Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Do Sports Really Matter?

newtoasu

Re: Do Sports Really Matter?

Unread post by newtoasu » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:51 pm

I read the first link by Dr. Ablow and said to myself that he has a point but wow did he take it overboard.

I then read the second link by Fay Vincent and he started his piece with my exact thoughts.

I agree that in the grand scheme of things sports do not change much in the world around us, but on a more intrinsic level they are very important to me and many, many others. That being said, I think it would be nice if we could dial it back a little.

appbio91
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:09 pm

newtoasu wrote:I read the first link by Dr. Ablow and said to myself that he has a point but wow did he take it overboard.

I then read the second link by Fay Vincent and he started his piece with my exact thoughts.

I agree that in the grand scheme of things sports do not change much in the world around us, but on a more intrinsic level they are very important to me and many, many others. That being said, I think it would be nice if we could dial it back a little.
In the great scheme of things it is true sports do not matter. But just to give a very small example of why they are not without value; I have hours of memories of working in the batting cage with my daughter. When she hit her first homerun it felt like nothing I have experienced . She will make a living doing something besides playing softball but damn we had a good time playing ball together.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:24 pm

"Sports don't matter."

- Western Carolina fans

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:41 pm

appbio91 wrote: In the great scheme of things it is true sports do not matter. But just to give a very small example of why they are not without value; I have hours of memories of working in the batting cage with my daughter. When she hit her first homerun it felt like nothing I have experienced . She will make a living doing something besides playing softball but damn we had a good time playing ball together.
Great post. And Absolutely true. I think if you ask either of my sons what their fondest memories of growing up are and they will be sports related; whether plaing or swimming, or attending SF Giants games or App State sporting events. I know some of the best times I've had are those events.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:02 pm

I would venture to guess that Dr. Ablow was the last picked to play dodgeball in gym class and rode the pine in any other sport he may have tried to play.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:11 pm

what about the family building process of your dad coaching your sports teams? I know for a fact our relationship wouldn't be the same today had it not been for that

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:00 pm

I agree with them that the sensationalist media has overblown, well, everything, but especially sports and their stars. I do think we have become too much of an entertainment driven nation. Sports certainly have a place in many ways but I do believe we have let them get way out of hand.

For everyone whose family got them in to sports at a young age, what do you think would have happened had they pushed you in to science fairs, writing contests, and education challenges? I think the pressure we are putting on these younger generations to thrive in sports has certainly taken something away from the idea of a STUDENT--athlete or simply being a great student. I think it goes hand in hand with an article such as this:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/01/ ... rcissists/
though not always true for each kid it is certainly becoming a huge factor.

Remember that with stuff like this you can't really look at our niche community here, you have to look at the whole picture(nation) when people are making grand general statements like these three articles.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:26 pm

In the grand scheme of things, sports probably don't matter, but then neither does art, literature or theater because, in the end, they are all just pastimes. Everybody tries to find things they can use to enahnce their kids' lives and to bond with them along the way.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:13 am

Sports are like most things. They are good in moderation. Teaching your child a sport is one of the most enjoyable thing you will ever do. Going to a game together will be special for the rest of your life. Some of the things that go on in collage and professional sports, not so much. Like so many things in life, money gets in the way.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:55 am

Ask Peacock and Cobb how much sports matter.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:42 am

Ask the kid in this story and video if sports matter...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... pring-game
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

leaveIaa

Unread post by leaveIaa » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:01 pm

Today the weather was beautiful in Huntersville. My Dad came over for a cookout to celebrate his 70th birthday. He and I played a game of whiffleball in the backyard against my 9 year old son (who plays travel baseball) and my two daughters (11 and 12). It will be a day I never forget and will cherish. No it wasn't a sport that really mattered, but it sure seemed like one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”