Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Charlotte Checkers Hockey Team

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Charlotte Checkers Hockey Team

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:21 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:05 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:52 pm
Maybe with the ACC leaving Greensboro and likely losing the ACC men's BB tourney beyond once in a decade UNCG might open some dates for hockey as they do not need 20,000 seats. They can play a few games on campus in Fleming and the pull to play the ACC teams was due to hosting the ACC tourney at the Coliseum later in the year. That pull is gone. FPHL or SPHL could draw more than UNCG basketball for most games. It would be worth a try.
Sounds like a good idea but in what facility would they house a hockey facility in? Can't just tear it down and find a place to store the equipment while other events are held.. Having said that, more hockey is better than no hockey at all.
Happens all the time. Take down the boards and cover the ice. When the event is over put the boards back up.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:53 pm

NewApp wrote:
Maybe with the ACC leaving Greensboro and likely losing the ACC men's BB tourney beyond once in a decade UNCG might open some dates for hockey as they do not need 20,000 seats. They can play a few games on campus in Fleming and the pull to play the ACC teams was due to hosting the ACC tourney at the Coliseum later in the year. That pull is gone. FPHL or SPHL could draw more than UNCG basketball for most games. It would be worth a try.
Sounds like a good idea but in what facility would they house a hockey facility in? Can't just tear it down and find a place to store the equipment while other events are held.. Having said that, more hockey is better than no hockey at all.
That leave the ice down and keep it frozen and then build on top. Happens a lot in cities with ice hockey and basketball

I found this (though I will not tell you HOW I found it.)

https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/how-doe ... ockey-rink
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:49 pm

bcoach wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:21 pm
NewApp wrote:
Happens all the time. Take down the boards and cover the ice. When the event is over put the boards back up.
If you say so.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:53 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:49 pm
bcoach wrote:
NewApp wrote:
If you say so.
I do.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:55 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:49 pm
bcoach wrote:
NewApp wrote:
If you say so.
NC State and the Hurricanes have played games in the same building on the same day. I’ve literally watched them pull up the court to reveal the ice and put the boards in, in person.

Here’s a video of it happening:
Give 'em hell!

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:31 pm

The Greensboro coliseum could and should be used.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:35 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:02 pm
All I can say about the Checkers present program after the Hurricanes "ditched" them is there is plenty of beer and assortments of it. .. Bojangles and chicken while it lasts. The assortment of Checkers gear is zilch even on line. Oh, and I left out there is free parking since the Canes traded them or whatever.

I don't drink alcohol,, so there is that. Most of the food vendors fold up before the first period is over. Beer goes on even after a few minutes past the end of the game. The excitement of play is still there, just missing all the atmosphere. Having said that I am still going to Checkers games just because I like hockey.
It sucks not being able to watch the home grown guys advance to the Canes roster since I'm a Canes fan, but the Checkers are a strong organization with loyal ownership and try hard to put a winning brand on the ice. Been a great start to the season for them after a collapse in playoffs last year.
The Appalachian State

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:57 pm

appstatealum, I agree. The quality of play on the ice is just about as good as last regular season. Too, they were 4-0 after the last game we attended last Sat night. I miss the long breaks where the cheer team would perform and they had something better than the boring ball throwing at the little cars. Too, the cheer/dance team would clean the ice in their uniforms. Now they have a rag tag bunch cleaning the ice. It gets done pretty much as well, but looks dinky.
About the playoffs last year, don't you think they just met their match and were made to look weak because of the quality of the teams they faced? Having asked that, I didn't get to see them in the playoffs, just listened to them on the app.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”