Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Question for those who watch soccer

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Question for those who watch soccer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:38 am

I watch the World Cup and other major tournaments so I have a limited base of knowledge. My question regards non-contact knee injuries. From what I can remember all the major matches are played on grass (I know they stuck the women on artificial turf previously) whereas many of the NFL games are played on turf. I didn't watch every WC match but did view many of them and I did not see one non-contact knee injury whereas just about every NFL game has them. I know the NFL players association wants all games played on grass (not going to happen, of course) but wanted to see what you guys think
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Question for those who watch soccer

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:46 am

Soccer is famous for non-contact injuries.

Oh, you’re talking actual injuries. ;)
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:49 am

Yep - I'm not talking about the guys who roll over 5 times on the ground after getting a toe stepped on - actual non-contact knee injuries
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:50 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:38 am
I watch the World Cup and other major tournaments so I have a limited base of knowledge. My question regards non-contact knee injuries. From what I can remember all the major matches are played on grass (I know they stuck the women on artificial turf previously) whereas many of the NFL games are played on turf. I didn't watch every WC match but did view many of them and I did not see one non-contact knee injury whereas just about every NFL game has them. I know the NFL players association wants all games played on grass (not going to happen, of course) but wanted to see what you guys think
Yes. It’s a big deal. All of the major soccer leagues mandate all games are played on grass. Less non contact injuries and less risk of head injuries. In fact, part of the uswnt lawsuit against us soccer was due to how many more games they played on artificial turf compared to the men (it was a lot).

It makes even more sense for nfl players to play on grass since they are so much heavier than soccer players and putting much more stress on their joints when they pivot

I know that Western Europe is much more conducive to maintaining grass fields,but I’m pretty shocked this hasn’t been part of the CBA to mandate all grass fields.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:56 am

I played a lot of soccer on "grass"....I much prefer it.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:13 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:56 am
Seems to be a lot less lateral cutting in soccer. Also, the guys playing soccer are better built proportionately, or so it seems. Stronger legs with less overall body mass. Is this a correct assumption?

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:33 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:49 am
Yep - I'm not talking about the guys who roll over 5 times on the ground after getting a toe stepped on - actual non-contact knee injuries
I appreciate the humor and I used to say the same thing, but that was before I learned that many, if not most, pro soccer players wear boots with metal nubs. I would imagine that getting stepped on with those is quite painful for a short time. I know that I'm pretty much paralyzed when I kick a furniture leg with any of my toes. I'm all for criticizing the agony displayed on ghost contact but a stepped on foot or shin scrape with metal cleats is another matter all together.

I think there are multiple reasons for the lack of knee injuries but playing on natural grass has to be better than artificial turf.
WE ARE YOSEF!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:42 pm

The Men's World Cup is mandated to be on real grass. And Qatar really worked to keep their grass up like the western European nations do.

The Women's World Cup is now mandated to be on grass. It was on turf in 2015 in Canada and that was a controversy. The Australia/New Zealand Women's World Cup this summer will be on grass.

Carolina Panthers' players have complained about the turf at BOA. Tepper changed to turf to save costs and host more concerts. That could be a collective bargaining point for their next players association contract.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:03 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:42 pm
The Men's World Cup is mandated to be on real grass. And Qatar really worked to keep their grass up like the western European nations do.

The Women's World Cup is now mandated to be on grass. It was on turf in 2015 in Canada and that was a controversy. The Australia/New Zealand Women's World Cup this summer will be on grass.

Carolina Panthers' players have complained about the turf at BOA. Tepper changed to turf to save costs and host more concerts. That could be a collective bargaining point for their next players association contract.
Billionaire’s pinching pennies.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:13 pm

I have seen more non-contact injuries coaching my youth soccer players on our turf fields than I have on our grass fields. In fact, last year I tore my calf muscle in half on the turf just turning during one of our scrimmages. Of course, I am 45 years old and trying to keep up with teenagers. I will say that the game moves faster on turf than on grass (ball will roll a country mile on turf).

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:17 pm

Which has the highest percentage of success- a college length extra point or a penalty kick in soccer (at a WC level)? An XP can be shanked or blocked but the overall success rate has to be at or above 90%. I guess a keeper can guess correctly and dive to side of the kick or one can simply go high or wide but it seems like a PK has the highest rate of success.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:49 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:17 pm
Which has the highest percentage of success- a college length extra point or a penalty kick in soccer (at a WC level)? An XP can be shanked or blocked but the overall success rate has to be at or above 90%. I guess a keeper can guess correctly and dive to side of the kick or one can simply go high or wide but it seems like a PK has the highest rate of success.
It rarely happens that when a team takes 5 pks in a shootout, that they make all five of them. Thus, at best its around 80%. I would say EPs are made at a higher rate.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:05 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:42 pm

It wasn't just for concerts. Tepper wanted a more consistent surface for soccer. Most of his changes to BOA have been in support of soccer.

https://www.panthers.com/news/new-playi ... ca-stadium

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:40 pm

Rekdiver

Smoking a rug just doesn’t quite give the same effects. 🥴

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:04 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:56 am
I see what you did there!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”