Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Steve Wilks named Panthers HC

appstatealum
School: Appalachian State

Re: Steve Wilks named Panthers HC

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:20 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:57 am
Although I have not followed the lawsuit closely...but this reference above "Is it racist that there are far more black players in the NFL than white ones?"... isn't this the point of the lawsuit. the NFL player pool is very diverse, however that does not carryover into the coaching ranks to head coach?...that is not a woke agenda..it appears, on paper, to be a fact. Personally, I feel, in this particular case, that the case has some merit and I am anti-litigation as a way to solve issues. If the case is successful, will it change something, who knows. As stated above, I have not followed the case, have not tracked the diversity of position coaches, coordinators, etc. that get consideration or passed over for HC. There is much to peel back of legal issue.
Just my opinion.
Football teams want to win. Race has nothing to with it. Good player does not equate to good coach. They are 2 completely different things. This nation needs to stop measuring people by the color of their skin and instead focus on the content of their character.
The Appalachian State

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:30 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:20 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Although I have not followed the lawsuit closely...but this reference above "Is it racist that there are far more black players in the NFL than white ones?"... isn't this the point of the lawsuit. the NFL player pool is very diverse, however that does not carryover into the coaching ranks to head coach?...that is not a woke agenda..it appears, on paper, to be a fact. Personally, I feel, in this particular case, that the case has some merit and I am anti-litigation as a way to solve issues. If the case is successful, will it change something, who knows. As stated above, I have not followed the case, have not tracked the diversity of position coaches, coordinators, etc. that get consideration or passed over for HC. There is much to peel back of legal issue.
Just my opinion.
Football teams want to win. Race has nothing to with it. Good player does not equate to good coach. They are 2 completely different things. This nation needs to stop measuring people by the color of their skin and instead focus on the content of their character.
Football teams want to win..Novel concept. Good player does not make good coach...I assume is not the focal point of the lawsuit. As I stated above, I have not read one single page of the lawsuit. However, if there are a larger percentage of diverse candidates that are making it as position coaches and up through OC and DC...and have been successful... however they are getting less opportunities than former non diverse ex football players who made same path with similar success...that is potentially the point of the lawsuit...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:38 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:29 am
Stating a record without context is not an accurate comparison though. I do agree that his time coaching the Cardinals was not impressive, but he had a very nice run (in terms of improvement) as the interim with the Panthers. He did an admirable job of getting more out of the same players who had performed poorly before he was made HC. I think he'll get another shot somewhere....hope so at least. I don't know enough about the Cards to really comment on what he was dealing with that season.
He actually did more with less than his predecessor based on what I have read.I don't care about the Panthers or the NFL , but do like to see our people do well in their chosen fields .

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:53 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:30 am
appstatealum wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
Just my opinion.
Football teams want to win..Novel concept. Good player does not make good coach...I assume is not the focal point of the lawsuit. As I stated above, I have not read one single page of the lawsuit. However, if there are a larger percentage of diverse candidates that are making it as position coaches and up through OC and DC...and have been successful... however they are getting less opportunities than former non diverse ex football players who made same path with similar success...that is potentially the point of the lawsuit...
For context, I wasn't coming "at you", I've glossed over his old lawsuit and Flores etc. It's just sad that we still have racism and even that there are full departments for "diversity and inclusion".
The Appalachian State

ASU843

Unread post by ASU843 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:30 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:16 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:38 am
Tepper messed this one up......Reich in average at best
Wilks wasn't the right guy, but neither is Reich. Wilks is a first class dude, but it was time for the Panthers to go "offensive" route and Wilks got throttled in the 2 games that mattered most. I hope he finds a good situation.
Tepper should bring you on board.

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:47 am

Here's an interesting article from 2018 about walk-ons being predominantly white. While it is specifically about basketball, it probably carries over to football. Many of the walk-ons become coaches or management within athletic departments or professional teams. It suggests this may be a reason there are so many white coaches . While race may have something to do with coaching being dominated by white men, it's a bit more nuanced. “These white players know they’re never going to play, but they don’t care,” Moore said, “and they leverage that experience for the next 40 years of their life.”

https://andscape.com/features/why-are-s ... ons-white/

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:45 am

appstatealum wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
Just my opinion.
I agree on some points but i think race is playing a factor. So many sub average white coaches get re-treaded all the time. All the white coaches get a timeline that extends beyond 1 year.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:29 pm

Appst86 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:47 am
Here's an interesting article from 2018 about walk-ons being predominantly white. While it is specifically about basketball, it probably carries over to football. Many of the walk-ons become coaches or management within athletic departments or professional teams. It suggests this may be a reason there are so many white coaches . While race may have something to do with coaching being dominated by white men, it's a bit more nuanced. “These white players know they’re never going to play, but they don’t care,” Moore said, “and they leverage that experience for the next 40 years of their life.”

https://andscape.com/features/why-are-s ... ons-white/
That’s really interesting, they know they don’t have a future as a player so the start early on the coaching job. This could be used in finding a solution to the problem. With purpose and intent programs could start pulling good, non white, players and start giving them the coaching skill set. It would probably help their on field performance too.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:20 pm

appstatealum wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
Just my opinion.
Football teams want to win. Race has nothing to with it. Good player does not equate to good coach. They are 2 completely different things. This nation needs to stop measuring people by the color of their skin and instead focus on the content of their character.............
.......and talent and qualifications. In the end, Steve will land on his feet somewhere. After all, he is an App.
It's a shame the Lord didn't make us all the same color. ;) I just wish the Lord had made me rich instead of handsome. :lol:
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:40 pm

Named 49ers DC per ESPN

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:55 pm

I saw that , good for him.Good man.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic