Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Charlotte Checkers Hockey Team

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Charlotte Checkers Hockey Team

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:07 pm

About 4,500.
https://henrico.us/news/2020/10/henrico ... ts-center/

I'm figuring that's for basketball, so probably slightly less for hockey.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:11 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:07 pm
About 4,500.

If they could get 3500-4000 it would work for SPHL

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:34 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:11 pm
AppinVA wrote:
About 4,500.

The 17,000 seat arena has been approved, so I'm thinking the primary tenant will be at least an ECHL team. Perhaps, an AHL team, as Charlotte is on an island in the AHL. This new arena is on the opposite side of town from me, but I'll probably see at least five games a season, whatever comes.
https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/10/13 ... newsletter
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:06 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:08 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:40 am
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:29 pm
1ASU78 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:17 pm
tromboneman wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:20 am

I used to have season tickets to the Greensboro Generals. Games with Charlotte Checkers were epic!!
The Generals! That’s it.
The old ECHL with Charlotte, Richmond, Roanoke, Raleigh, Greensboro and Hampton Roads was epic. The hockey wasn’t the best, but you could be assured of some great fights.

Some fan groups would take trips to nearby cities. It was almost like soccer hooligans in England. Great times.
I had season tickets for the Raleigh Ice Caps from day one to day last. Was also an off ice official for a couple years. The best games were when Hampton Roads and John Brophy cam to town. He even got arrested one trip. Worse experience was when we took a road trip to Richmond as fans. Had to literally fight our way out of the place. One year when we played Greensboro on Halloween night that lasted past midnight. At one point the ref was calling numbers and penalties to us office officials so as to keep it straight. Seven or eight guys in each penalty box, standing room only. Then threw a few out to finish the game. Those were the days. Then the Hurricanes came along and season tickets were no longer affordable. I now am a sponsor and have season tickets for the Roanoke Rail yard Dawgs of the SPHL. Good times again. Would love to see a team in Greensboro.
I’m hoping with the new arena in Richmond coming on in a couple years we can get an ECHL team again, but it will never be the same.
The ECHL is a very interesting minor league. If I remember correctly they are tied to the remains of the league that had Spruce Pine as a team. Somehow found themselves in larger cities and then have a connection to the NHL as a AA type level below the AAA of the AHL. And their players are unionized, and along with the AHL the only minor league players union in North America that I am aware of. In fact I think the same union represents both AHL and ECHL players. From a shaky start to part of the establishment is pretty amazing for a minor league and a minor league for a winter sport that had a strong start in the south is even more amazing. I wish we still had ECHL in NC. I am not sure if we could support it. I am not sure what crowd sizes are needed now but likely a bit more than W-S of the FPHL or Fayetteville of the SPHL are pulling in.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:38 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:34 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:11 pm
AppinVA wrote:
About 4,500.

The 17,000 seat arena has been approved, so I'm thinking the primary tenant will be at least an ECHL team. Perhaps, an AHL team, as Charlotte is on an island in the AHL. This new arena is on the opposite side of town from me, but I'll probably see at least five games a season, whatever comes.
https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/10/13 ... newsletter
I hope you get it. Nothing will ever be like the old days in the ECHL but all hockey is good hockey. Does anybody know how to get a schedule for the ASU club team?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:42 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:06 pm
AppinVA wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
1ASU78 wrote:

The Generals! That’s it.
The old ECHL with Charlotte, Richmond, Roanoke, Raleigh, Greensboro and Hampton Roads was epic. The hockey wasn’t the best, but you could be assured of some great fights.

Some fan groups would take trips to nearby cities. It was almost like soccer hooligans in England. Great times.
I had season tickets for the Raleigh Ice Caps from day one to day last. Was also an off ice official for a couple years. The best games were when Hampton Roads and John Brophy cam to town. He even got arrested one trip. Worse experience was when we took a road trip to Richmond as fans. Had to literally fight our way out of the place. One year when we played Greensboro on Halloween night that lasted past midnight. At one point the ref was calling numbers and penalties to us office officials so as to keep it straight. Seven or eight guys in each penalty box, standing room only. Then threw a few out to finish the game. Those were the days. Then the Hurricanes came along and season tickets were no longer affordable. I now am a sponsor and have season tickets for the Roanoke Rail yard Dawgs of the SPHL. Good times again. Would love to see a team in Greensboro.
I’m hoping with the new arena in Richmond coming on in a couple years we can get an ECHL team again, but it will never be the same.
The ECHL is a very interesting minor league. If I remember correctly they are tied to the remains of the league that had Spruce Pine as a team. Somehow found themselves in larger cities and then have a connection to the NHL as a AA type level below the AAA of the AHL. And their players are unionized, and along with the AHL the only minor league players union in North America that I am aware of. In fact I think the same union represents both AHL and ECHL players. From a shaky start to part of the establishment is pretty amazing for a minor league and a minor league for a winter sport that had a strong start in the south is even more amazing. I wish we still had ECHL in NC. I am not sure if we could support it. I am not sure what crowd sizes are needed now but likely a bit more than W-S of the FPHL or Fayetteville of the SPHL are pulling in.
My guess is that they need somewhere around 5-8k but I have been away from that league for about 20 years. That's when I left Raleigh.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:56 pm

I was thinking 4k on the low side. I think W-S is hitting around 2k or maybe a bit less or at least was pre-Covid. I think the FPHL is designed for smaller crowds on the weekend with no workday games to speak of. Less games so smaller salary and players can get another job during the week.

I would like to think Greensboro could pull 5k on average if they could work around UNCG basketballs schedules.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:07 pm

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:56 pm
I was thinking 4k on the low side. I think W-S is hitting around 2k or maybe a bit less or at least was pre-Covid. I think the FPHL is designed for smaller crowds on the weekend with no workday games to speak of. Less games so smaller salary and players can get another job during the week.

I would like to think Greensboro could pull 5k on average if they could work around UNCG basketballs schedules.
FHL actually does have weekday games. The salary cap is around $4500 a week for the whole team. I think you have to have some kind of outside support to be able to play in that league. Parents, savings from summer jobs etc. You don't play in that league for the money or the ability to ever get to the AHL or NHL. They just play for the love of the game and actually I love that.
Our team is in the SPHL and it is more money but not a ton, I think around 7k a week for the team. The team also supplies a place to live during the season but between practice and travel there is not much time to be able to get any other employment. There are booster clubs that are allowed to supply a certain amount of food. They also get a food allowance on the road. Again they are doing it for the love of the game.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:15 pm

You are correct about the FPHL having a few workday games. I knew they had a couple but is even a few more than that so not technically a weekend league.

The T-birds had a former NHL player the season that Covid started. He was so much bigger than everyone else. It was obvious when he was on the ice. I think his time in the NHL was up but he still wanted to play some hockey. I think I heard he was a firefighter for Kernersville and would suit up when not at work.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:39 pm

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:15 pm
You are correct about the FPHL having a few workday games. I knew they had a couple but is even a few more than that so not technically a weekend league.

The T-birds had a former NHL player the season that Covid started. He was so much bigger than everyone else. It was obvious when he was on the ice. I think his time in the NHL was up but he still wanted to play some hockey. I think I heard he was a firefighter for Kernersville and would suit up when not at work.
The ECHL team in Roanoke a few years back had a former NHL goalie who just wanted to keep playing. He is a friend and a really good guy. He is now a fishing guide and the goalie coach at a local unnamed college. Just became eligible for his NHL pension. It is pretty rare but I guess he just didn't want to give it up like the T-birds guy.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:30 pm

“I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.” RD

PuckHead07

Unread post by PuckHead07 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:59 am

I love to see some hockey talk like this!
I don’t know if someone responded yet but someone asked for the club team schedule
https://www.appstatehockey.org/ :x schedule
They only have one “home” game in W-S 2/11 at 10:45 pm.
We just moved up to Boone from Raleigh and hockey is what I miss the most (my wife would say Target).
I did build a little outdoor rink for me and my son to shoot on that has done well for the last cold month.
I just think hockey is a perfect fit up here with the cold/snow culture.
I wish the university would Help the club hockey team get in to the ACCHL like the rest of the North Carolina schools and find them a place to play locally!
This is a pipe dream but could you imagine hockey in the Holmes Center?
I mean ECU does more for hockey than we do :x :x

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:19 pm

AppinVA wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
1ASU78 wrote:

The Generals! That’s it.

I believe that was the North American Hockey League that had the Pinebridge Bucks- named after the guy that invented BuckStoves. W-S was in that as well. But, yes, it spawned the ECHL of today. Greensboro NEEDS hockey back as I had season tickets for many many years, both ECHL and AHL. When the AHL came, it was slow to catch on to the ECHL Monarchs. Second generation of Generals (99-04) never regained the Monarchs magic. Sadly we haven’t had hockey since.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:43 pm

YesAppCan wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:19 pm
AppinVA wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppinVA wrote:

I believe that was the North American Hockey League that had the Pinebridge Bucks- named after the guy that invented BuckStoves. W-S was in that as well. But, yes, it spawned the ECHL of today. Greensboro NEEDS hockey back as I had season tickets for many many years, both ECHL and AHL. When the AHL came, it was slow to catch on to the ECHL Monarchs. Second generation of Generals (99-04) never regained the Monarchs magic. Sadly we haven’t had hockey since.
We are very lucky to have the ownership we do in Roanoke. The McGinn family is the majority owners. Brock who played for Carolina and now Pittsburg, Jamie who retired from NHL last year, and Tye who played in the NHL for a few years and is nor overseas, and their father Bob. Since his retirement Jamie has now become Chairman. So we have strong financials and a ton of hockey knowledge. Our home opener was a couple days ago and we drew 5000.
I sure wish APP played some games around here.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:52 pm

Maybe with the ACC leaving Greensboro and likely losing the ACC men's BB tourney beyond once in a decade UNCG might open some dates for hockey as they do not need 20,000 seats. They can play a few games on campus in Fleming and the pull to play the ACC teams was due to hosting the ACC tourney at the Coliseum later in the year. That pull is gone. FPHL or SPHL could draw more than UNCG basketball for most games. It would be worth a try.
Last edited by McLeansvilleAppFan on Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:57 pm

Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:52 pm
Maybe with the ACC leaving Greensboro and likely losing the ACC men's BB tourney beyond once in a decade UNCG might open some dates for hockey as they do not need 20,000 seats. They can play a few games on campus in Fleming and the pull to play the ACC teams was due to hosting the ACC tourney at the Coliseum later in the year. That pull is gone. FPHL of SPHL would could draw more than UNCG basketball for most games. It would be worth a try.
I know our ownership would LOVE to see a team in Greensboro and our fans would be ecstatic. We would also travel well.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:01 pm

I'll bet YesAppCan would be there opening night!

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:19 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:43 pm
YesAppCan wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:19 pm
AppinVA wrote:
bcoach wrote:

We are very lucky to have the ownership we do in Roanoke. The McGinn family is the majority owners. Brock who played for Carolina and now Pittsburg, Jamie who retired from NHL last year, and Tye who played in the NHL for a few years and is nor overseas, and their father Bob. Since his retirement Jamie has now become Chairman. So we have strong financials and a ton of hockey knowledge. Our home opener was a couple days ago and we drew 5000.
I sure wish APP played some games around here.
Rail dawgs games are a blast! My buddy has season tickets and I’ve been to a few the last several years. Never really got into hockey until I went to those games. We had the Asheville smoke when I was a kid but they didn’t last long for what I remember.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:02 pm

All I can say about the Checkers present program after the Hurricanes "ditched" them is there is plenty of beer and assortments of it. .. Bojangles and chicken while it lasts. The assortment of Checkers gear is zilch even on line. Oh, and I left out there is free parking since the Canes traded them or whatever.

I don't drink alcohol,, so there is that. Most of the food vendors fold up before the first period is over. Beer goes on even after a few minutes past the end of the game. The excitement of play is still there, just missing all the atmosphere. Having said that I am still going to Checkers games just because I like hockey.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:05 pm

Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:52 pm
Maybe with the ACC leaving Greensboro and likely losing the ACC men's BB tourney beyond once in a decade UNCG might open some dates for hockey as they do not need 20,000 seats. They can play a few games on campus in Fleming and the pull to play the ACC teams was due to hosting the ACC tourney at the Coliseum later in the year. That pull is gone. FPHL or SPHL could draw more than UNCG basketball for most games. It would be worth a try.
Sounds like a good idea but in what facility would they house a hockey facility in? Can't just tear it down and find a place to store the equipment while other events are held.. Having said that, more hockey is better than no hockey at all.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”