Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Boone Starbucks

AppDub
School: Appalachian State

Re: Boone Starbucks

Unread post by AppDub » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:45 am

It has always been my personal observation in 25 years of business that a group of individuals with the same "skill" do not always have the same "will". Think I'll brew my coffee at home from here on out. Won't have to wait for the obstruction mover to come remove the filter.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:06 am

wb247 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:37 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:14 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:27 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:38 am
I have seen unions ruin good paying jobs and I think they most likely hurt innovation and overall productivity.
It has been a few years but the last time I saw some numbers unionized jobs were more productive. There tends to be less turn-over, which is a big part of the higher productivity I think was part of the explanation, but it also pushed for a better level of management in allocating resources.

At the time, the one exception was the banking industry and non-union banks, and that is just about every bank out there, did have higher productivity.
i'm not up on industry wide standards, but in my experience its the opposite. I work in the Aerospace manufacturing industry, one of the few where the US is the world leader in manufacturing still. My largest customer is an Engine OEM. Their non union shops ALWAYS outperform their union shops in nearly every metric.

In my own company, we have two locations, one is union one isn't. The non union shop laughably outpaces the union shop. In fact, we just had some C-level turnover because our parent company found out our leadership was transferring profits from the non union location to the union location to hide how bad they were doing. This isn't entirely because of the union, but they are woefully behind the non union shop on productivity metrics. As an example, in our union shop, if there is an obstruction (like a piece of metal) in the way of a forklift, the operator has to call the guy who removes obstructions. This is a huge warehouse so sometimes it can take 10 or 20 minutes for the guy to get to the obstruction, while the forklift operator plays on his phone. This would take 30 seconds for the operator to get out and pick up the piece of metal and move it out of the way. Meanwhile, the entire process is held up for half an hour waiting for a guy to pick up a piece of trash. Rinse and repeat all along the process chain and you have a ton of wasted productivity.
Just need to renegotiate the contract so that they get paid double time any time they have to do someone else's job... if they're playing on a phone anyway, they might as well be logging their actions. Of course, you'll need more legal staff to handle the grievances in addition to the union rep needing more staff.... job creation?
and i don't want to crap on unions, they are full of good people that are just trying to provide for their families, but what i've seen anecdotally at these locations is they haven't adjusted to the new landscape of manufacturing in this country.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue May 03, 2022 7:14 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:06 am
wb247 wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:38 am
I have seen unions ruin good paying jobs and I think they most likely hurt innovation and overall productivity.
It has been a few years but the last time I saw some numbers unionized jobs were more productive. There tends to be less turn-over, which is a big part of the higher productivity I think was part of the explanation, but it also pushed for a better level of management in allocating resources.

At the time, the one exception was the banking industry and non-union banks, and that is just about every bank out there, did have higher productivity.
i'm not up on industry wide standards, but in my experience its the opposite. I work in the Aerospace manufacturing industry, one of the few where the US is the world leader in manufacturing still. My largest customer is an Engine OEM. Their non union shops ALWAYS outperform their union shops in nearly every metric.

In my own company, we have two locations, one is union one isn't. The non union shop laughably outpaces the union shop. In fact, we just had some C-level turnover because our parent company found out our leadership was transferring profits from the non union location to the union location to hide how bad they were doing. This isn't entirely because of the union, but they are woefully behind the non union shop on productivity metrics. As an example, in our union shop, if there is an obstruction (like a piece of metal) in the way of a forklift, the operator has to call the guy who removes obstructions. This is a huge warehouse so sometimes it can take 10 or 20 minutes for the guy to get to the obstruction, while the forklift operator plays on his phone. This would take 30 seconds for the operator to get out and pick up the piece of metal and move it out of the way. Meanwhile, the entire process is held up for half an hour waiting for a guy to pick up a piece of trash. Rinse and repeat all along the process chain and you have a ton of wasted productivity.
Just need to renegotiate the contract so that they get paid double time any time they have to do someone else's job... if they're playing on a phone anyway, they might as well be logging their actions. Of course, you'll need more legal staff to handle the grievances in addition to the union rep needing more staff.... job creation?
and i don't want to crap on unions, they are full of good people that are just trying to provide for their families, but what i've seen anecdotally at these locations is they haven't adjusted to the new landscape of manufacturing in this country.
How do you adjust to slave wages and unsafe working conditions except to become a slave and work with locked doors and such? Are you advocating slavery?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue May 03, 2022 7:15 pm

https://theappalachianonline.com/boone- ... qIOZbcYQak

Not just a win but a blowout win and with some App Students involved. I guess I should have posted this is App General Discussion. So proud to be a Mountaineer.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue May 03, 2022 8:12 pm

Tue May 03, 2022 7:14 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
wb247 wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:

How do you adjust to slave wages and unsafe working conditions except to become a slave and work with locked doors and such? Are you advocating slavery?
What are slave wages? I could be wrong, maybe I should just Google it to check, but I don't recall slavery involving wages. Maybe that is just a certain term used by people who desperately want to be seen as victims in the modern era so they try to say they are like slaves....but I guess slaves that get paid? Wait wait wait, I get it now, slave wages are what the slaves who go to attain a college education get right?

I hope this crew has some solid lawyers, they are going to need them.

Also this: womp womp....😭

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

""But future wage hikes are coming. And they won't necessarily apply to workers in unionized stores, he said.

"Today, we take further steps to modernize our pay and benefits vision for our partners with further investments in wage ... and in September, we will share additional initiatives we are planning for Starbucks partners," he said.

The company will invest $200 million in wages, equipment and training, among other benefits, on top of previously announced commitments, Schultz said. Overall, Starbucks is planning to spend about $1 billion this fiscal year on employees and improving customer experience in stores.

Workers at company-operated stores "will receive these wages and benefit enhancements," he said, as Starbucks (SBUX) can control their pay

But "we do not have the same freedom to make these improvements at locations that have a union or where union organizing is underway," he said, adding that federal law "prohibits us from promising new wages and benefits at stores involved in union organizing""

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue May 03, 2022 8:46 pm

I am indifferent to whether Boone Starbucks unionizes or not. Up to them. ....the quotes from Schultz above are initiatives in place to hopefully influence other locations to not unionize...so the stores that unionized helped influence this initiative whether they directly benefit or not. If the 100 or so stores had not unionized, Schultz and Co. would not be implementing these initiatives..Just my opinion.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed May 04, 2022 5:29 am

Tue May 03, 2022 7:15 pm
https://theappalachianonline.com/boone- ... qIOZbcYQak

Not just a win but a blowout win and with some App Students involved. I guess I should have posted this is App General Discussion. So proud to be a Mountaineer.
Never wasted my money on their overpriced swill anyway. Just another reason not to go there.

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Wed May 04, 2022 7:01 am

Starbucks Plans Barista Raises, Says Unionized Cafes Will Need to Bargain (from the WSJ)

Mr. Schultz, Starbucks’s longtime leader who returned in April for a third stint as CEO, has ratcheted up the company’s efforts to persuade baristas that Starbucks, not a labor union, can best look out for employees’ interests.
A “union contract will not come even close to what Starbucks offers,” Mr. Schultz said Tuesday during an investor call.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/starbucks- ... _permalink

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Wed May 04, 2022 12:51 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:

Yep, robots don't unionize. :D

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed May 04, 2022 12:53 pm

Tue May 03, 2022 7:14 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
wb247 wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:

Sorry I don’t want this to devolve into rash hyperbole and histrionics.

This is probably the difference between low skill retail and skilled manufacturing but our non union and union shops are very well compensated with pay and benefits. My customer even more so.

The problems we have with the union arent over pay, it’s with productivity

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Wed May 04, 2022 4:37 pm

Those kids voting for union in a coffee shop won't be working there in a year. .... coffee shop/ unions???
I do know unions are good in dangerous industries but beyond that they are asking for more automation to take over.
The kids are ill educated on their future

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Thu May 05, 2022 8:24 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:37 pm
Those kids voting for union in a coffee shop won't be working there in a year. .... coffee shop/ unions???
I do know unions are good in dangerous industries but beyond that they are asking for more automation to take over.
Hopefully the college students that were involved in the organizing effort are smart enough to omit this activity/experience from their resumes unless they are seeking union-friendly jobs.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Thu May 05, 2022 12:34 pm

Appst86 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:24 am
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:37 pm
Hopefully the college students that were involved in the organizing effort are smart enough to omit this activity/experience from their resumes unless they are seeking union-friendly jobs.
Ha
Intelligence test

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”