Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

World Cup

goapps93

Re: World Cup

Unread post by goapps93 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:54 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:15 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:23 pm
Now I have to figure out who to root for.
The Three Lions
That’s who I’m leaning toward.
WE ARE YOSEF!

ASUTodd
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:05 pm

England is def one of my top picks. Portugal is as well. I would get behind a Japanese or South Korea run as well. This years World Cup has been full of surprises. The Moroccan team being one. England, Morocco, Netherlands, and Croatia are the remaining undefeated teams.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:25 am

No Italians, Germans, Belgians…
France, England Argentina Brazil Spain Netherlands the old guard…
Morocco South Korea,Japan Senegal Switzerland Poland the upstarts
The US is now in the mix and I will be at matches in 2026

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:52 am

I do not follow closely other than many of same teams seem to be in mix with a few upsets... similar to above, would love to see the extreme underdog win it all since USA is out.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:53 pm

The Dutch

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:21 pm

I honestly can see any of the remaining teams winning.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:17 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:38 pm
Our elite athletes (huge majority) funnel into football, basketball and baseball - a huge majority in Europe play soccer - we took trains thru Europe years ago but every small town, medium size or cities we passed had several soccer fields visible from the train. Very few if any basketball goals ---
We still have 10x the amount of kids playing soccer than countries like France. There were several analysts on ESPN’s soccer show, ESPN FC saying that. It’s all about coaching here and the way we operate with youth sports compared to most countries. We’ll get there but just takes time.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:19 pm

Rooting for Croatia. Modric has always been my favorite player so I’d love to see him win one, but I’d be shocked if it’s not France or Brazil. I don’t see this Argentina team being able to pull it out.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:25 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:45 am
The fact that those who don't like or understand soccer go out of their way to disparage the game is also a problem. Think of the athletes who might be great soccer players who never play the sport because their parents or some other influential person in their lives who hates soccer, for no reason other than ignorance and/o stubbornness, forbids them from or talks them out of playing. Heck, I heard it last night during the App/Charlotte bball game. The jerk that you could hear yelling the entire game was accusing Xavion Brown of acting like a soccer player when was clearly elbowed in face and went down. Americans, in general, have a horrible attitude about soccer.
Was talking to a friend of mine the other day discussing this topic. It’s some strange American only complex that they either feel threatened by it because we’re not as good as other countries or they just truly don’t want to like it because we didn’t invent it. Idk when it started, but it’s a real thing. I think those people are slowly dying out but it’s going to take a few decades to weed out those opinions. I didn’t like it until I was 15 or so and have loved it more and more every year.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:31 pm

I'll readily admit that I know very little about soccer but it's not like the game just migrated to the US a year ago. I'm 59 and played it some as a kid and a year in high school a little over 40 years ago. It's been prevalent in college and we have pro leagues (albeit with foreign players but still). Haven't we had long enough to advance with our development if we really care enough to be a dominant player in the sport? We owned baseball and basketball forever but over the same 40ish years many countries have caught up with us (or surpassed) in baseball and on many occasions we have gotten embarrassed in basketball.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:36 pm

If you compare the level of development of EU countries and the US we aren’t close to creating the environment they have built.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:40 pm

Soccer is in their blood. In the UK especially, every town has a soccer team in one of the many levels of pro and semi pro soccer. Some have multiple teams in several different leagues. The US doesn’t have that.
WE ARE YOSEF!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:48 pm

Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:17 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:38 pm
Our elite athletes (huge majority) funnel into football, basketball and baseball - a huge majority in Europe play soccer - we took trains thru Europe years ago but every small town, medium size or cities we passed had several soccer fields visible from the train. Very few if any basketball goals ---
We still have 10x the amount of kids playing soccer than countries like France. There were several analysts on ESPN’s soccer show, ESPN FC saying that. It’s all about coaching here and the way we operate with youth sports compared to most countries. We’ll get there but just takes time.
Just an observation and opinion of someone with 23 seasons and counting of high school sports.

Travel ball sucks. For every good coach there are ten bad ones just using the system for some quick cash or some semblance of glory. What travel ball has become has heavily degraded youth sports and the fundamental growth of children in sports. Other nations treat youth sports first with fun and then with academy type sport systems instead of the pyramid travel ball system. Theirs is about development. Ours is about money.

Public schools across the nation have had to fire or not replace retired community coaches. In their stead they have to throw in teachers or other school employees. This has been due to a myriad of reasons from lawsuits to insurance. The drawback is that it eliminates thousands of great coaches across the country from getting to develop our youth because of the few bad apples. The poor sucker teachers who happen to have a bus lisence get tossed in to coach and learn on the fly whatever sport they get voluntold to coach.

The stigma of soccer as a pussy sport is fading. As the hard knocks style of playing sports is fading in our culture with the castrating of defenses across all major sports to the point that if you give someone a mean look lebron will flop even if he isn't in the stadium. Seriously, he just starts flopping randomly in his daily life. We've had people warm up a lot more to soccer. A trend I've seen as well with good youth athletes is that they, and their parents, would like them to be able to speak in coherent sentences by the time they are 40 so they are starting to avoid football in favor of soccer, basketball, and baseball.

The MLS has to up it's game so that they can up their pay to attract more top flight players. The professional soccer leagues in America just aren't as appealing to college athletes as many choose to take their degree and move on. How often do you hear college soccer coaches complaining about "one and dones" using them to get to the pros?

We will get better in the coming decades, but as many of y'all have pointed out, we need a full system overhaul.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:49 pm

Daze I agree travel sports has become a place where you pay to play. Tryouts all too often are does the check clear.

Every step with them is a money grab, hotels, tournament fees, trips to tourist areas.

Sad.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:26 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:49 pm
Daze I agree travel sports has become a place where you pay to play. Tryouts all too often are does the check clear.

Every step with them is a money grab, hotels, tournament fees, trips to tourist areas.

Sad.
My youngest boys played baseball and we did the whole travel thing for years. I also umpired for several years. While most of the play part was fun we saw our share of the over-the-top delusional parents and "WAY" too serious coaches along with insane parents. I'm sure travel soccer is pretty similar. The tryout aspect was indeed pretty funny. I can't recall too many parents being told that Little Johnny wasn't good enough to be on a team.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:16 pm

The constant singing/chanting during the Japan made me turn the sound off --
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:17 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:16 pm
The constant singing/chanting during the Japan made me turn the sound off --
Apparently, Japan turned the game off as well...

Looks like South Korea is checking out as well. Brazil is a stacked team.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:28 pm

You don’t watch too manyEuropean matches or Premiership match nes do you?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:49 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:28 pm
did you watch the game in question?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:02 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:49 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:28 pm
did you watch the game in question?
I did and it was just background noise to me. It's common in many pro leagues. Even in MLS. I watched an Austin FC MLS playoff match and the band played non-stop, with singing.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”