a false mountain fix when I don’t have the time to get to God’s Country.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:50 am

Went on a dive trip to Little Cayman one time. At that time the island had 3 hotels that only had generates for power. They shut down most of the lights at 10:00pm. Waited until then and swam out into the ocean about 100 yards and floated on my back, there are no words.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:59 am

The ocean at night is a humbling experience.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:17 pm

In my opinion, this may be one of the oddest threads on Yosef’s Cabin.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:36 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:17 pm
At least it's not about a dead celebrity. It's gone down a black hole into a very dark place.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:58 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:50 am
Went on a dive trip to Little Cayman one time. At that time the island had 3 hotels that only had generates for power. They shut down most of the lights at 10:00pm. Waited until then and swam out into the ocean about 100 yards and floated on my back, there are no words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn8ZiKuiN6E

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:17 pm

Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:58 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
No alcohol, two reasons, a bunch of respect for how quick the ocean can kill you. The other is a thing I have about travel. I can get drunk at home, so why would I spend a bunch of money to go somewhere cool and miss half of it because I was drunk or hung over.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:23 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:17 pm
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:58 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
No alcohol, two reasons, a bunch of respect for how quick the ocean can kill you. The other is a thing I have about travel. I can get drunk at home, so why would I spend a bunch of money to go somewhere cool and miss half of it because I was drunk or hung over.
I just appreciate being able to post a Simpsons clip before AppinVa.

I also appreciate having a thread ALL about me and my (near) username.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:13 am

Been to several dark sky areas out west.
Highly recommend. Amazing.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:20 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:36 pm
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:17 pm
At least it's not about a dead celebrity. It's gone down a black hole into a very dark place.
Just to elaborate, the topic itself is not odd and is actually interesting, just odd that it is being discussed on this platform. And yes, there are other threads that are disastrous making ones like this being needed to provide balance.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:10 pm

I am always here to provide balance, even if I am the one stoking the fires at times. And many do consider me odd as well.

App State does have the best public outreach for astronomy in the state. UNCG is nice but what we offer is dark sky and facilities is nicer. Difference types of scopes but both are 32 inch so that both can claim biggest in the state.

NCSU did a bit pre-Covid with public outreach but I have not heard from them in a good bit. The location was not in a great sport compared to UNCG and especially Dark Sky for App State.

Dr. Caton is a wonderful person for all the outreach he does and deserves much more recognition in my view.

Edit: I had 323 inch scope. Both schools would love that but they are 32 inch scopes.
Last edited by McLeansvilleAppFan on Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:11 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:13 am
Been to several dark sky areas out west.
Highly recommend. Amazing.
Some small towns use it as a tourist attraction. The save money on street lights AND make money on the tourism draw. Brillant.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:35 pm

What dark place is Aaron Rodgers going to?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”