Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Friday Night Lights - Virginia Folks

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
School: Appalachian State

Friday Night Lights - Virginia Folks

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:16 pm

Not sure how many on here that reside in Virginia attend or keep up with high school football, but I'm interested in taking a small trip for a Friday night game sometime this season. Specifically looking for schools in the Roanoke or Lynchburg area. Are there any must see teams in anyone's area?
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppfaninCAALand

Re: Friday Night Lights - Virginia Folks

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:30 pm

I don't know much about the Roanoke/Lynchburg area, but in Richmond, Highland Springs is ranked #1 in the state and their match up with top 5 Varina in a few weeks is probably the biggest game in the state. Richmond's Trinity Episcopal is also top 10 in the state and is the most entertaining high school team I have personally seem in quite a while. Their So QB already has offers from half the SBC East. But few private schools have lights however and they usually play on Saturday afternoons.

I've heard Liberty Christian (also a Maxpreps top10 team) is the best team in the western part of the state. Yes, they are a high school affiliated with that university in Lynchburg. My understanding is their season ending match up with Lynchburg city's public high, EC Glass, is the biggest game in the area each season.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:10 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:30 pm
I don't know much about the Roanoke/Lynchburg area, but in Richmond, Highland Springs is ranked #1 in the state and their match up with top 5 Varina in a few weeks is probably the biggest game in the state. Richmond's Trinity Episcopal is also top 10 in the state and is the most entertaining high school team I have personally seem in quite a while. Their So QB already has offers from half the SBC East. But few private schools have lights however and they usually play on Saturday afternoons.

I've heard Liberty Christian (also a Maxpreps top10 team) is the best team in the western part of the state. Yes, they are a high school affiliated with that university in Lynchburg. My understanding is their season ending match up with Lynchburg city's public high, EC Glass, is the biggest game in the area each season.
I've heard very good things about Highland Springs. Buddy of mine went to Martinsburg High (West Virginia) and I've seen them play a time or two. To hear Highland Springs won 34-3 against what I feel is a solid Martinsburg squad is impressive.

I think it's basically a given LCA is going to meet Phoebus for the state title and I've already got scheduled to go see the 3A and 4A title games at Liberty in December, so I'm going to hold off on seeing LCA. Trip to Richmond sounds very appealing. Thank you for the suggestions.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:09 am

Probably the best teams in the Roanoke area are Patrick Henry and Lord Botetourt. LB, of course, is the school that has provided three current App players. PH is a D5 school and LB is D3. Salem is always a traditional power but not sure they are as strong as years past. Frankly. I don't follow as closely as I once did.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:31 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:10 pm
AppfaninCAALand wrote:

I've heard very good things about Highland Springs. Buddy of mine went to Martinsburg High (West Virginia) and I've seen them play a time or two. To hear Highland Springs won 34-3 against what I feel is a solid Martinsburg squad is impressive.

I think it's basically a given LCA is going to meet Phoebus for the state title and I've already got scheduled to go see the 3A and 4A title games at Liberty in December, so I'm going to hold off on seeing LCA. Trip to Richmond sounds very appealing. Thank you for the suggestions.
Highland Springs could probably win the future CUSA.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:44 am

hapapp wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:09 am
Probably the best teams in the Roanoke area are Patrick Henry and Lord Botetourt. LB, of course, is the school that has provided three current App players. PH is a D5 school and LB is D3. Salem is always a traditional power but not sure they are as strong as years past. Frankly. I don't follow as closely as I once did.
I feel I owe my admission and concession funds to LB for beating Riverheads, my old high school rival and ending their streak.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:50 am

Back when our current Apps were playing for LB, for 2-3 seasons the only regular season losses my Bluefield Beavers had were against them all 3 years.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:09 am

Per Friday Night Lights I watched a huge Texas 6A matchup Friday - my long-time hometown buddy has a grandson who plays for Dripping Springs 6-0 and they were playing the #5 team in the Nation, Austin Westlake 6-0 - They have their own feed that shows home games and he got me signed on - I say this with absolute no sarcasm - they look like college teams - good college teams. Westlake won which was their 47th in a row but it was 16-10 into the 4th Q when DSHS had several turnovers - Their offensive and defensive lines were huge and they constantly rotated, they have several seniors already committed to power programs T A&M, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas, etc., He said Westlake had 3300 students and DS only had 2300 so they wouldn't meet in the playoffs - I mean the kicker was kicking it out of the end zone on KOs and could easily make 50 yd FG.
Over the years I have played, coached or followed high school football in WVA, NC and VA and
the only team I have seen you could even hang with these guys were the 70-80-90s Hampton Crabber teams. Phoebus has ruled the Peninsula for some time now but they are no where near the level of Texas
As 09 said, I was surprised the Highland Sprs beat Martinsburg so handily as they have been the best team in WV for a decade ---
If you guys ever have the chance to pick up the feed of a high level Texas HS game do it - They are impressive!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:00 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:09 am
If you guys ever have the chance to pick up the feed of a high level Texas HS game do it - They are impressive!!!
I know you are referring to the play on the field, but I suspect the quality of the production for some of these high level Texas HS streaming feeds are impressive as well.

The ability to live stream is one thing I think is exciting about high school sports in this modern media environment. My daughter's high school has a student run A/V club that basically operates a sports media business across media platforms. They maintain the athletic teams' twitter, Instagram, etc and have a YouTube page where they live broadcast all home games for all teams. Most games are just the camera pointed to the field, but their football and basketball coverage has the teacher/club moderator doing play by play with student color commentators and sideline reporters, as well students running multiple camera angles. It looks like a student production but is pretty cool none the less. They also do weekly shows on their YouTube page as well - coaches interviews, recapping the week's games with highlights packages, that sort of thing.

That may be a normal thing most schools do, or it might be rare, I don't know. But I like it, and if it isn't common, it should be. Kids that are interested in a media career after school get a chance to learn valuable skills, and out-of-state grandmas get to watch their grandkids compete.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:20 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:31 am
Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:10 pm
AppfaninCAALand wrote:

Highland Springs could probably win the future CUSA.
When I was in high school in the Richmond area (60s) the Springers were the best team around.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:02 pm

Yes - they had experienced announcers who spoke of players and coaches from earlier teams - the audio wasn't always great but the video was well done ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:57 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:50 am
Back when our current Apps were playing for LB, for 2-3 seasons the only regular season losses my Bluefield Beavers had were against them all 3 years.
How's Graham High School out of Bluefield area? Hear a good bit about them as well.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:19 pm

Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:57 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:50 am
How's Graham High School out of Bluefield area? Hear a good bit about them as well.
Yes they are having another very good season 7-0 and ranked #2 in 2A behind Radford
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”