Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Very Interesting Article

GlassOnion

Very Interesting Article

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 am

From Jim O'day in Montana.

Check out this Iamarino quote:

Said SoCon Commissioner John Iamarino, “I wish I could push a button where (NCAA president) Mark Emmert would say, ‘Hey, this is not in the best interest of college athletics’ – because it clearly isn’t – ‘we’re going to put a five- or a 10-year moratorium on this.’ The only way to do that would be for the association as a membership to say let’s pick a date, an arbitrary date, whether it may be Jan. 1 of 2014, and anybody who wants to move, do it by then, and then after that, five years no movement, and let’s see what happens. But of course, you’re opening yourself up to lawsuits and the big conferences would never go for that. So it will never happen.”

http://www.makeitmissoula.com/2013/04/m ... -football/

Surely, he isnt hoping the NCAA will say no to FBS invitees and force schools to stay FCS?

Yosef
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Very Interesting Article

Unread post by Yosef » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:57 am

I am not sure what he means but I tend to think he is referring to all of the conference shuffling regardless of division. That's why he inserts that the big boys wouldn't like it. I don't see the SEC picking up any FCS teams any time soon.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:58 am

He just needs to go buy some vagasil and get over it.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:12 am

An FCS Commish endorsing a moratorium like that?

Reminds me of

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:31 am

He's lazy and he doesn't want to have to find any more schools to fit into the SoCon.
Give 'em hell!

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:16 am

BeauFoster wrote:He's lazy and he doesn't want to have to find any more schools to fit into the SoCon.
That's how I interpreted his comments. He can't be bothered by such things.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:22 am

I didn't read it that way at all. As a conference commissioner that just lost two of his most valuable commodities, I understand his frustrations. My guess is Karl Benson won't be a happy camper if the SBC loses more teams to expansion. There are only so many places to go for replacements.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:29 pm

Iammaniro said that during the teleconference last week. He kept his decor during the first few minutes but you could tell he was getting into his personal feelings when he went off on this without any provocation.

appalum2003

Unread post by appalum2003 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:46 pm

hapapp wrote:I didn't read it that way at all. As a conference commissioner that just lost two of his most valuable commodities, I understand his frustrations. My guess is Karl Benson won't be a happy camper if the SBC loses more teams to expansion. There are only so many places to go for replacements.
Stop signing TV deals with Big Bird and take this football business seriously. That's step one.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:46 pm

Luckily for us we don't have to worry about what Immamoron thinks anymore. It sucks for the schools still there, but that's their problem to deal with.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Really the FCS had very little relevance anyway. When a APP or JMU beats a major FBS it is something to talk about or when APP won three titles it was something, especially on a local (NC) level, but not much else. I bet 1 out of 10 people (that could tell you who won the FBS title) wouldn't even know one team that played in the FCS playoff.

That's not to say anything bad about anyone but really nothing changes. Only people that pull for a FCS team knows much about it and that's ok. But there really should be a difference for larger schools and schools that want to put more money in a program. Maybe three levels were too many however and there needs to be only two, but I don't think there should be moratorium. If a school wants to put the effort into football and they are supported they should be able to move. Didn't we just come off a moratorium anyway?

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:12 pm

Maddog1956 wrote:Really the FCS had very little relevance anyway. When a APP or JMU beats a major FBS it is something to talk about or when APP won three titles it was something, especially on a local (NC) level, but not much else. I bet 1 out of 10 people (that could tell you who won the FBS title) wouldn't even know one team that played in the FCS playoff.

That's not to say anything bad about anyone but really nothing changes. Only people that pull for a FCS team knows much about it and that's ok. But there really should be a difference for larger schools and schools that want to put more money in a program. Maybe three levels were too many however and there needs to be only two, but I don't think there should be moratorium. If a school wants to put the effort into football and they are supported they should be able to move. Didn't we just come off a moratorium anyway?

Well that argument was terrible whether or not we are FBS. Fact is nobody knows who wins or even plays in the vast majority of bowl games either. There are maybe 15 programs in the country that have any national relevance. And maybe 3-4 bowl games

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”