Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

20 July 1969

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

20 July 1969

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:00 am

"Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: 20 July 1969

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:22 am

Remember it so vividly ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:05 pm

I was at freshman orientation in Boone on that day.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:07 pm

Rising Sr. In High School on vacation at Myrtle Beach. Watched on TV in black and white!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:49 pm

Watched it at a hotel in Florida where we were still vacationing after watching the launch live from across a waterway at Cape Canaveral...I was eight years old.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:47 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:00 am

*My bride and I were in grad school that summer

*Residing at App South Apts, Bldg. A

*Connected to Boone Cablevision--a low end primitive system...all cable and distribution electronic components were outdoors on leased space on BellSouth telephone poles...nothing underground and almost completely unprotected from lightning strikes

*Severe electrical storms and flooding cloudbursts on that Saturday and Sunday left only small islands of AC power in town, no active cable tv anywhere in Boone or Blowing Rock; very few stores were open. No power? Closed! Most Boone streets were flooded in any low spot for two or three days into the next week.

*App South residents got busy with three teams...one small group of gals prepared food; another group of gals braided copper wire or twisted aluminum foil; and we guys experimented with wire, foil and even metal clothes hangers and rings of keys in a weak attempt to boost signal-strength on rabbit ears antennas on every portable TV in the complex. Our little 19" GE B&W set proved to have the best tuner for what we were trying to accomplish. It actually produced a weak, snowy picture that allowed 50-60 of us to see shadowed images of the landing craft and Armstrong's emergence from within. The loudest roar of our group came when the US Flag was planted on the Moon's surface. Proud event! Unforgettable!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:53 pm

asu66 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:47 pm
Stonewall wrote:

*Connected to Boone Cablevision--a low end primitive system...all cable and distribution electronic components were outdoors on leased space on BellSouth telephone poles...nothing underground and almost completely unprotected from lightning strikes

*Severe electrical storms and flooding cloudbursts on that Saturday and Sunday left only small islands of AC power in town, no active cable tv anywhere in Boone or Blowing Rock; very few stores were open. No power? Closed! Most Boone streets were flooded in any low spot for two or three days into the next week.

*App South residents got busy with three teams...one small group of gals prepared food; another group of gals braided copper wire or twisted aluminum foil; and we guys experimented with wire, foil and even metal clothes hangers and rings of keys in a weak attempt to boost signal-strength on rabbit ears antennas on every portable TV in the complex. Our little 19" GE B&W set proved to have the best tuner for what we were trying to accomplish. It actually produced a weak, snowy picture that allowed 50-60 of us to see shadowed images of the landing craft and Armstrong's emergence from within. The loudest roar of our group came when the US Flag was planted on the Moon's surface. Proud event! Unforgettable!
That's a pretty cool story!

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:25 pm

At my girl friend’s (now wife’s) house with her family. Getting ready for football camp and that timed mile at the end of practice at Conrad.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:54 pm

Blackshirt68 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:25 pm
At my girl friend’s (now wife’s) house with her family. Getting ready for football camp and that timed mile at the end of practice at Conrad.
That mile run was brutal! At home in the flatlands I had no trouble making time, up on the mountain I made it with 5 seconds to spare.
Bring Your A Game!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:06 pm

asu66 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

If you had cable in '69 you were doing well no matter how sketchy it may be been. We had two wires and a couple pieces of tin foil living in rural NC so you can imagine our picture quality. You had a new bride and cable tv which you would not have needed due to the new bride, Yep '66, you were living the dream baby. :)

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:07 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:06 pm
asu66 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

If you had cable in '69 you were doing well no matter how sketchy it may be been. We had two wires and a couple pieces of tin foil living in rural NC so you can imagine our picture quality. You had a new bride and cable tv which you would not have needed due to the new bride, Yep '66, you were living the dream baby. :)
Cable TV back then. You were rolling with the 1% club. We had ABC, CBS, NBC and that was it.
Last edited by BambooRdApp on Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:20 pm

I was in the Army stationed in West Germany. Saw it on German TV.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:03 pm

We were at Lake Norman, sitting on the back porch of a trailer … watching on a 12” black and white.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:29 am

In the living room with the family watching on the Magnavox Console TV. I was the remote, I'd turn the volume up or change the channel. My brother was the tuner, he'd adjust the rabbit ears depending on which of the 3 stations was selected.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”