Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Boone Starbucks

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Boone Starbucks

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:57 am

Good to see this in Boone!

New election filings at the NLRB: 500 faculty members at ArtCenter College of Design in Pasadena, CA are organizing with the California Federation of Teachers. 479 Starbucks workers at 17 stores filed for elections with Workers United in: Chicago; St. Louis (x2); Boston; Pittsburgh (x2); Sun Valley, CA; Colorado Springs; Stevensville, Olney, Bel Air, and Nottingham, MD; Oklahoma City and Norman, OK; Warwick, RI; Denton, TX; Cottonwood Heights, UT; and Boone, NC
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Appst86

Re: Boone Starbucks

Unread post by Appst86 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:53 pm

I guess $3 for a cup of coffee is not expensive enough...

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:00 pm

Say what you will but these are people with a skill that are willing to get up very early in the morning to work what can often be a thankless job.

Be kind to your servers. Tip as much as you can as often as you can. Say thank you and be kind.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:11 pm

Not a fan of unions or chain coffee stores. Local Lion is a good option. But each to their own.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:41 pm

Have a feeling it won't work well for them. A local place would probably pay more for good workers easier, as long as business is good, than the giant company watching the bottom line of the income sheet.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:09 pm

The ironic thing is that Starbucks Coffee is far more expensive than gasoline that we use to power vehicles with.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:22 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:09 pm
The ironic thing is that Starbucks Coffee is far more expensive than gasoline that we use to power vehicles with.
Gasoline actually costs less to about the same as it historically ever has:

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/g ... inflation/

Cafe coffee is expensive. It's really good and it can be fun to get some but that's some expensive stuff. If you're not going to sit and enjoy it like you would a craft beer or something then I'm not sure you're getting your money's worth. Then again it's only been in the last 20 years or so that everyone eats out for lunch. No one used to eat out for lunch unless they were going to a meeting or had some special occasion. People drop 15 bucks for lunch almost every day.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:42 pm

Food Lion Brand Coffee brewed in a Keurig, best deal around. Goes great with Biscotti or Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:40 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:42 pm
Food Lion Brand Coffee brewed in a Keurig, best deal around. Goes great with Biscotti or Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.
Switch to brewing in a Chemex several years ago. It is the best coffee that I've been able to make. Just sort of takes a long time to pour it over but it's worth it.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:20 pm

Local Lion is legit. Only problem: it's always packed. So you gotta park illegally at either the Scotchman or those crappy apartments and go get your java.

My brew of choice is Member's Mark Donut Shop K-Cups when I'm at the house. If I'm rolling, DD coffee is my go-to. Otherwise, I just go without.

IM4ASU

Unread post by IM4ASU » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:02 am

I'll just go through McDonalds drive through and get my 50 cent cup of coffee!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:46 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:57 am

New election filings at the NLRB: 500 faculty members at ArtCenter College of Design in Pasadena, CA are organizing with the California Federation of Teachers. 479 Starbucks workers at 17 stores filed for elections with Workers United in: Chicago; St. Louis (x2); Boston; Pittsburgh (x2); Sun Valley, CA; Colorado Springs; Stevensville, Olney, Bel Air, and Nottingham, MD; Oklahoma City and Norman, OK; Warwick, RI; Denton, TX; Cottonwood Heights, UT; and Boone, NC
Really? What makes you so gleeful about this development in Boone?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:09 am

He’d love every company to be unionized.

The winners here are the union not those paying the union dues.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:11 am

IM4ASU wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:02 am
I'll just go through McDonalds drive through and get my 50 cent cup of coffee!
Absolutely, with a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit. Plus, hash brown too. I usually eat healthy, lot of fruit and vegetables, etc. However, I'll never turn down a Mickey Dee's breakfast. LOL Also, Hardees has excellent biscuits and gravy! :)

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:11 am

fjblair wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:46 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:57 am

Really? What makes you so gleeful about this development in Boone?
Always thought it was interesting how most Universities are left leaning even APP. But, with the our business school in place anti Union sentiments run high among Alums. Just my Humble observation over the years.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:48 am

The incredible amount of dollars and effort that large corporations will go through to stop workers from unionizing should be the answer as to whether unions beneficial to the low and middle class workers.

In Asheville the for-profit owner of the Western North Carolina hospital system spent tens of millions of dollars to try to block the nurses from unionizing. The healthcare industry is so messed up now they pay travel nurses five to eight times per shift what they will pay an employee living in their own community.

In 1960 60% of corporate income went to employee wages and benefits. It currently stands at 20% today. Corporate profits are at an all-time high. Yes there is inflation but we're being scammed with inflation and shortages of materials being the scapegoat to reap higher and higher profits.
Last edited by HighlandsApp on Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:55 am

I worked at a Starbucks for about 4 months after college before getting a job with the company that still employs me 15 years later…

I’m my experience at the time Starbucks was a really nice place to work. Nice hours, attention to cleanliness, detail, and quality. Everyone got paid a portion of cash tips every week in addition to their hourly wage. They ethically and sustainably sourced their beans. And (again I don’t know if they still have this policy) but part timers were eligible for benefits after 6 months of employment.

Yeah it’s expensive to buy a cup of coffee there but I have never understood the hate so many people have for that company. Nobody has ever been able to give me a real experience based reason they dislike Starbucks so much. I have always just chalked it up to “it became trendy to bag on Starbucks just like it became trendy to bag on Nickelback”.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:09 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:55 am
I worked at a Starbucks for about 4 months after college before getting a job with the company that still employs me 15 years later…

I’m my experience at the time Starbucks was a really nice place to work. Nice hours, attention to cleanliness, detail, and quality. Everyone got paid a portion of cash tips every week in addition to their hourly wage. They ethically and sustainably sourced their beans. And (again I don’t know if they still have this policy) but part timers were eligible for benefits after 6 months of employment.

Yeah it’s expensive to buy a cup of coffee there but I have never understood the hate so many people have for that company. Nobody has ever been able to give me a real experience based reason they dislike Starbucks so much. I have always just chalked it up to “it became trendy to bag on Starbucks just like it became trendy to bag on Nickelback”.
I don't hate Starbucks. My beef with them is they charge what they do for a sorry cup of what they call coffee.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:13 am

ASU84 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:09 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:55 am

I don't hate Starbucks. My beef with them is they charge what they do for a sorry cup of what they call coffee.
Used to be able to get those super sweet sugary fake cappuccinos squirted out of a machine at the Scotchman for under a dollar.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:38 am

Starbucks can be a bad neighbor. At times, their customers create havoc to the flow of traffic around their Hickory-Viewmont location. Across the street Chick-Fil-A handles a much larger volume of drive through customers, and they do so without creating problems on the throughways. I am sure results vary by location and that maybe most Starbucks have a proper site design, but they did well to fool the City of Hickory into approving what they did at the aforementioned location.

That aside, would anyone here impede traffic to wait in a long line for an over-priced cup of coffee? I hope not.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”