Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

$115 Million Wasted

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

$115 Million Wasted

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:13 pm

https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/mess ... QUggMbYHY8
RALEIGH (June 9, 2022) – They want to spend $115 million on what?

State legislators ordered the UNC System to move its offices from Chapel Hill to Raleigh by the end of this year and spend $15 million to rent space as a $100 million building is constructed in the state government complex.

They aim to consolidate the University and Community College Systems, Department of (K-12) Public Instruction and Department of Commerce offices in one location in Raleigh.

Those requirements – including $11 million to plan the new building – were part of the budget to which legislators and Gov. Roy Cooper agreed last November.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Re: $115 Million Wasted

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:06 pm

Another view could be that it is BS that they were in Chapel Hill to begin with, get those making decisions for the entire UNC system out of Chapel Hill.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:30 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:06 pm
Another view could be that it is BS that they were in Chapel Hill to begin with, get those making decisions for the entire UNC system out of Chapel Hill.

I had not thought of that. Now NC State will be making the decisions. They are a money hog.
Google SUX

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:37 pm

Maybe base it in Greensboro, where we hold the tournaments? There's a neutral site for you...sort of.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:08 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:37 pm
Maybe base it in Greensboro, where we hold the tournaments? There's a neutral site for you...sort of.
GSO isn't in our best interest. UNCG's already ahead of us in the BOG's "pecking order." Let's not contribute to their advantage.

BTW, this consolidation is the result of a smoke-filled backroom power-brokers' deal. It's been baked into the cake for several months. We'd better hang on to our hats for the fallout 'cause it could hit our campus hard! Could hit all of NC's higher ed hard!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:27 pm

asu66 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:08 pm
Bootsy wrote:
GSO isn't in our best interest. UNCG's already ahead of us in the BOG's "pecking order." Let's not contribute to their advantage.

BTW, this consolidation is the result of a smoke-filled backroom power-brokers' deal. It's been baked into the cake for several months. We'd better hang on to our hats for the fallout 'cause it could hit our campus hard! Could hit all of NC's higher ed hard!

Good warning, asu66
Google SUX

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:48 am

I'm not so sure that the location of the office matters nearly as much as the composition of the board. Just saying.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:03 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:48 am
I'm not so sure that the location of the office matters nearly as much as the composition of the board. Just saying.

Good point. UNC-CH is usually well represented.
Google SUX

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:35 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:03 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:48 am

Good point. UNC-CH is usually well represented.
Unc controls it and it's not even close.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:11 am

asu66 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:08 pm
Bootsy wrote:

Greensboro does have two UNC campuses and the joint Nanotechnology Center. It is also central to the state in a way that the Triangle is not. And I live there, so three big positives for moving to Greensboro.

Maybe Sanford would be a bit more central and without any UNC system buildings at all as far as I know. Hickory is the largest metro area without a UNC autonomous campus (the ASU campus is connected to ASU of course). Morganton has a large state controlled campus with green space to build (and right beside Broughton Hospital which could be very symbolic) at the School of the Deaf and the new School of Science and Math (though part of the UNC System).

Getting back to Greensboro. ass66 is likely correct in that UNCG may be ahead of us on the "pecking order" but they are losing student population. They are hurting or at least some of the employees are hurting. Working on the campus at the magnet school and working with the physics and chemistry departments close enough to use their lab space I have gotten to know some of their staff and there have been pay cuts and non-tenure jobs being cut.

At the end of the day the UNC-CH control is not based on proximity but board makeup. When a board member is on the board as an alumni of UNC-CH they are likely going to prioritize UNC-CH over WCU, UNC-A, or ASU, even if they live in Sylva, Brevard, or Blowing Rock.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:04 am

Overall, proximity is of lesser idea as compared to board makeup. Proximity does make it easier to maybe get in front of other members. Personally, I believe there should be a requirement on representation to a certain degree and not overly populated with graduates or ties to any school. I say this without even knowing the current make up...just base upon comments on this and past threads when the Board is brought up.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:09 am

I find it, somewhat, odd that the current board chair did not even graduate from a 4-year college/university but from Carteret Community College. He has been very successful in his field though. Also, not all board members are affiliated with a UNC institution. It is heavily weighted toward UNC-CH and NCSU and the current chair is a big supporter of NCSU even though he did is not a graduate. I'm in agreement that location is not what drives the propensity of support for UNC-CH. I think it makes long-term financial sense for these agencies to be under the same roof but I'm not sure I like the UNC BoG being right outside the back door of the Legislative Building. I'm also not sure that even matters with the strangle hold that the current General Assembly seems to have on the board.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:29 am

Sanford is the geographical enter of the state if a central location mattered. Which it doesn’t.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:14 pm

Asheboro.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:49 pm

https://www.ncpedia.org/geography-0#:~: ... %20Sanford.

"North Carolina's geographic center, as determined by the U.S. Geological Survey, is in Chatham County near the town of Gulf, about 10 miles northwest of Sanford."

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:24 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:49 pm
https://www.ncpedia.org/geography-0#:~: ... %20Sanford.

"North Carolina's geographic center, as determined by the U.S. Geological Survey, is in Chatham County near the town of Gulf, about 10 miles northwest of Sanford."
That is where the Norfolk Southern CF line from Greensboro meets with the Atlantic & Western shortline. The Atlantic Carolina and Western used to meet here but this part of the ACWR down to Star is pretty much out of service.

Gulf is about a 5 minutes drive to Cumnock. Cumnock used to be called Egypt and was home to some coal fields. Poor quality coal that produced smoke and made boats easy to detect in the Civil War. (I have also read this coal was used for a steel mill in Greensboro, which is how Bessemer Avenue got its name. The Bessemer process was used for making steel. I can't find a reference for the Bessemer Ave note but do remember reading it somewhere.)

http://www.ncmarkers.com/Markers.aspx?MarkerId=H-41

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:54 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:24 pm

Gulf is about a 5 minutes drive to Cumnock.

I apologize in advance.....I just can't read this with a straight face.....old Scottish names are fantastic.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:11 pm

After reading about the name change from Egypt to Cumnock I never knew that there was a coal mine there. Who would have thought there would have been a coal mine right in the middle of North Carolina.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:23 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:11 pm
After reading about the name change from Egypt to Cumnock I never knew that there was a coal mine there. Who would have thought there would have been a coal mine right in the middle of North Carolina.
And nothing in the Appalachian Mountains of NC. It does demonstrate the various ways the parts of the Appalachian Mtns from Alabama to Nova Scotia and then on into the British Isles and Norway developed in various phases in geologic time.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:51 pm

The legislature is moving the system headquarters to be more central for THEM.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”