Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Matt McMahon

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Matt McMahon

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:54 pm

Watched the LSU/Wake game today. LSU is 8-1 and beat a decent Wake team by 2. He’s got 2 studs on his team and he’s also got a NC State transfer that was good at one time, Cam Hayes. Looks like he has a legitimate shot at making NCAA tournament in his first year. What’s remarkable is I remember almost the entire team entered the portal when he was announced as LSU’s coach. Looks like that ended up being a good thing for him.

Cro-Magnon App

Re: Matt McMahon

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:54 pm

I’ve watched LSU 3x on telly. Never thought I’d pull for them (pulled hard against them when Dale Brown was there and then this last crook they just fired) but I pull for them now. Matt is a good guy. And we hired Capel.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:27 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:54 pm
I’ve watched LSU 3x on telly. Never thought I’d pull for them (pulled hard against them when Dale Brown was there and then this last crook they just fired) but I pull for them now. Matt is a good guy. And we hired Capel.
Hard to imagine how good we could have been…think we finished 2nd in conference the year Buzz left and returned everyone. Had we had a capable coach, not a Capel-bull coach

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:03 am

The Capel hire was terrible, nobody denies that. Firing Fancher, in retrospect, was terrible -- nobody denies that. Cobb was a terrible AD for us, nobody denies that. But, when you have a donor that says "I will double your basketball budget if you hire Capel" and you know you're on the way out because you can't manage a budget to save your life, you take it.

What got me was when Cobb introduced Capel and said "all the players wanted him to be the guy" and the camera went to Sims and he was shaking his head no.

Cobb really screwed the basketball program. And it's not because of the Capel hire (of course that played a large part). It's because he took all funding away from them to spend on football. Cobb screwed literally every athletic program not named Football.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:19 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:03 am
The Capel hire was terrible, nobody denies that. Firing Fancher, in retrospect, was terrible -- nobody denies that. Cobb was a terrible AD for us, nobody denies that. But, when you have a donor that says "I will double your basketball budget if you hire Capel" and you know you're on the way out because you can't manage a budget to save your life, you take it.

What got me was when Cobb introduced Capel and said "all the players wanted him to be the guy" and the camera went to Sims and he was shaking his head no.

Cobb really screwed the basketball program. And it's not because of the Capel hire (of course that played a large part). It's because he took all funding away from them to spend on football. Cobb screwed literally every athletic program not named Football.
Amen. Set baseball up for failure. That guy sucked. Jones was a worse hire than capel, and that’s hard to beat.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:30 am

AppStateNews wrote:

Please don’t speak for me when you say “nobody”. You obviously have some deep resentment against Charlie Cobb so I’ll stay away from that. That’s a problem you’ll have to work out personally. You were apparently not around App State Athletics “BC”(before Cobb). I would call those years the “dark ages” . NOTHING absolutely NOTHING was done for athletics for more than 20 years. During the Cobb years things began to happen. His very first home football game drew 20,000! Hell, I’d say we hadn’t had 20,000 for 15 years. It was like a “ new day” had dawned in APP STATE athletics. New Soccer pitch, new baseball facility and App became a National Brand. I would say that Capel and Jones were poor hires but it’s not like we have ever had much success in either sport in the modern era. Furthermore Fancher was just average. If average is what you want then maybe releasing Fancher was bad- personally I want better that average! Cobb could have had input on the Pollard hire. ( I’ll stand corrected on that as they both came to APP at about the same time as I recall - I’m old so memory runs things together some times ). I can’t address the budget accusation as I’m not privy to that information but from my perspective Charlie Cobb did super job as AD and up until this point it appears he has done a good job at Ga. State.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:30 am

AppStateNews wrote:

Please don’t speak for me when you say “nobody”. You obviously have some deep resentment against Charlie Cobb so I’ll stay away from that. That’s a problem you’ll have to work out personally. You were apparently not around App State Athletics “BC”(before Cobb). I would call those years the “dark ages” . NOTHING absolutely NOTHING was done for athletics for more than 20 years. During the Cobb years things began to happen. His very first home football game drew 20,000! Hell, I’d say we hadn’t had 20,000 for 15 years. It was like a “ new day” had dawned in APP STATE athletics. New Soccer pitch, new baseball facility and App became a National Brand. I would say that Capel and Jones were poor hires but it’s not like we have ever had much success in either sport in the modern era. Furthermore Fancher was just average. If average is what you want then maybe releasing Fancher was bad- personally I want better that average! Cobb could have had input on the Pollard hire. ( I’ll stand corrected on that as they both came to APP at about the same time as I recall - I’m old so memory runs things together some times ). I can’t address the budget accusation as I’m not privy to that information but from my perspective Charlie Cobb did super job as AD and up until this point it appears he has done a good job at Ga. State.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:03 am

Firing Fancher was the right call, he wasn’t going to get App over the hump. Great guy, average program builder.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:06 am

Firing Fancher may have been the right call. But firing Fancher because a donor says "I'm paying for a tar heel to be the coach" is not the right call.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:47 am

Anyways, proud of Matt. He lost a lot of existing players at LSU before he even started and already has them competitive.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:41 pm

"Houston we have a problem Fancher", meltdown after SOCON tournament meltdown. Almost always performed below capabilities.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:14 pm

Met Matt McMahon at a basketball camp back in the days. He was a pretty cool guy. I've pulled for him since he became a head coach.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:27 pm

was in the same store with cobb today in charleston shopping. all i could do was laugh.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:50 pm

311neers wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:27 pm
was in the same store with cobb today in charleston shopping. all i could do was laugh.
Was he wearing an orange sweater?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:23 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:06 am
Firing Fancher may have been the right call. But firing Fancher because a donor says "I'm paying for a tar heel to be the coach" is not the right call.
Is this hear say or documented quote.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:28 pm

311neers wrote:
It wasn’t his twin brother was it? Last I heard he was living on Daniel Island.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:38 am

mountaineerman wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:23 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Is this hear say or documented quote.

Good question!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:07 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Truly disgusting. Paying for a basketball practice facility is literally the least you can do.

I would also suggest 15 Hail Armanti’s

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:28 am

appfanz wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:28 pm
311neers wrote:
It wasn’t his twin brother was it? Last I heard he was living on Daniel Island.
Interesting, didn't know they had a house here. It was Charlie and Lindsay. I played under him for 3 years and took a class with him. I moved to atlanta after graduation in 2016 and tried to go tour Turner field on a Friday at like 10am middle of summer with an App teammate. This was just after the renovation. We walked thru the gates and got yelled at by Cobb and staff. We introduced ourselves again, had a conversation about app state and that I played there and he didnt care, kicked me out, told me to leave hahaha. Never liked him at app and definitely have no respect for him after this incident in Atlanta.

I let me bulldog drool on his shoe in the store ;) Go APPS!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:17 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:03 am
Firing Fancher was the right call, he wasn’t going to get App over the hump. Great guy, average program builder.

And replaced by a UNC backed hire??? Are you serious or do you secretly or subconsciously have Carolina Blue blood?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”