Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Enrollment Decline in UNC System

biggie
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Enrollment Decline in UNC System

Unread post by biggie » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:51 pm

Getting good at bowling (after college) makes my wife not like me she refuses to bowl with me.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:05 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:51 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:44 pm
bcoach wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:11 pm
AppInDC wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:02 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:12 am
BS degrees are aptly named now. Most are exactly that. We have a son at App and one at NCSU. The virtual/on line Covid classes were one thing but to continue them now at regular tuition costs is mind boggling. Admittedly there were ridiculous courses even back in my day but some of them now are unreal. Intro to fly fishing was an option for my App son.
To be fair, the listed one sounds like a physical Ed requirement.

One of mine was Badminton and I graduated a while ago. Haha.
Kind of ridiculous that there is a physical Ed requirement
Given the obesity rates in this country having our colleges do something, even as little as 2 PEs, is far from ridiculous. It ought to be 4 PE credits. I took snow skiing and fencing. Not the fencing I could learn a trade however.
It's also part of the idea behind holistic/whole child/liberal arts education. I took weight training and bowling. Did either one help me in my career? No. But I learned more about how the body works and how diet and exercise affect the body than I did in any health class that I took from middle school through college. And I got pretty good at bowling, which is a nice thing to show off on dates and at birthday parties. My PE credits have probably had a bigger effect on my actual day-to-day life than say, the Shakespeare class I had to take for my English-Ed degree.
Y'all doth protest too much, methinks!!!! Shakespeare and PE have their place but man would I liked to have had one semester hour of electrical wiring and plumbing.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:01 pm

I got a teaching/coaching degree and made a 40 year career out of it. Loved the PE classes and loved to compete. The “out of class” experiences were priceless.
Some were costly. Beer was a little over $2 a six-pack. Whiskey was less the half of today’s price. You could find a place to hunt and fish for the cost of your license.

The cost of college is not worth it nowadays (unless Biden keeps forgiving loans). In 1973, I lived in a dorm with a meal book, took 15 hours each semester and my freshman year cost me $1830 ($930 first semester, $900 second).

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:44 am

Hard to tell enrollment is declining, with all the construction planned the next 5 years, and more expansion into Hickory.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:45 pm

Tru2ASU wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:44 am
Hard to tell enrollment is declining, with all the construction planned the next 5 years, and more expansion into Hickory.
there will be winners and loser in the enrollment declines. UNC will be fine. NC State will be fine. The "2nd tier" App, UNCC, ECU, UNCW/G, NC A&T will probably be mostly fine. Past that there could be issues

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:19 pm

When I have hired in the professional world, here are a few observations I have made:

1) Grade point average: For me it demonstrates their commitment to hard work and therefore I may assume they will do same for my company. To get the high 3.x GPA they spent a lot of long hours studying and preparing for tests and papers and projects. That means means they are committed. It doesn't automatically mean the higher GPA the smarter the person though (depending on the interview you can decide if they are book smart or well rounded and how they will apply that to the respective job). This only applies in your first job. Unfortunately I didn't get this when I was in school so it hurt me when getting my first job as my GPA was not good so I had to start low and work my way up. In retrospect I would have taken it more seriously.
2) I look for basic skills from college, not advanced knowledge. They are expected to learn advanced stuff in their job.

To the point above about University vs trade school skills, In my experience a college grad is more well rounded vs a trade school grad. Trade grad may have more immediate skills but are typically less rounded. So what do you want from hire, hit the ground running and focused on more narrow tasks or long term role in organization? All of the above depend on your business. If I am running technology company or HVAC business your decision process may be different to be successful. Even within each company the process may be.

These are just my observations.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:14 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:19 pm
When I have hired in the professional world, here are a few observations I have made:

1) Grade point average: For me it demonstrates their commitment to hard work and therefore I may assume they will do same for my company. To get the high 3.x GPA they spent a lot of long hours studying and preparing for tests and papers and projects. That means means they are committed. It doesn't automatically mean the higher GPA the smarter the person though (depending on the interview you can decide if they are book smart or well rounded and how they will apply that to the respective job). This only applies in your first job. Unfortunately I didn't get this when I was in school so it hurt me when getting my first job as my GPA was not good so I had to start low and work my way up. In retrospect I would have taken it more seriously.
2) I look for basic skills from college, not advanced knowledge. They are expected to learn advanced stuff in their job.

To the point above about University vs trade school skills, In my experience a college grad is more well rounded vs a trade school grad. Trade grad may have more immediate skills but are typically less rounded. So what do you want from hire, hit the ground running and focused on more narrow tasks or long term role in organization? All of the above depend on your business. If I am running technology company or HVAC business your decision process may be different to be successful. Even within each company the process may be.

These are just my observations.
Just as a suggestion it is also hard to know what everyone goes through in college and there could be good effort at times and then less at other times. So if really looking at GPA then may need to dive into transcript to see if it is overall or just bad places.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:53 pm

https://abc11.com/nc-a-and-t-north-caro ... /12472744/

Fines for too many out of state students.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:38 pm

So how much more revenue did they make on the extra 6% out of state enrollment?

My bet is it paid off. Net net profit. The state isn’t going to shoot themselves on the foot for bending the rules.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:53 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:38 pm
So how much more revenue did they make on the extra 6% out of state enrollment?

My bet is it paid off. Net net profit. The state isn’t going to shoot themselves on the foot for bending the rules.
I am sure they ran the numbers as well. I would be upset if they DID NOT do that on the front end.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”