Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Charlotte Checkers Hockey Team

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Charlotte Checkers Hockey Team

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:42 am

Are the Checkers no longer a minor league team for the Carolina Hurricanes?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: Charlotte Checkers Hockey Team

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:55 am

Affiliated with Seattle and Florida now
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:38 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:55 am
That explains why it is not as good of an experience as it was. Why is it no longer a Hurricanes minor league team? Concessions are ridiculously priced. $7.00 for the little cup of Dipping Dots or whatever they are called.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:08 am

I can’t answer the concession questions. I just looked up their Wikipedia page to answer the first question.

I didn’t notice anything on their Wikipedia page about concession prices.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:08 am

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:38 am
That explains why it is not as good of an experience as it was. Why is it no longer a Hurricanes minor league team? Concessions are ridiculously priced. $7.00 for the little cup of Dipping Dots or whatever they are called.
Professional affiliation has nothing to do with pricing in the stands at the minor league level...you do know that, right? That is 100% markets and variables (suppliers, venue, etc.). I'm not even sure how you could begin to think the two were connected? I mean, do you go to a Greensboro Grasshoppers game and see that the soda is $1 more or the popcorn .50 cents higher than at a Winston-Salem Dash game and think to yourself, "Damn Pittsburgh Pirates screwing me over - I'm going to go to games in Winston-Salem instead because the Chicago White Sox know how to treat their fans!" -- Seriously though, how would one ever believe the two were connected?

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:20 am

In a weird way I agree they are connected. My understanding was COVID crushed the Checkers and the owners tried to get a little more money from the Hurricanes to help cover losses. They were close, but could not agree on a deal. The Hurricanes found another minor league team and the Checkers found whatever partners they could get. So now after Covid losses and less revenue from the NHL team, the Checkers seem to be jacking up prices all across the board.

I went to the game yesterday was blown away at how much more expensive everything was versus precovid, including ticket prices. I don't think it is sustainable, attendance was down quite a bit.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:35 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:08 am
NewApp wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:38 am
Professional affiliation has nothing to do with pricing in the stands at the minor league level...you do know that, right? That is 100% markets and variables (suppliers, venue, etc.). I'm not even sure how you could begin to think the two were connected? I mean, do you go to a Greensboro Grasshoppers game and see that the soda is $1 more or the popcorn .50 cents higher than at a Winston-Salem Dash game and think to yourself, "Damn Pittsburgh Pirates screwing me over - I'm going to go to games in Winston-Salem instead because the Chicago White Sox know how to treat their fans!" -- Seriously though, how would one ever believe the two were connected?
All I know is that the concession prices are much higher now than previous seasons.
A positive was the organist is very professional, talented and courteous. He autographed a jersey I bought for my son.
Also, the price of admission is similar or the same as it was a couple years ago. Too, they no longer charge for parking.
Google SUX

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:44 am

We’re the Checkers a Greensboro team a long time ago?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:02 am

1ASU78 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:44 am
Greensboro had a team, Greensboro Monarchs, that was really good. Believe they went away when the Hurricanes started. Think they used their arena until the Raleigh one was finished. Not sure if the Monarchs or another team ever came back.

tromboneman

Unread post by tromboneman » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:20 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:02 am
1ASU78 wrote:
Greensboro had a team, Greensboro Monarchs, that was really good. Believe they went away when the Hurricanes started. Think they used their arena until the Raleigh one was finished. Not sure if the Monarchs or another team ever came back.
I used to have season tickets to the Greensboro Generals. Games with Charlotte Checkers were epic!!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:37 am

Shawn Wheeler played for the Greensboro Monarchs from 90-93, Checkers from 94-97. He was one of the most popular black players in the ECHL, and played a fun to watch aggressive style game. He was on Checkers championship team and later coached them. After his time with the Checkers, he had a spot n WFNZ, not sure if still on there.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 pm

The goalie for the visiting team (Lehigh) yesterday and Saturday has been selected for the Olympic team.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:27 pm

1ASU78 wrote:
Greensboro had an AHL for a one season after success in the ECHL. Then the Hurricanes came in for two years and after the Hurricanes left Greensboro moved back to the ECHL from 1999-2004 and been without hockey since. W-S have had the Thunderbirds off and on and currently have them playing in W-S.

UNCG men's basketball is essentially the major tneant during the winter months in the main arena it seems. I imagine the convention center part could host UNCG men but it is a bit dumpy and not a college feel for UNCG but they would have seating capacity. The G-League has their own building/court in a separate part of the complex. I doubt the two could make it work in the same space. My point being, as much as I would love some minor league hockey in Greensboro I am guessing it may not work with scheduling very well with the current tenants.

If they could put ice in the convention center area they would likely have seating about what W-S has at the Fairground annex that is used by the Thunderbirds. Not good enough for ECHL but good enough for some sort of low level hockey.

Indoor football is also at the Greensboro Coliseum in the summer.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:17 pm

tromboneman wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:20 am
1ASU78 wrote:
I used to have season tickets to the Greensboro Generals. Games with Charlotte Checkers were epic!!
The Generals! That’s it.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:29 pm

1ASU78 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:17 pm
tromboneman wrote:
1ASU78 wrote:
The Generals! That’s it.
The old ECHL with Charlotte, Richmond, Roanoke, Raleigh, Greensboro and Hampton Roads was epic. The hockey wasn’t the best, but you could be assured of some great fights.

Some fan groups would take trips to nearby cities. It was almost like soccer hooligans in England. Great times.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:40 am

AppinVA wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:29 pm
1ASU78 wrote:
tromboneman wrote:
1ASU78 wrote:
The Generals! That’s it.
The old ECHL with Charlotte, Richmond, Roanoke, Raleigh, Greensboro and Hampton Roads was epic. The hockey wasn’t the best, but you could be assured of some great fights.

Some fan groups would take trips to nearby cities. It was almost like soccer hooligans in England. Great times.
I had season tickets for the Raleigh Ice Caps from day one to day last. Was also an off ice official for a couple years. The best games were when Hampton Roads and John Brophy cam to town. He even got arrested one trip. Worse experience was when we took a road trip to Richmond as fans. Had to literally fight our way out of the place. One year when we played Greensboro on Halloween night that lasted past midnight. At one point the ref was calling numbers and penalties to us office officials so as to keep it straight. Seven or eight guys in each penalty box, standing room only. Then threw a few out to finish the game. Those were the days. Then the Hurricanes came along and season tickets were no longer affordable. I now am a sponsor and have season tickets for the Roanoke Rail yard Dawgs of the SPHL. Good times again. Would love to see a team in Greensboro.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:08 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:40 am
AppinVA wrote:
1ASU78 wrote:
tromboneman wrote:

The Generals! That’s it.

I had season tickets for the Raleigh Ice Caps from day one to day last. Was also an off ice official for a couple years. The best games were when Hampton Roads and John Brophy cam to town. He even got arrested one trip. Worse experience was when we took a road trip to Richmond as fans. Had to literally fight our way out of the place. One year when we played Greensboro on Halloween night that lasted past midnight. At one point the ref was calling numbers and penalties to us office officials so as to keep it straight. Seven or eight guys in each penalty box, standing room only. Then threw a few out to finish the game. Those were the days. Then the Hurricanes came along and season tickets were no longer affordable. I now am a sponsor and have season tickets for the Roanoke Rail yard Dawgs of the SPHL. Good times again. Would love to see a team in Greensboro.
I’m hoping with the new arena in Richmond coming on in a couple years we can get an ECHL team again, but it will never be the same.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:33 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:08 pm
bcoach wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
1ASU78 wrote:
tromboneman wrote:

The Generals! That’s it.

I’m hoping with the new arena in Richmond coming on in a couple years we can get an ECHL team again, but it will never be the same.
Before COVID hit there were talks going on for an SPHL team in Richmond. Pretty much dead for now.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:00 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:33 pm
AppinVA wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
1ASU78 wrote:

The Generals! That’s it.

Before COVID hit there were talks going on for an SPHL team in Richmond. Pretty much dead for now.
I hope that's not the case. There are two arenas planned that will hold ice. One is a small barn that would be adequate for a SPHL team, and the other will be something that will be good enough to land NCAA Tournament first and second round games. I hope that's where a new ECHL team can go. I haven't heard much on either since last summer, so I hope the plans for the larger arena are still on.

I used to go to Renegades games with Charlotte gear on back around 2000, and yeah, we would get things thrown at us in the parking lots. I laughed it off, and I miss those days. The Hurricanes move to Raleigh ruined an awesome time for southern hockey (spoken as a Penguins fan who grew up in Charlotte and isn't a big fan of anything RDU), but I guess it's great for the folks around the Triangle.

And Brophy did more for hockey in Virginia than everyone else combined. It was truly Slapshot in real life.

We didn't realize how good we had it at the time.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:52 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:00 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:33 pm
AppinVA wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppinVA wrote:

I hope that's not the case. There are two arenas planned that will hold ice. One is a small barn that would be adequate for a SPHL team, and the other will be something that will be good enough to land NCAA Tournament first and second round games. I hope that's where a new ECHL team can go. I haven't heard much on either since last summer, so I hope the plans for the larger arena are still on.

I used to go to Renegades games with Charlotte gear on back around 2000, and yeah, we would get things thrown at us in the parking lots. I laughed it off, and I miss those days. The Hurricanes move to Raleigh ruined an awesome time for southern hockey (spoken as a Penguins fan who grew up in Charlotte and isn't a big fan of anything RDU), but I guess it's great for the folks around the Triangle.

And Brophy did more for hockey in Virginia than everyone else combined. It was truly Slapshot in real life.

We didn't realize how good we had it at the time.
How many would the smaller arena hold?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”