Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Queen Elizabeth RIP

GreatAppSt
School: Appalachian State

Queen Elizabeth RIP

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:57 pm

The Queen of England has passed.

Long live the King I guess. Is that what is said now? Don't know its been like 70 years.

appstate77

Re: Queen Elizabeth RIP

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:06 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:57 pm
The Queen of England has passed.

Long live the King I guess. Is that what is said now? Don't know its been like 70 years.
That is a bit to get used to. I'm 68. All I have known is "Queen of England". This now changes.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:05 pm

Ehh, rip I guess. Her nation dominated and oppressed millions even during the early parts of her reign. Many Americans love her as a stalwart of the old guard but many Brits I've met over the years are pretty tired of the monarchy.

With that being said she got to live quite the privileged life many would kill for, literally. She seemed like a nice enough lady who was raised in a specific fantasy class of society. She got to live 96 years. It did seem like she was just kind of done with it all after her husband died.

Good luck to Britain dealing with the younger royals. I could see Britain removing the royal titles 50+years from now and just being done with it.

The royalty just always make me think of the peasant to king Arthur quips from Monty Python about saying he was the king and the peasant saying they didn't vote for him. Then yelling help help I'm being repressed!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:20 pm

Rightly or wrongly she represented the last vestiges of British Imperialism. Head of State during tremendous social change. All in all represented her country with grace and dignity.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:45 pm

appdaze wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:05 pm
Ehh, rip I guess. Her nation dominated and oppressed millions even during the early parts of her reign. Many Americans love her as a stalwart of the old guard but many Brits I've met over the years are pretty tired of the monarchy.

With that being said she got to live quite the privileged life many would kill for, literally. She seemed like a nice enough lady who was raised in a specific fantasy class of society. She got to live 96 years. It did seem like she was just kind of done with it all after her husband died.

Good luck to Britain dealing with the younger royals. I could see Britain removing the royal titles 50+years from now and just being done with it.

The royalty just always make me think of the peasant to king Arthur quips from Monty Python about saying he was the king and the peasant saying they didn't vote for him. Then yelling help help I'm being repressed!
I would be a Republican if I were British. I do prefer how the French handled it, and so glad we did not develop that in this country, though we have a few families that have passed on political power a bit more from generation to generation than I care to see, and voters, in some cases, seem to love it. Not I.

My sister's wife is from London and working class. She was a bit upset it seems from the texts she sent me. I can respect that but abolish the lot of it for all I care.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:13 pm

appdaze wrote:

How the heck did you manage to dis perhaps the best and least assuming monarch of the 1900's and 2000's?????? What you say is probably true, but she has been the symbol of a benevolent monarch for almost a century. She will be missed as a symbol of Great Britain. She was loved and cherished by millions. This is not the time for negativity.
Attention seeking?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:15 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:20 pm
Rightly or wrongly she represented the last vestiges of British Imperialism. Head of State during tremendous social change. All in all represented her country with grace and dignity.
Excellent thoughts, Rek.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:24 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:13 pm
appdaze wrote:

How the heck did you manage to dis perhaps the best and least assuming monarch of the 1900's and 2000's?????? What you say is probably true, but she has been the symbol of a benevolent monarch for almost a century. She will be missed as a symbol of Great Britain. She was loved and cherished by millions. This is not the time for negativity.
Attention seeking?
But what he said was pretty spot on. I am not sure the word benevolent should be used with any empire, be it British, Belgian, or other countries. She was largely a figurehead, but I am not aware of any great statements she made or put herself in a position to support the oppressed of the Empire. Correct me if I am wrong.

The Nordic countries do have some more unassuming monarchs, but they can also be gotten rid of as far as I am concerned. They are still unelected people with extra privilege.

The English and Welsh will likely miss her, but the Scottish are likely to either be indifferent or happy she is gone.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:33 pm

NewApp wrote:
appdaze wrote:

Attention seeking?
Well, you started that off with a lie. She has been the most publicized monarch worldwide in the history of humanity. Not the bit least assuming. The second part about benevolence depends on who you ask. If you were one of the millions oppressed during her reign, I highly doubt you would go around professing your love for her benevolence If you are lucky enough to have been born into the united states of America, then I still wouldn't describe the British monarchy of any era as benevolent as we are a free nation because we broke away from the oppression and tyranny of monarchs its easy for a modern American to overlook such things as our society as a whole for the lives of most Americans has been blessed by the greatest economy in the world allowing us to fantasize about the British royalty lifestyle thanks to? You guessed it, the lavish and highly publicized life of Elizabeth II. She won't be missed by much of the world as the symbol of British imperialism. She was loved by millions of brits who benefitted by being British. If it sounds negative to speak about the facts of someone's life, then you should probably take a closer look at the subject of the negativity instead of the person pointing it out.

Sorry champ, attention seeking would be the flurry of threads and posts you've made recently, most of which were pointless or could have easily been searched for on yahoo or duck duck go to get your answer.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:49 pm

Ask Kenya what they think of the British monarchy.

AppKing21

Unread post by AppKing21 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:00 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:49 pm
I would, but they were too busy being exploited by China.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:04 pm

AppKing21 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:00 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:49 pm
I would, but they were too busy being exploited by China.
And another empire not to be happy about. But doesn't lesson what the British did in Kenya.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:15 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:24 pm
NewApp wrote:
appdaze wrote:

Attention seeking?
But what he said was pretty spot on. I am not sure the word benevolent should be used with any empire, be it British, Belgian, or other countries. She was largely a figurehead, but I am not aware of any great statements she made or put herself in a position to support the oppressed of the Empire. Correct me if I am wrong.

The Nordic countries do have some more unassuming monarchs, but they can also be gotten rid of as far as I am concerned. They are still unelected people with extra privilege.

The English and Welsh will likely miss her, but the Scottish are likely to either be indifferent or happy she is gone.

She did convince Margaret Thatcher to condemn apartheid. Regardless of feelings toward the Monarchy and House of Windsor this is an historic moment. I say let the Brits be Brits and make their own decisions about their monarchy. Figure head or not the British throne still wields some authority. And there's no need to be disrespectful (not directed at you, but in general).
WE ARE YOSEF!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:28 pm

My family left England in the 1600's and have struggled with the language ever since, even to the point of sparring with them over it and a few other concerns, a century later. Monarchs just weren't our thing, but those we left behind seem to have been really fond of her and I respect their feelings.It does give me reason to further appreciate the French fleet being parked off the coast of Virginny way back then , not that we didn't repay that debt , twice.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:39 pm

appdaze wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:33 pm
NewApp wrote:
appdaze wrote:

Attention seeking?
Well, you started that off with a lie. She has been the most publicized monarch worldwide in the history of humanity. Not the bit least assuming. The second part about benevolence depends on who you ask. If you were one of the millions oppressed during her reign, I highly doubt you would go around professing your love for her benevolence If you are lucky enough to have been born into the united states of America, then I still wouldn't describe the British monarchy of any era as benevolent as we are a free nation because we broke away from the oppression and tyranny of monarchs its easy for a modern American to overlook such things as our society as a whole for the lives of most Americans has been blessed by the greatest economy in the world allowing us to fantasize about the British royalty lifestyle thanks to? You guessed it, the lavish and highly publicized life of Elizabeth II. She won't be missed by much of the world as the symbol of British imperialism. She was loved by millions of brits who benefitted by being British. If it sounds negative to speak about the facts of someone's life, then you should probably take a closer look at the subject of the negativity instead of the person pointing it out.

Sorry champ, attention seeking would be the flurry of threads and posts you've made recently, most of which were pointless or could have easily been searched for on yahoo or duck duck go to get your answer.
Yep, I do post a lot but if you remember the post stats which were posted in the left column you always had more than i did. I know, I know mine are pointless and yours are not
As to googling, as i have stated many times before, I prefer the short concise and accurate replies from well informed Moutaineers on here and are more accurate than your gaggle search engines. Just get over your self. You aren’t forced to reply to my queries or actually even to read them. As I’ve always said on here, I use gaggle, google, giggle exclusively on my iphone. Most people enjoy showing us their expertise on App and SB info.
Now get over yourself and mind your own d business. Very few members on here mind answering my queries other than you and your cronies. Now, good night and go apps.
Google SUX

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:58 pm

“There are shams and there are frauds, but the biggest of these is monarchy. The system has for its end the degradation of the many and the exalting of the few, the misery of the many and the happiness of the few, the old and hunger and the overworking of the useful so the useless may live in luxury and idleness. This is true of American politics today.
In monarchies, the king or queen have their every need and whim looked after at the expense of the poor. The monarch makes the succession permanent in his family and the crime is complete. It is the same sort of crime that surprise and seizure of a community’s property by a robber game and the conversion of the community into slaves. There is no throne in any monarchy that doesn’t represent a crime. A monarch is perpetuated piracy.
The institution of royalty is an insult to the human race. In a figurehead monarchy, a royal family of chimpanzees would answer every purpose, be worshipped as abjectly by the nation, and be cheaper.” Mark Twain

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:24 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:39 pm
appdaze wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:33 pm
NewApp wrote:
appdaze wrote:

Attention seeking?

Yep, I do post a lot but if you remember the post stats which were posted in the left column you always had more than i did. I know, I know mine are pointless and yours are not
As to googling, as i have stated many times before, I prefer the short concise and accurate replies from well informed Moutaineers on here and are more accurate than your gaggle search engines. Just get over your self. You aren’t forced to reply to my queries or actually even to read them. As I’ve always said on here, I use gaggle, google, giggle exclusively on my iphone. Most people enjoy showing us their expertise on App and SB info.
Now get over yourself and mind your own d business. Very few members on here mind answering my queries other than you and your cronies. Now, good night and go apps.
I remember those post counts quite well. I was never ahead of you so once again you've lied. Just look at my post totals versus yours. I carried over 2,000 or so from the old message board. So I haven't even made 2k posts on Yosef cabin total. So you've made 4 times the number of posts I have.

As far as Google goes, where do you think most of these posters get their information?
As far as getting over myself I'm not real sure why you always....... Always have to drag conversations into the drain with petty comments like this. Why do you do that? Are you that desperate for attention? So you need someone in your life to get you a therapist? That's an honest question. As so many have said before me you bring these things on yourself with the petty and often irrelevant comments. It's honestly just sad to watch. I do hope you get the help you need, whatever it is.

So the topic at hand is the death of the queen of England, perhaps sticking to the topic would be a great place to start.

Long live the mountaineers and God save the queen.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:38 am

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:15 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:24 pm
NewApp wrote:
appdaze wrote:

Attention seeking?

She did convince Margaret Thatcher to condemn apartheid. Regardless of feelings toward the Monarchy and House of Windsor this is an historic moment. I say let the Brits be Brits and make their own decisions about their monarchy. Figure head or not the British throne still wields some authority. And there's no need to be disrespectful (not directed at you, but in general).
There are plenty of anti-monarchists in the UK themselves. Those of us pointing out our views about the absurdity of royalty does not mean we are working to actively overthrow their system. I don't mind calling out the Chinese either, or the kleptocracy of present day Russia. And some of the policies and procedures or my country. It is all fair game as far as I am concerned. And it can be done with some respect as well. The Republicans in the UK made a nice statement about the Queen as a mother, grandmother, great-grandmother had passed away and there was a time and place for other statements later. Very true, and right beside it was a statement from a few weeks earlier acknowledging her time was coming to a close and it was time to drop the monarchy. The did not scrub their website. It seemed respectful to me and one also know where they stand.

I still think France did it right by getting rid of the whole process through some fits and starts, though a small bit hangs around. Same for Germany.

The fact the British throne still wields some power is all the more reason to dump it. Post haste.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:20 am

I'm glad we don't have a monarchy in the U.S. but I don't think it our place to tell the UK what they need.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:05 am

When you really stop to think about it the entire monarchy system- especially in England is not only antiquated but mostly ridiculous. A line of family members just keeps to maintain a figurehead for generations, lives in the lap of luxury and really does nothing. A throng of people fawn over them and even the seemingly "common folk" that are fortunate enough to marry into the Royal Family are suddenly worshipped as well. I've never understood the worship of a human being (other than one) by others.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”