Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

World Cup

ASUTodd
School: Appalachian State

Re: World Cup

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:13 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:50 am
OK World Cup experts - I have a couple of questions - First, we watched the first half of the USA game before going to pick-up our granddaughter and We totally dominated and then we saw the final score - I know it was on a PK, but what the hell happened? Secondly, we know this is better than a loss, but how much does this really hurt the USA chance of moving on? We do always try to watch the World Cup matches and I do know a little about soccer (our daughter played travel soccer, high school and ODP) but I just couldn't understand the US strategy after scoring the first goal - it was like they went into a "4 corners" to play keep away instead of continuing to attack? I mean Wales didn't even sniff a scoring chance in the 1st half - it's puzzling to an average soccer fan???
The US did not do what the Saudia Arabian team did today...... they didn't keep the pressure on the opposing team. They pulled back and played to defend the win, not go get the win. Then a stupid, unneeded, penalty in the box... on Gareth Bale (of all people).... and there you have it..... tie game. As far as hurting the chances of advancing, overall if a team draws there is a 58.7% chance they can advance. It may come down to goal differential in the US group. Here is an excerpt from MLSsoccer.com :

Scenarios The US can neither advance nor be fully eliminated after they face England on Black Friday – the day after Thanksgiving – at Al Bayt Stadium in Qatar (2 pm ET | FOX, Telemundo).

However, the result will play a massive role in their overall chances. Below is a breakdown of the United States' likelihood to advance based on potential point totals after all three of their matches – already carrying one point:

7 points (win next two matches): ADVANCE
5 points (win one match, draw the other): Almost definitely ADVANCE
4 points (win one match, lose the other): Could ADVANCE but need results to go their way
3 points (draw next two matches): Almost definitely ELIMINATED
2 points (draw one match, lose the other): ELIMINATED
1 point (lose both matches): ELIMINATED
And here is a breakdown of their specific clinching scenarios depending on the result against England.

US beat England:
Advance to Round of 16 with a draw or win against Iran.
US draw England:
Advance to Round of 16 in most, but not all, scenarios with a win against Iran.
Eliminated in most, but not all, scenarios with a draw against Iran.
Eliminated with a loss against Iran.
US lose to England:
Could advance to Round of 16 with a win against Iran, depending on results in other group stage games.
Eliminated with a draw or loss against Iran.
Tiebreakers
In order of priority:

Goal differential
Goals scored
Head-to-head result
Goal differential in matches between tied teams (only in three-way tie)
Goals scored in matches between tied teams (only in three-way tie)
Fair play tiebreaker (based on negative points for yellow and red cards)
Drawing lots
Regardless of Friday's result, the USMNT will still have a chance to qualify for the Round of 16 when they meet Iran on Tuesday, Nov. 29 (2 pm ET | FOX, Telemundo).

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:58 pm

Really disappointed in Poland. Lewandowski is one of my favorite players and I know he wants that penalty kick back.....

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:11 pm

Aussies up early. Please, please, please hold on against Pepi Le Pew
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:46 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:11 pm
Aussies up early. Please, please, please hold on against Pepi Le Pew
Haven't done it, the French have come roaring back up 2-1 near the end of the first.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:48 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:50 am
OK World Cup experts - I have a couple of questions - First, we watched the first half of the USA game before going to pick-up our granddaughter and We totally dominated and then we saw the final score - I know it was on a PK, but what the hell happened? Secondly, we know this is better than a loss, but how much does this really hurt the USA chance of moving on? We do always try to watch the World Cup matches and I do know a little about soccer (our daughter played travel soccer, high school and ODP) but I just couldn't understand the US strategy after scoring the first goal - it was like they went into a "4 corners" to play keep away instead of continuing to attack? I mean Wales didn't even sniff a scoring chance in the 1st half - it's puzzling to an average soccer fan???
Wales play Iran next. If they win and we lose to England, then immense pressure on the U.S. to beat Iran. Of course, we will know what we need to score to match what Wales did versus Iran. Of course, that's predicated on England beating Wales.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:56 pm

Anyone curious about the extra time in this Cup? It seems every game has at least 6-8 minutes of added time in one half or the other. I get it in the England-Iran game for the injured keeper but otherwise it seems excessive to me.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:32 pm

Def had some long extra time. So far I can't complain about the refs. They seem to be doing fairly good.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:35 pm

Welp I said 4 - 1 France.... Now if this score holds I'll have gotten one right!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:15 pm

First off, I’m not belittling soccer, I’m just raising this question in a forum that is (are) intelligent enough to perhaps know why. What’s with the use of UK collective noun rules when Americans are talking about soccer? ESPN does it. I’ve seen it here. Is it just fun? When in Rome (although most of us are in the Southeast)? It is something that has (have) always amused me.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:20 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:15 pm
First off, I’m not belittling soccer, I’m just raising this question in a forum that is (are) intelligent enough to perhaps know why. What’s with the use of UK collective noun rules when Americans are talking about soccer? ESPN does it. I’ve seen it here. Is it just fun? When in Rome (although most of us are in the Southeast)? It is something that has (have) always amused me.
Like spelling center (centre)? The pitch. Shown a yellow card.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:22 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:20 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:15 pm
Like spelling center (centre)? The pitch. Shown a yellow card.
1. Yep. Exactly.
2. Pitch doesn’t bother me as much (but nil, for some reason, does — It’s zero.)
3. It’s a specific soccer term. I’m okay with it.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:45 pm

If you come onto the Pitch for the Match without the proper Kit and Boots you will quickly be Nutmegged and your chances of making it to Full Time will be Nil ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:02 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:45 pm
If you come onto the Pitch for the Match without the proper Kit and Boots you will quickly be Nutmegged and your chances of making it to Full Time will be Nil ---
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:18 pm

USA but the draw with Wales was not helpful to the cause. I'll be watching tomorrow with fingers crossed but I expect the Brits to conduct a clinic. :cry:
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:30 pm

Tomorrow's matches:
Morocco v Croatia 5am
Germany v Japan 8am
Spain v Costa Rica 11am
Belgium v Canada 2pm

My picks:
Morocco 0 - Croatia 1
Germany 3 - Japan 1
Spain 2 - Costa Rica 1
Belgium 3 - Canada 1

Hard bunch of games to pick but I got all my money on the German team! Time to get that fifth world cup!

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:31 pm

asu66 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:18 pm
USA but the draw with Wales was not helpful to the cause. I'll be watching tomorrow with fingers crossed but I expect the Brits to conduct a clinic. :cry:
England and USA play Friday.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:06 pm

Back in the late 1700s, residents of the 13 colonies decided they didn’t like being taxed without representation. So they rebelled and eventually broke away from British rule. As part of their middle finger to Old King George, they changed the way many words were spelled. Hence, theatre was changed to theater, colour became color, analyse was changed to analyze and travelled became traveled. Another change was to turn proper names like cities and universities into singular collective nouns. Thus, we say “Boone is in Watauga County” and “Appalachian State is the state’s fifth-largest university.” So when Americans use a plural verb with the name of a country — “Argentina are in trouble” — they are abandoning nearly 300 years of U.S. grammatical history.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:06 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:52 pm
I meant lay down for their neighbors, Wales.
If my English pen-pal I have to discuss the English team I follow is any indication then the English hate all the other home countries when it comes to football. I don't see them laying down for the Welsh team.
Last edited by McLeansvilleAppFan on Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:41 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:30 pm
Tomorrow's matches:
Morocco v Croatia 5am
Germany v Japan 8am
Spain v Costa Rica 11am
Belgium v Canada 2pm

My picks:
Morocco 0 - Croatia 1
Germany 3 - Japan 1
Spain 2 - Costa Rica 1
Belgium 3 - Canada 1

Hard bunch of games to pick but I got all my money on the German team! Time to get that fifth world cup!
Reminds me, there's a really good documentary called "Captains" on Netflix. It follows several national team captains as they attempt to qualify for the World Cup. Seeing Croatia playing reminded me of it. Modric' is one of the captains featured along Brazil's Silva. It also follows some teams that don't make it like my family's ancestral home, Lebanon.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:57 am

Croatia played a pathetic game. They made Morocco look like a good team. This should not have been a 0-0 draw. Croatia just were lazy and passed with no purpose. They looked like they had been out drinking all night and had a hangover. Def didn't look like a runner up from last World Cup. Highly disappointed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”