Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

HPU Dental School

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

HPU Dental School

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue May 10, 2022 11:35 am

This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appdaze

Re: HPU Dental School

Unread post by appdaze » Tue May 10, 2022 12:21 pm

That school has 150+ mil in debt last I saw. They have access to more money than they know what to do with so they just keep the spending train rolling with every cent that comes in. Lots of out of state students.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue May 10, 2022 1:47 pm

Good grief, those rascals are getting $32,000,000 from one donor. That could go a long way toward paying off the $150,000,000 debt. Guess they see that the career dental graduates will more than make up the difference by donating back to their alma mater in the future. Some orthodontists, dental surgeons, and endodontists make more than general practice MD's..or so I've heard.. Google didn't tell me that. (wink wink) At least that's some money that won't be flowing to the Heels.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue May 10, 2022 2:12 pm

The average salary for an orthodontist in North Carolina is around $276,550 per year.
Avg Salary
$76.6k
Bottom 20%
N/A
Median
N/A
Top 20%

Orthodontists earn an average yearly salary of $276,550.
Wages typically start from $76,620.

318% above national average ● Updated in 2018
Google SUX

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue May 10, 2022 2:17 pm

I have always thought that App is well positioned for a dental school. Get Pepsi Co. to make a huge donation to help combat the "Mountain Dew Mouth" (it's a thing I was unaware of until I saw a news story on it) that plagues so much of the Appalachian area.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue May 10, 2022 3:34 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:47 pm
At least that's some money that won't be flowing to the Heels.
There you go! We don't always have to disagree.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue May 10, 2022 4:29 pm

NewApp wrote:
Good grief, those rascals are getting $32,000,000 from one donor. That could go a long way toward paying off the $150,000,000 debt. Guess they see that the career dental graduates will more than make up the difference by donating back to their alma mater in the future. Some orthodontists, dental surgeons, and endodontists make more than general practice MD's..or so I've heard.. Google didn't tell me that. (wink wink) At least that's some money that won't be flowing to the Heels.
We had a physics meeting at HPU a few weeks ago. A prof there said they have not taken out a loan in a decade or something, but that does not mean they have the debt you state. It is a good school and getting better, but there is something about it that leaves me a bit uneasy.

It is not very diverse anymore and that includes racial or class diversity. They do have some amazing facilities.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue May 10, 2022 6:10 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:29 pm
NewApp wrote:
We had a physics meeting at HPU a few weeks ago. A prof there said they have not taken out a loan in a decade or something, but that does not mean they have the debt you state. It is a good school and getting better, but there is something about it that leaves me a bit uneasy.

It is not very diverse anymore and that includes racial or class diversity. They do have some amazing facilities.

I did not specifically state it (about the debt) . Just reiterating (sp) what daze posted, assuming his source was on the button. As to academics, back in the 1950's it was extremely easy to get in to and very inexpensive compared to other private schools. Now the tuition is one of the highest in NC. They use their endowment to somehow fund a lot of their facilities and/or maintenance.
As to the facilities, aren't the buildings somewhat Williamsburg style, or is the just Elonker University?
Google SUX

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue May 10, 2022 6:40 pm

"Oct 30, 2010 — In fact, HPU's debt never reached the predicted $167 million, but topped out last year at $164.7 million, said William H. Duncan"

https://greensboro.com/news/a-man-a-vis ... b4b8e.html

https://info.higheredfacilitiesforum.co ... university

Thanks to a $1.6 billion investment and the addition of 90 new and acquired buildings on campus, HPU’s rankings soared from #17 in 2005 to #1...for seven years in a row, no less.

“Today, there’s over $240 million in construction underway, with zero debt or loans involved.

When Qubein arrived at High Point, he inherited $100 million in deferred maintenance along with the challenge of lagging enrollment, smack dab in the heart of the great recession.

Just skimming some articles it does appear they were in debt in the 100-160 mil range but the current president found some investors with hefty pockets that have turned that debt around since about 2012-2013 or so as far as what I have read.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue May 10, 2022 9:03 pm

NewApp wrote:
A GP is at the bottom of the totem pole earnings wise. All orthodontists and dental surgeons earn more than a GP. Most veterinarians earn more than a GP. Google would have told you that.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Wed May 11, 2022 5:47 am

It's no surprise Nido Qubein has been able to make so much happen at HPU. I learned about him when I worked for BB&T back in the mid-90's. He is a real American success story, extremely successful in business and a self-made man.

Qubein has sat on the BOD for BB&T/Truist for over 30 years and as you'd expect, is extremely well connected. So the dude knows how to attract funding. He was a superb choice to lead HPU, and now they're reaping the benefits.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed May 11, 2022 9:28 am

Bootsy wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:47 am
It's no surprise Nido Qubein has been able to make so much happen at HPU. I learned about him when I worked for BB&T back in the mid-90's. He is a real American success story, extremely successful in business and a self-made man.

Qubein has sat on the BOD for BB&T/Truist for over 30 years and as you'd expect, is extremely well connected. So the dude knows how to attract funding. He was a superb choice to lead HPU, and now they're reaping the benefits.
He is reaping benefits. He's the highest paid president of a university in the country making well north of $3 million a year. To his credit, he has committed to donate 10 million dollars to the university. But that's not all the university pays tens of millions of dollars to his public relations firm that's headed to by his daughter. The dude's been making ungodly amounts of money he basically created his own income stream by strapping the university with Dad then increasing enrollment and raking in lots and lots of federal student loan dollars to pay the debt back.

What he's created is a country club like setting for not so bright children of wealthy people. It's a country club masquerading as college. But maybe they'll get their academics up in time.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed May 11, 2022 10:34 am

Lots of stones in there. HPU's average SAT score is only 5-10 points lower than App's.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed May 11, 2022 11:10 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:34 am
Lots of stones in there. HPU's average SAT score is only 5-10 points lower than App's.
Well his formula is working cuz their academics are improving then

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed May 11, 2022 11:13 am

t4pizza wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:17 pm
I have always thought that App is well positioned for a dental school. Get Pepsi Co. to make a huge donation to help combat the "Mountain Dew Mouth" (it's a thing I was unaware of until I saw a news story on it) that plagues so much of the Appalachian area.
Would be super as if we could get an actual veterinarian school to eventually go with our vet tech program that Banfield m&m Mars is helping pay for. Vets are in short supply. The long time that in my town is just closing up shop because she couldn't find anybody to buy the practice and then no one could afford housing anyway here.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 11, 2022 1:06 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:03 pm
NewApp wrote:
A GP is at the bottom of the totem pole earnings wise. All orthodontists and dental surgeons earn more than a GP. Most veterinarians earn more than a GP. Google would have told you that.
I hate to be rude, actually I don't, but you can cram Google up your heiny. I have said a zillion times, I use Google sometimes and even narrow my search down and still get thousands of links. In fact, that info may have actually come from Google. I just picked one at random My favorite is Duck duck go but it is extremely cumbersome, but responds to what I search for specifically and safely. BTW, I'm not butt hurt but am pissed that you guys keep harping on Google. Too, Google is trying to create a monopoly on tech stuff and hardware. Now here come the cronies and crony likes emoj's Have at it. Good afternoon.

FWIW, a lot of GP's make tons of money if they employ lots of PA's and/or nurse practitioners and are in a partnership with other GP's. Guess that never occurred to you.
Google SUX

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu May 12, 2022 9:51 am

They’re opening a law school also.

https://www.wxii12.com/amp/article/high ... e/39387352

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:22 am

Other schools in the works too:

HPU announced the addition of a law school, school of optometry, school of nursing and school of entrepreneurship. That’s all in addition to the school of dentistry which was announced last year.

It's really unbelievable when you go on an official tour there. The industry titans they bring on to the campus regularly to work with the students and their approach to prepping the students for the real world, it's not like anything I've ever seen.

According to connections we have with the university their goal is to become the "Harvard of the South."

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu May 12, 2022 10:34 am

Cambridge MA is part of what makes Harvard desirable to that socio economic demographic. High point is not Cambridge. I lived 2 blocks away from HPU for 4 years for a job that way and Qubein doesn't have enough time left on this earth to pull off transforming the university and that area into a Harvard atmosphere. He's 73. I applaud him for the attempt. I'm glad anytime someone is willing to put that much effort into our education at any level, but I don't think that is realistic.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:21 am

My goodness guys. Way to take statements so literally.

Unsure why some here are looking to downgrade a school that has improved itself.

I'm jealous of some of the strides they've made while the BOG in NC continues to hold schools like App back.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”